Author Topic: Autopause and Vacation Pauses  (Read 10432 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: How to write a helpful bug report
« Reply #15: October 30, 2012, 01:58:59 AM »
Yes. (Though there may still be a bit of cleanup that I haven't yet done regarding that. Should only be cosmetic, though.)

(For vacation pause, I presume)

Should be 3 weeks. We went back and forth on the right length of time for a good long while. Remember, though, that vacation pause also keeps things like your estate and army sponsorship, so it can cause a big problem if you're going to be gone for a significant length of time.

In the end, we felt that 3 weeks should be adequate for the vacation pause, and if you are going to be gone from the game longer than that, you really need to use the cold storage pause, and accept the consequences.

What does auto-pause do?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: October 30, 2012, 02:12:23 AM »
What does auto-pause do?

I believe I already said: it does a cold storage pause.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #17: October 30, 2012, 02:47:45 AM »
I don't see how the old system is superior to the new, in any way.

If you need to pause for a month, set up a vacation pause for 3 weeks, and you'll have a zombie for two weeks after that until you either log in or cold storage kicks in.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Autopause and Vacation Pauses
« Reply #18: October 30, 2012, 02:56:18 AM »
Moderator Note: I renamed this thread...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: October 30, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »
I really don't see the point in removing guild ranks.

If you are the top elder... you won't be replaced anyways. Guilds don't replace missing members. They only do so when there are no elders left, and even then they don't give #1 spot. If paused characters count against the limits and prevent this from taking place... then just change that, instead of changing how pausing works.

Dwilight is big. Makes no sense to force players that have joined guilds from a bit all over to have to travel it all again if they need to leave for 4 weeks.

Also, some religions already work without their founded. Verdis Elementum, for example. Now, if the elder of Fire uses cold storage, it's gonna mean we'll never again be able to put someone in the top 4 elder ranks or so. Just because the guy paused. If I hadn't had the rank just below, it could have easily meant that instantly the top 8 elder ranks or so would have become permanently inaccessible. And whenever the guy would have come back, there'd have been no way to give him back his rank. Nor give it to anyone else.

The feature makes no sense and screws over religions and guilds more than anything.

I already scrapped a guild and a religion because of this feature.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: October 30, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
eh.... religions can reclaim lost ranks.

the membership thing... they could consider pausing people getting bounced back to an aspirant. might not make sense... but would work.
firefox

egamma

« Reply #21: October 30, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
if the elder of Fire uses cold storage, it's gonna mean we'll never again be able to put someone in the top 4 elder ranks or so.

Um...wrong. The top elder in a religion or guild can use the "reclaim ranks" button to move themselves up to the #2 rank.

Developers think about these things too, you know?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: October 30, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
If you are the top elder... you won't be replaced anyways. Guilds don't replace missing members. They only do so when there are no elders left, and even then they don't give #1 spot. If paused characters count against the limits and prevent this from taking place... then just change that, instead of changing how pausing works.

As egamma says, your entire argument in this post is invalid, because guild elders can easily reclaim empty ranks above them.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: October 30, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »
As egamma says, your entire argument in this post is invalid, because guild elders can easily reclaim empty ranks above them.

The guy with the top elder position of Verdis Elementum has constantly re-affirmed to have never found any such option. I've stated as much before.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: October 30, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »
The guy with the top elder position of Verdis Elementum has constantly re-affirmed to have never found any such option. I've stated as much before.

Several others have confirmed finding it.

What's "the guy"'s name?
Timothy Collett

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: October 30, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

Aha!

This must have been relatively recently, because there was a bug in some new code that was blocking it. I've committed a fix, and VE should be able to reclaim its top elder ranks again.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: October 30, 2012, 11:39:56 PM »
Aha!

This must have been relatively recently, because there was a bug in some new code that was blocking it. I've committed a fix, and VE should be able to reclaim its top elder ranks again.

No, it's been like that for years. I'll prod him to check again, though...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: October 31, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »
No, it's been like that for years. I'll prod him to check again, though...

Well, given that I have had personal confirmation and thanks from others who have found the feature before this change, and given that the feature itself is not much more than a year old, I hope you'll permit me to be skeptical about your claim.

However, once revision 6639 goes live, I hope to hear similar thanks from the head of Verdis Elementum, because I assure you, the feature is there, and does work.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: October 31, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »
Well, given that I have had personal confirmation and thanks from others who have found the feature before this change, and given that the feature itself is not much more than a year old, I hope you'll permit me to be skeptical about your claim.

However, once revision 6639 goes live, I hope to hear similar thanks from the head of Verdis Elementum, because I assure you, the feature is there, and does work.

It might not have been years since this feature has been implemented, but it's been years since we had an elder occupying one of the top two ranks.

And when this change was implemented, whenever that was, I told him to use it. He said he couldn't.

I asked where he was supposed to find it, never got an answer. Maybe he just didn't look in the right spot.

Or maybe this feature only triggers when the head of a religion quit AFTER the feature was implemented?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: October 31, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »
It might not have been years since this feature has been implemented, but it's been years since we had an elder occupying one of the top two ranks.

And when this change was implemented, whenever that was, I told him to use it. He said he couldn't.

I asked where he was supposed to find it, never got an answer. Maybe he just didn't look in the right spot.

Or maybe this feature only triggers when the head of a religion quit AFTER the feature was implemented?

No, it only tests for whether there are people in the ranks above you at the time you look for it. It's on the Manage Guild Ranks screen, at the bottom.
Timothy Collett