Author Topic: Cavalier vs Knight DIfferences and background info  (Read 25827 times)

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
Anyway, we use Caballero as a generic word for medieval nobles, and literally for knight, cavalier, or even gentleman, regardless of the appropriate meaning or translation of the rank in Spanish.
Yes i did simplified, with using a Synonym. Thanks!

But is harder to find a solution to the case, since each country titled their nobles according to their pronunciation.

According to wikipedia (ULTIMATE RELIABLE SOURCE)
NO!

RAE is the ultimate Source!

Why not just use that?

I did. thanks!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:17:21 PM by Sonya »

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
To me using cavalier as a term for a knight, especilly in BMs early medieval times, never sits well.

Merriam-Webster.com

Origin of Cavalier

Middle French, from old Italian cavaliere, from Old Occitan cavalier, from late Latin caballarius horseman, from Latin caballus

cav-a-lier  noun    /First known use: 1589

cavalier   adjective / First known use: circa 1641

Encyclopaedia Britannica
cavalier
cavalier,  (from Late Latin caballarius, “horseman”), originally a rider or cavalryman; the term had the same derivation as the French chevalier. In English the word knight was at first generally used to imply the qualities of chivalry associated with the chevalier in French and with the kindred cavaliere in Italian and caballero in Spanish. “Cavalier” in English, however, had the pejorative sense of “swashbuckling” or “overbearing.”
In the English Civil Wars (1642–51), the name was adopted by Charles I’s supporters, who contemptuously called their opponents Roundheads; at the Restoration, the court party preserved the name Cavalier, which survived until the rise of the term Tory.

©2012 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
To me using cavalier as a term for a knight, especilly in BMs early medieval times, never sits well.

Merriam-Webster.com

Origin of Cavalier

Middle French, from old Italian cavaliere, from Old Occitan cavalier, from late Latin caballarius horseman, from Latin caballus

cav-a-lier  noun    /First known use: 1589

cavalier   adjective / First known use: circa 1641

Encyclopaedia Britannica
cavalier
cavalier,  (from Late Latin caballarius, “horseman”), originally a rider or cavalryman; the term had the same derivation as the French chevalier. In English the word knight was at first generally used to imply the qualities of chivalry associated with the chevalier in French and with the kindred cavaliere in Italian and caballero in Spanish. “Cavalier” in English, however, had the pejorative sense of “swashbuckling” or “overbearing.”
In the English Civil Wars (1642–51), the name was adopted by Charles I’s supporters, who contemptuously called their opponents Roundheads; at the Restoration, the court party preserved the name Cavalier, which survived until the rise of the term Tory.

©2012 Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.

Cavalier for the class, knight (or caballero) for the title.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
Something along that line would certainly seem fit well    :)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Chénier, your comment about Wikipedia aroused my curiosity so I took a look and checked out that the word "cavalier" does exist in Spanish, as you said. Nevertheless, its meanings include a kind of dog, a British car by Vauxhall Motors, a North Dakota town name, and the nickname used for the supporters of King Charles the 1st of England in the Civil War, as Longmane said.

The Royal Spanish Academy (RAE) doesn't recognize "cavalier", but anyway it can be easily understood by any Spanish speaker. Moreover the game is written in English, so maybe it's easier to just take this word and not discuss about the angels' gender as we say  ;D

Regards.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Chénier, your comment about Wikipedia aroused my curiosity so I took a look and checked out that the word "cavalier" does exist in Spanish, as you said. Nevertheless, its meanings include a kind of dog, a British car by Vauxhall Motors, a North Dakota town name, and the nickname used for the supporters of King Charles the 1st of England in the Civil War, as Longmane said.

The Royal Spanish Academy (RAE) doesn't recognize "cavalier", but anyway it can be easily understood by any Spanish speaker. Moreover the game is written in English, so maybe it's easier to just take this word and not discuss about the angels' gender as we say  ;D

Regards.

The English language has a tendency to burrow words from other languages and give them different or extremely more precise/defined meanings. For example, a sombrero, in English, is a traditional mexican hat, whereas in spanish, it's just any kind of hat. Other languages do this as well, but I tend to believer that English does it more. Translating these words back into other languages can therefore sometimes prove to be a challenge.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

The English language has a tendency to burrow words from other languages and give them different or extremely more precise/defined meanings. For example, a sombrero, in English, is a traditional mexican hat, whereas in spanish, it's just any kind of hat. Other languages do this as well, but I tend to believer that English does it more. Translating these words back into other languages can therefore sometimes prove to be a challenge.

This was posted on the front page of Google once

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Remember, while all Cavaliers tended to be knights, not all knights were cavaliers.  Some did prefer fighting as footmen.