Author Topic: Re: This should not happen  (Read 11660 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: This should not happen
« Reply #15: December 21, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
I don't see the difference between offering someone 500 gold to become an infiltrator, and offering someone 500 gold to not attend a tournament. Neither one is a punishment.

Becoming an infiltrator is something that many people enjoy. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that someone may wish to become an infiltrator in the realm, but lack funds or encouragement; the offer of gold will just give them the necessary push. Making that generally to the realm as a whole ensures that the IR of a specific player is not infringed (I would look at it differently if a region Lords tried to push his knight specifically to become an infiltrator).

Attending a tournament, on the other hand, is something that you do if you want to and don't if you don't want to. There is no purpose to the offer of gold other than to violate the IR.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: December 21, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
In other words, the point of the IR is not to ban infiltrators. There will be infiltrators in any case, and the gold distribution will be unequal in any case, so taken together giving gold to infiltrators is fine.

The point of the IR, however, is to make tournaments separate from the hierarchical structure of the main game, so that characters and especially newbies can have a place to interact with other characters. Offering incentives to avoid that goes against the spirit of the IR.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: December 21, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »
That is the problem in my mind. I keep hearing statements like "It's only lamenting if it is done a bunch of times" when a bunch of times is not defined or "Go ahead and request/reward as long as people are not pressured". In my opinion, we either allow folks to make requests and offer rewards across the board with the implicit understanding that no one is to be threatened or punished for refusing or we do not allow it at all. There is enough grey area with either policy. All of this wishy washy opinionated complexity is just crazy.

egamma

« Reply #18: December 22, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »
Okay, how about this.

"Anyone who does not attend the tournament will be given 100 gold. Evilstani is about to attack and we want to make sure that those who have mobile units get the gold they need."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: December 22, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
Okay, how about this.

"Anyone who does not attend the tournament will be given 100 gold. Evilstani is about to attack and we want to make sure that those who have mobile units get the gold they need."

Just look at the character list and give gold to those not attending. That way, you are sure not to make anyone feel bad, and you get the same desired effect of funding the people able to move for defense. No need to make an announcement about it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 22, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »
Exactly.

"Those who can be Kepler in Fields by tomorrow will receive 100 gold to boost their units and increase the defenses there."

There, done. Unless you don't exactly care about the troops, and you just want people not to attend the tournament. In which case, refer to the IR.

It's really amazing how easy it is to stay 100 feet from the IR when breaking them is not your actual intent.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 23, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
And one wouldn't feel bad if it was made clear that the realm was in desperate need of diplomats and chose not to change their class? I still see little difference.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 23, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »
And one wouldn't feel bad if it was made clear that the realm was in desperate need of diplomats and chose not to change their class? I still see little difference.

If there are 40 other people who aren't diplomats and who won't change classes? Diffusion of responsibility.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron