Author Topic: The Lonely Priest, Day One  (Read 1358 times)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The Lonely Priest, Day One
« Topic Start: February 19, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
Lucius sat on the floor of the monastery, scratching at the wool frock that had replaced his elegant, if relatively straightforward garb as Baron of Sasat. "What is this made of?" he complained. "Fleas?"

Magnus Dodd leaned against the door frame, still sporting his customary hauberk and knight's garb. "M'lud is appreciating why most priests do not chose ascetisim," he observed.

"But it's tremendously appealing to the masses," Lucius insisted. "That fellow yesterday was so impressed he converted on the spot!"

Dodd raised an eyebrow skeptically. "Prior to his arrival at m'lud's monastery, he worshipped a dead chicken. That he had on him. We had to take it away at the door."

Lucius frowned. "We also gave him free lunch," he added. "Conversion is tricky."

"He had two followers who didn't convert," Dodd added. "They took the chicken."

"A project for tomorrow!" Lucius declared. "Now. What's for dinner?"

"Gruel," Dodd deadpanned. "Or did m'lud wish to stop hobnobbing with the peasantry?"

"I enjoy gruel," Lucius said half-believably. "Reminds me of being on campaign. Besides which, authenticity is important! You'd not have converted without it, would you, Ser Dodd?"

Dodd pursed his lips.

"You did convert." Lucius peered at him. "Didn't you?"

"I am in m'lud's employ," Dodd allowed, "and shall make whatsoever gesture to whichever deity m'lud requires of me."

"Very tactful." Lucius rolled his eyes. "Any word from my cousin?"

Dodd grunted and produced a letter bearing the seal of the King of Cathay, which he cut. He read aloud:

"Dear cousin Lucius: You shall recall that I did not endeavor to sublimate myself to the war cult when it was fashionable and everyone was doing it, and I very much wonder at your thought that I might do so now that it is unfashionable and only you are doing it. You always did have a queer taste in hats. Best wishes, cousin Galiard."

Lucius thought for a moment. "Promising," he concluded. "He did not rule out the possibility."

"He also did not rule out the possibility of the dead chicken cult," Dodd said dryly.

"Mmm," Lucius agreed. "Best not tell him about them."