Author Topic: Regional protests over war  (Read 31610 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Regional protests over war
« Reply #15: October 25, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
Well, our regions were not "fond" of S.A. they were if anything room temperature, they had no reason to be fond of S.A.

And your second point merely compounds mine that if you mass declare at one time, you can take down a realm just through using war protest coding.

I'm not speaking to whether the current circumstance is fair, but the above isn't strictly true. This is a question the devs should be able to answer, though: just how fond of SA and the astrocracies your peasantry was. You really shouldn't ignore diplomat actions in any pursuit of total war, though.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 25, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Well, our regions were not "fond" of S.A. they were if anything room temperature, they had no reason to be fond of S.A.

Hm. You're sure that they hadn't had some diplomat down there softening things up? Because those "strongly object" messages should only happen when a region is highly sympathetic/loyal to the realm in question. Like,

And your second point merely compounds mine that if you mass declare at one time, you can take down a realm just through using war protest coding.

No, it means that you can't just have 1 realm declare war on 1 other realm; you need a large coalition before it even becomes a worry.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: October 25, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »
Hm. You're sure that they hadn't had some diplomat down there softening things up? Because those "strongly object" messages should only happen when a region is highly sympathetic/loyal to the realm in question. Like,

No, it means that you can't just have 1 realm declare war on 1 other realm; you need a large coalition before it even becomes a worry.

Why would our regions have high sympathy and loyalty to Sanguis Astroism, who are thousands of in game miles away from Aurvandil and have had no interaction with us?

And yes, that is my point, when you get a large coalition you find yourself with the power to immediately win by collapsing your opponent internally just by declaring war, which largely make Sanguis Astroism all the more untouchable.

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: October 25, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
The war aspect of war has been removed from the game with this coding. A realm can lose a war simply by its enemies exploiting game coding. Similarly how Thulsoma survived for a long time using gold exploits, though not to this extent. Aurvandil's regions have no love for S.A and to be fair, peasants wouldn't complain en masse about a war.

To give an example, in the Hundred Years War there were some towns and villages in England that had no idea the country had been at war with the French for a century. This is ridiculous stacked against Aurvandil at a rather convenient time seeing as the northern SA realms have been gunning for our downfall for quite a long time now..

This has made victory impossible for Aurvandil on a coding level which defeats the purpose of Aurvandil even trying in this war.
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 25, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
Aie....

OK, I've taken a look at the current state of Aurvandil's regions, and it looks like there's another bug at work here, which is what has caused many of the regions to be unnaturally loyal to realms they've never met.

I'm not sure exactly what the resolution should be here, but this is definitely causing the massive effects you're seeing. Normally the protests would be dramatically less widespread, and less severe where they do occur.

I will bring this up with the devs.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #20: October 25, 2012, 06:33:56 PM »
Well, actually, SA priests have been preaching down their repeatedly, so they probably WOULD have met said realms. <.<

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: October 25, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
Well, actually, SA priests have been preaching down their repeatedly, so they probably WOULD have met said realms. <.<

It's not like Allison was down there for ages with her 90%+ oratory skill and a genetic predisposition to trolling.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 25, 2012, 08:36:20 PM »
Priests alone couldn't make a whole realm's regions revolt with the little work they did, perhaps to some effect, but to make majority of a realm's regions revolt just due to a declaration of war. I hope this is fixed with due haste
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #23: October 25, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »

Do you have numbers from the game to back that up? There are many ways through which your people can get sympathy to even very distant realms. Unless you had diplomats checking those values in your realm, I don't see how you can claim that wasn't the case.

egamma

« Reply #24: October 25, 2012, 11:52:46 PM »
I have a very strong suspicion that Aurvandil runs very high tax rates. I suggest you drop the all to 8%--this will make your peasants a lot happier.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 26, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »
Eww. 8%..

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #26: October 26, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »
Eww. 8%..

It's almost as bad as the 98%, but at least it's better than the 99%.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 26, 2012, 01:00:44 AM »
Aie....

OK, I've taken a look at the current state of Aurvandil's regions, and it looks like there's another bug at work here, which is what has caused many of the regions to be unnaturally loyal to realms they've never met.

I'm not sure exactly what the resolution should be here, but this is definitely causing the massive effects you're seeing. Normally the protests would be dramatically less widespread, and less severe where they do occur.

I will bring this up with the devs.

Hey, I've seen this everywhere. Regions that are worshipful of Falkirk but never interacted with their nobles, for example... I've often seen cases of regions loving realms that they have had no reason to like, and not only on Dwilight.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: October 26, 2012, 01:20:18 AM »
Hey, I've seen this everywhere. Regions that are worshipful of Falkirk but never interacted with their nobles, for example... I've often seen cases of regions loving realms that they have had no reason to like, and not only on Dwilight.

Very weird... maybe the entire game is suffering from something...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 26, 2012, 01:40:35 AM »
Very weird... maybe the entire game is suffering from something...

There's nothing new here.

Many enweilian regions loved Sint... These two were never on good terms, there were never Sintian priests or diplomats in Enweil, and the only time their troops came was to fight and loot.

Such things are everywhere.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron