Author Topic: Age of Wonders  (Read 4115 times)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Age of Wonders
« Topic Start: April 05, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »
I was interested to see the game that BM's maps are based off of. It's currently downloading on Steam and looks like a fun strategy game. What are other people's reviews of the game/map editor?

I jut tried out the map editor; awesome! Was wondering if there's a download link for any of theBM maps in AoWEd form?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:00:12 PM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders
« Reply #1: April 05, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »
The game is extremely sweet.  Steam has a combo pack for the lot of Age of Wonders games that I'll be picking up soon when I'm done with the game I'm on now.  Its kind of similar to a Heroes of Might and Magic in a way but so much better in many ways.  Check the campaign out and you'll see  :D

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 06, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
The game is extremely sweet.  Steam has a combo pack for the lot of Age of Wonders games that I'll be picking up soon when I'm done with the game I'm on now.  Its kind of similar to a Heroes of Might and Magic in a way but so much better in many ways.  Check the campaign out and you'll see  :D

I've been playing a few scenarios to figure out the game first. It took forever for me to find out how to cast a spell! But a very good strategy game, similar to Battle for Wesnoth, but overall better. Still need to play around more with the map editor.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: April 06, 2011, 03:13:26 AM »
BoW is free though! And yes, that matters to me. I did join BM because I read that it's totally free.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 06, 2011, 04:50:39 AM »
BoW is free though! And yes, that matters to me. I did join BM because I read that it's totally free.

BoW is tons of fun and free, but paying $6 for AoW and the map editor was very little. If it wasn't for the fact that BM is similar to AoW, I probably wouldn't have looked at it in the first place.

Whenever I play BoW, I do the RPGs.. so much fun to play 1 character with a few other players, buy epic weapons and powers, then crush hundreds of waves of enemies!

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: April 06, 2011, 08:37:46 AM »
AoW is a fun game indeed. I think I actually like the first one more than the second one. Though the second one is nice too.

Just love humans with those musketeers :) Though my favorite race is elves cuz I played elves in the campaigns.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 13, 2011, 12:32:25 PM »
I love all the lore and the history of Age of Wonders. I really enjoyed the campaign and as turn based fantasy strategy goes, I'm not sure I've ever seen/found anything better. I enjoyed the next two Wonders games, but I always found myself coming back to the original. Definitely the best of the lot.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 13, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
I'm disappointed that the one I downloaded from Steam was fully updated because that took away the sweet combo of First Strike, Lightning Strike, and Cold Strike.  It was always awesome to have a chance of making the guy attacking you lose either his turn with lightning or a smaller chance of being frozen for 3 turns with cold, but Heroes can no longer get First Strike :'(