Author Topic: Autopause and Vacation Pauses  (Read 10430 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Autopause and Vacation Pauses
« Reply #30: January 29, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »
Necromancy! Does cold storage remove you from guilds, secret societies, and religions or just make you an aspirant?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 29, 2013, 01:37:55 AM »
Necromancy! Does cold storage remove you from guilds, secret societies, and religions or just make you an aspirant?

Removes you entirely.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 29, 2013, 04:11:26 AM »
Removes you entirely.
I doubt you will agree with it but could a two step cold storage ever be considered? What I mean by that is if you paused your character in cold storage, for the first maybe six months you get guilds and that stuff still but at an aspirant level and maybe some other things, then after six months it removes you from those as it is considered a long term cold storage at that point. It's a pain having to run around to get in every guild again, join your old religion, and having to find contacts to your old secret societies just because you wanted to play a different character for a few months or was busy in RL for a while. I'd appreciate more than just a "it's never going to happen and that's final" or anything similar to it without any explanation.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 29, 2013, 04:31:31 AM »
I doubt you will agree with it but could a two step cold storage ever be considered? What I mean by that is if you paused your character in cold storage, for the first maybe six months you get guilds and that stuff still but at an aspirant level and maybe some other things, then after six months it removes you from those as it is considered a long term cold storage at that point. It's a pain having to run around to get in every guild again, join your old religion, and having to find contacts to your old secret societies just because you wanted to play a different character for a few months or was busy in RL for a while. I'd appreciate more than just a "it's never going to happen and that's final" or anything similar to it without any explanation.

Unlikely. The coding effort required outweighs the likely benefits. I don't have actual statistics, but my strong impression is that less than 25% of characters who go into cold storage ever come out again.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 29, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »
Unlikely. The coding effort required outweighs the likely benefits. I don't have actual statistics, but my strong impression is that less than 25% of characters who go into cold storage ever come out again.
Whats the difficulty in coding it? Or is it just a lot of code to do it? And that may be true but I also think that can in part be because you start with nothing, are older, your old positions have been filled and you are not in any of the things you used to be in. (Things being guilds, religions, etc.) While that is not going to fix all of those things, it helps with one and I think would up that rate. I'd say having it be low priority due to the coding effort vs benefit that I can't convince you of and am not sure myself, but that is pointless as the list always grows of what needs to be done so unless it eventually gets a higher priority it will never be done.
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 29, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »
Last question for now, when advys pause, do they lose their recommendations?
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 29, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »
Last question for now, when advys pause, do they lose their recommendations?

I do not believe so.
Timothy Collett