Author Topic: Legendary Quests  (Read 4088 times)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Legendary Quests
« Topic Start: October 30, 2012, 08:32:10 AM »
Title: Legendary Quests

Summary:

Give margraves the ability to call a quest for a legendary artifact. The quest would be open to all warriors on a given island and would take the form of a type of treasure hunt. The quest would end with the possibility of discovering an artifact that would benefit the city of the margrave who called the quest.

Details:

Note: In order to save work, my hope would be that the legendary quest could reuse much of the underlying structure of the tournament, but with changes to the text.

A margrave would gain the option to call a quest for a legendary item, with the search lasting for a set number of days (say 7 days, for the sake of debate). Doing so would cost the margrave an amount of gold that would then be set aside as a reward for the noble who finds the item. Once a quest has been called, every appropriate noble on the island would receive a message with the option to join the quest. If they did so, they'd leave their unit behind, as with the tournament.

Once on the quest, the location of the nobles involved would be listed as 'unknown' reflecting that they are wandering the lands in their search. Each turn would generate a series of options such as 'Question the locals' to find information about the location of the item; or 'You are confronted by a mysterious swordsman/or a mysterious rider' giving the option to fight them (replicating the training of a tournament, but possibly with a reduced chance of improving the skills); and so forth. Each of these options would have a random chance of scoring the noble a point which would be silently accumulated. For example, "After questioning the locals, a merchant reveals that he has heard tales of such an artifact in a nearby valley" - silently score one point.

These points would accumulate to a 'trigger point' (say 10 points, hypothetically).  When the 7 days of the quest expire, every noble on the quest who has reached the trigger point will enter a melee (as with the battle of the tournament) as they are all deemed to have reached the same location on the quest and are now fighting for the artifact. Any nobles who have failed to reach the trigger point would just be returned home. In the melee, last noble standing claims the artifact and the gold reward.

The Margrave who called the quest then gains the legendary artifact for his/her city,  and the artifact gives a percentage reduction to the upkeep cost for buildings (say 25%, 50%, or what ever). The artifact deteriorates with time and disappears after a set number of days (maybe 60 days, maybe 90 days). The artifact belongs to the city rather than any character and cannot be sold, moved, otherwise traded, or repaired, so that it does not undermine the adventurer game.

Benefits:

Added fun. It gives players with margrave characters an extra tool (in addition to the tournament) to maintain player engagement, particularly during the inevitable periods of peace in a realm. Also gives rank-and-file knights and dames another activity to maintain their interest and participation in the game.

Introduces questing, which was a major part of both the literature and the reality of the Middle Ages, but is not currently represented in the game.

Roleplay opportunities, and possibly enhancing reasons for an opposing realm to try to take a city that has an artifact.

Possible Exploits:

Enemy margraves could use a quest to draw opposing nobles away from a war, but you can say the same thing about a tournament.

Margraves might use the percentage reduction in upkeep cost to use the gold saved to speed up building or enlargements. But they'd then be hit by the increase in upkeep costs once the artifact disappears.

Zakilevo

Re: Legendary Quests
« Reply #1: October 30, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »
This sounds like the quest for the holy grail. ;)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 30, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
*cough* What makes you think I've been reading Le Morte D'arthur  ;)

It's also based on my experiences of trying to introduce some players of other browser rgps to BM. I asked them what they thought would increase their interest in the game and make them stick around, and the ability to go on quests was something that came up quite a few times.

This is just my shot at suggesting a way to introduce quests that might have a vague chance of being practical.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 01, 2012, 03:46:30 AM »
A few questions;

Why not allow priests sufficiently well ranked in the faith to do this, to give a boost to preaching and/or reduce temple upkeep.

Second question, Why not use it to enhance the advy game by allowing them to partake in the quest?

egamma

« Reply #4: November 01, 2012, 03:54:32 AM »
We had something like this in Makar years ago, where absurd goals like "sack shanandoah" were handed out. Why does this need to be a feature, and not done by RP like DamnTaffer said?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 01, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »
Why not allow priests sufficiently well ranked in the faith to do this, to give a boost to preaching and/or reduce temple upkeep.

This is a better idea IMO. If margraves do it and it just returns gold, it becomes a numbers game and will either never be done as it wouldn't give a profit or would be used basically all the time. If you have it be a trade-off instead of a profit margin things work better.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 01, 2012, 04:15:15 AM »
We had something like this in Makar years ago, where absurd goals like "sack shanandoah" were handed out. Why does this need to be a feature, and not done by RP like DamnTaffer said?

I didn't suggest it be a RP thing, I suggested things that made the mechanics feel more roleplayed too me. And having it as a feature makes it real and gives structure and guidance to associated rp... It also seems very fun, expecially if two faiths wanted the same grail.

Though on the flip side, it COULD be a RP thing expecially if the GMs got involved.

This is a better idea IMO. If margraves do it and it just returns gold, it becomes a numbers game and will either never be done as it wouldn't give a profit or would be used basically all the time. If you have it be a trade-off instead of a profit margin things work better.

That could be countered by limiting the feature to starting the quest based on some guidance, like a noble hearing some rumour or hearsay and passing it along to a priest

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 01, 2012, 04:20:29 AM »
That could be countered by limiting the feature to starting the quest based on some guidance, like a noble hearing some rumour or hearsay and passing it along to a priest

Adventurers find maps or rumors or something?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 01, 2012, 04:22:51 AM »
Adventurers find maps or rumors or something?

Yeah

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 01, 2012, 04:52:26 AM »

We had something like this in Makar years ago, where absurd goals like "sack shanandoah" were handed out.

I think you've probably misunderstood. If you reread, there's nothing like saying "Sack Shanandoh" -- or indeed any sort of movement on the world map. I apologize if it wasn't clear enough in the initial description, but the legendary quest would be a self-contained event. Just like a tournament takes places outside the normal movement conventions and activities you can do on the world map, so would the quest.

Why does this need to be a feature, and not done by RP

That could be said about almost anything in the game. Why bother to have a game mechanic that runs a tournament when you could just ask everyone to gather in Perdan and duel each other to surrender? You have a real tournament because people enjoy it. By making questing an actual feature it gives structure and makes it real. Also, like I said in the benefits, it gives it an actual extra game event for people to enjoy and have fun with.

Why not allow priests sufficiently well ranked in the faith to do this,

Yeah, that's fair enough. In the spirit of the idea, that makes a lot of sense.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 01, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
+1
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)