Author Topic: New Message System  (Read 14902 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: New Message System
« Reply #15: November 01, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »
No

I have problems with this.

To some extent, at least, I am conceptually against taking away messages from people who have had access to them, especially when they were the ones they were originally sent to (ie, they were full members of the channel at the time the messages were sent, as opposed to simply gaining access to the messages after the fact).

I believe we should find some way to avoid this situation. I'm more than willing to help work out something that can fit within the framework of the new message system, but I am strongly against the idea that conceptual purity—in this case, adhering strictly to the notion that a message belongs solely to a channel, and not to a recipient—should take precedence over utility. (Or, for that matter, realism/common sense. What exactly happens when Ruler A steps down and Ruler B takes his place? He's forced at swordpoint to hand over all the ruler channel messages to Ruler B, and his possessions searched for illicit copies??)

As do I.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #16: November 02, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
Is it a coding issue? If not I think we should still be able to read our past letters that we previously had access to.

Also, are people allow to use 'event' type letters?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #17: November 02, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »
Is it a coding issue? If not I think we should still be able to read our past letters that we previously had access to.

Unfortunately, it is pretty tough to code that in...  :-/
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #18: November 02, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »
Not only what Anaris said, but you could theoretically never see messages that you had every right to see. Such as messages sent between your last login, and the time you lost the rulership election.

Having messages available to you that were sent before you got access to the channel is both good and bad. But losing access to messages you already read, just because you lost an election or something,is not good. Both of those together sounds a slight bit confusing.
I'd also add this:  What would stop people from evicting people from certain groups (Armies, eventual military command councils, etc) to prevent torture from revealing any message? 

Speaking of torture, if we captured the leader of X realm, we would potentially get all visible messages he has access to?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 02, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »
I would imagine that torture would still give you a random selection of messages. I don't see any reason it would change to give you all of them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Madmonk77

• Knight
  • tiki tiki on the rocks!
    • View Profile
    • Rock-Soft
« Reply #20: November 02, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
I for one do not like the fact that you can't access the messages you've seen and sent, it will take the fun of going through all your letters looking for something you received when you where in a position of charge like Ruler for example.
Nico.-

"What else can happen when an unstoppable force collides with an immovable object?" -- Used to be the player of Vats family. Now I'm the player of Vlad family.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 02, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
I know it'd be a bitch to code but without that ability this new system will always be inferior to the old, no matter what else it adds.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 02, 2012, 08:05:45 AM »
I know it'd be a bitch to code but without that ability this new system will always be inferior to the old, no matter what else it adds.

+1
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 02, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
It also makes me wonder... If a ruler who loses his position loses access to the messages he had on that channel, will the new ruler have access to all of the messages that guy sent and received?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 02, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
It also makes me wonder... If a ruler who loses his position loses access to the messages he had on that channel, will the new ruler have access to all of the messages that guy sent and received?

It sounds like it. Seems like one character is removed and another is added to an existing thread of messages.

Kellaine

• Noble Lord
  • Honor in Service
    • View Profile
    • Thatcher  Family
« Reply #25: November 02, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
I like it. but it needs a thread/tab for message groups
Dexter - Principality of Zonasa, Telgar - Principality of Zonasa, Wil - Morek Empire, Crom- Adventurer - Kabrinskia-paused

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 02, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »
I feel this as sci-fi environment and it directly disturbs remnants of medieval atmosphere in game. :(

the least we should have is a choice to retain old interface or use new one.

together with that we should be allowed to switch of status messages we don't want, like duchy report of all regions surplus and maintenance, referendum reminder and similar.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 02, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »
Can't say I like the tabbed interface and the idea that you lose messages the moment you lose a position etc. just smells like a downgrade compared to the old system.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 02, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
When i think about it i kinda like old message system more than this new one...
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 02, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »
the least we should have is a choice to retain old interface or use new one.

IIRC, that's not going to be possible without retaining duplicates on the server of every single message/event that occurs in the game.