Author Topic: Priest Game  (Read 8000 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Priest Game
« Topic Start: November 11, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
Any tips for the priest game? I am joint elder in an old religion that almost died due to no more priests, and hasn't had much happening with it in quite awhile. Due to it almost dying, it has lost almost all it's temples. Please share advice/tips for both the priest game, and religion aspect as a whole. Lastly, I am considering reforming some of the religion to liven up the religion to make it more popular/revive it, so tips on how best to do that are also appreciated.. (The religion is Evgenism on Atamara for those wondering.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

egamma

Re: Priest Game
« Reply #1: November 11, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
Maybe...just let it die? And instead spread SA or the Church of Humanity to Atamara.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 11, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »
Due to it almost dying, it has lost almost all it's temples.

Do you have many noble followers?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 11, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
Any tips for the priest game? I am joint elder in an old religion that almost died due to no more priests, and hasn't had much happening with it in quite awhile. Due to it almost dying, it has lost almost all it's temples. Please share advice/tips for both the priest game, and religion aspect as a whole. Lastly, I am considering reforming some of the religion to liven up the religion to make it more popular/revive it, so tips on how best to do that are also appreciated.. (The religion is Evgenism on Atamara for those wondering.)

Evgenism? Isn't that the one that was founded as Carelia's state religion, with approximately zero content?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 11, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
Evgenism? Isn't that the one that was founded as Carelia's state religion, with approximately zero content?
Yes, it was a religion that supports Carelia and has a low amount of content. I plan to change it from supporting Carelia to supporting ideals of Carelia, like honor for instance.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 11, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
Shouldn't it support, say, a pantheon of gods? Supporting the ideal of honor sounds like a knightly order, not a religion.

I find that a good religion takes a tough stance, and has a certain amount of intolerance, especially toward other religions. Give your followers something to make commitment about, and something to rally behind. Use it as a source of conflict and generate some fun.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: November 11, 2012, 09:29:05 PM »
Just worship Daimons. Easy and Simple.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 11, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
Do you have many noble followers?
13 nobles and 4 temples. The almost dying was like a month ago, I just thought to ask on the forum recently so we are doing better but not great.
Shouldn't it support, say, a pantheon of gods? Supporting the ideal of honor sounds like a knightly order, not a religion.

I find that a good religion takes a tough stance, and has a certain amount of intolerance, especially toward other religions. Give your followers something to make commitment about, and something to rally behind. Use it as a source of conflict and generate some fun.
Sorry, I should have clarified, Evgenism is the faith of believing in Evgenis. It is stated that Evgenis supports Carelia so it's a religion that says helping Carelia is good. I want to change that to having the ideals that Carelians have is good and so is aiding those with those ideals is also good, but I would be stating the actual ideals and basically have no mention of Carelia in there as a god wouldn't really support a realm for no reason other than just its name but what that name represents.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 11, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »

Avoid it.

Unless you really invested a lot in it and don't want to let go of it, or you are really sentimental, the priest game sucks, because most of the religions suck and most people's stance on religion sucks.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 12, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »
=) Magna Serpaensism didn't suck!  Look at how lively that made the game for a while.  Shame you can't have hidden temples.  Ooo! New idea for a feature!

As for how to make religion fun, find an enemy and pound on it.  Make stories about the gods interacting with the priests.  Show how it becomes part of the culture.  If people aren't upset about your religion you're probably doing something wrong as its too bland and boring.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 12, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »
I have to agree with loren. Religion in the game exists, as far as I'm concerned, as another avenue for spurring conflict and war. What more perfect reason could there be for war than to purge the world of some false religon (I.e. every other religion than your own) that keeps trying to convert your followers to their evil ways?

It does take people willing to go along with religion before it can work, though. IMO, it is up to the leaders of the religion to make their faith attractive to the regular players.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 12, 2012, 03:19:30 AM »
I have to agree with loren. Religion in the game exists, as far as I'm concerned, as another avenue for spurring conflict and war. What more perfect reason could there be for war than to purge the world of some false religon (I.e. every other religion than your own) that keeps trying to convert your followers to their evil ways?

It does take people willing to go along with religion before it can work, though. IMO, it is up to the leaders of the religion to make their faith attractive to the regular players.

You can claim they are all heathens deserving death without having to bother being a priest, or even being involved in a religion at all.

IMO, the best religion would be one that has many noble followers and no temple. The priest game is a distraction, it makes you focus on follower counts and infrastructure maintenance instead of on influencing other characters.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 12, 2012, 03:48:54 AM »
Yes, you *could* do that. But having an actual religion behind you makes it a lot more convincing.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 12, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
Try ask your Ruler to cheat a foreign realm priest to come over for a religion preaching to you, then have your realm declare war on his realm and you declare his religion evil. This is what Oritolon Ruler does to Assassins realm on Colonies. It is hilarious ;D

You can always lookup the religions stuffs on Internet and try include some parts that you think are relevant to your religion in game. Spice it up occasionally with some RolePlays, some enlightenment(Like how Blind God priest Solari doing on Colonies), etc. As you are the elder priest, you have control over how you can define your religion fundamentals and principles, rules and so on 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 12, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
IMO, the best religion would be one that has many noble followers and no temple. The priest game is a distraction, it makes you focus on follower counts and infrastructure maintenance instead of on influencing other characters.

I wouldn't go so far. However, I agree with your basic point: the interest of the religious game is in influencing other nobles. All the game-mechanics options for priests are technically influencing peasants; however do not think you can get away with any of them without at least some powerful nobles backing you out.

The point of a religion is to create a culture among a noble group. Once that culture is in place, the Lords will build temples for vanity. I doubt doing it the other way around can be fun.
After all it's a roleplaying game.