Author Topic: Priest Game  (Read 7975 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Priest Game
« Reply #15: November 12, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
Yes, you *could* do that. But having an actual religion behind you makes it a lot more convincing.

A lot more distracting. And expensive. If you want to blast these heathens, then you'd be much better off spending these thousands of gold you'd spend on local temples into troops instead, and these nobles you'd have as priests leading troops instead.

I wouldn't go so far. However, I agree with your basic point: the interest of the religious game is in influencing other nobles. All the game-mechanics options for priests are technically influencing peasants; however do not think you can get away with any of them without at least some powerful nobles backing you out.

The point of a religion is to create a culture among a noble group. Once that culture is in place, the Lords will build temples for vanity. I doubt doing it the other way around can be fun.

You can't get away with them without noble support, but you also can't use them at all without follower %.

You can also create a religious culture among a noble group without needing for one lord to spend hundreds of gold to be turned into a pop star priest. What's fun about religion is creating that culture and sharing it with others, not clicking on preach for a few days in a row, then travelling next door to start again.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #16: November 12, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
I enjoy playing a priest.  It's why all but one of my characters is a priest.  As do a few other people I know.

My only issue is with the current bug related to religion influence/percentages.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 13, 2012, 12:13:04 AM »
I enjoy playing a priest.  It's why all but one of my characters is a priest.  As do a few other people I know.

My only issue is with the current bug related to religion influence/percentages.

Priests make better ambassadors, that's about the only advantage I've come to think of them. I used to have almost all of my characters as priests, but I have since come to view the priest game as a diversion to the religion game.

Mind you, a bunch of the perks of when I used to play almost only priests are now gone.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 13, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »
What perks are you talking about?
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 13, 2012, 03:27:20 AM »
What perks are you talking about?

Not getting reduced hours due to old age and never having travel times over 16 hours, to name two.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 16, 2012, 06:19:17 AM »
Does anyone know if building a shrine is reported to the lord, to everyone in the region, or is there no message? I don't really want to ask to build shrines that much but I don't want them ( lords of the regions) to be complaining either.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: November 20, 2012, 12:35:40 AM »
Does anyone know if building a shrine is reported to the lord, to everyone in the region, or is there no message? I don't really want to ask to build shrines that much but I don't want them ( lords of the regions) to be complaining either.

It can generate a message. I'm not sure if it's random or 100%, however. I think it's random, much like preaching.

For example, I've seen Glaumring build a shrine of the Bloodmoon Cult in Paisly. I think I was in Paisland when I saw this, but I'm not sure. I don't think I was actually in the region myself.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 20, 2012, 01:16:15 AM »
Not getting reduced hours due to old age and never having travel times over 16 hours, to name two.
That is a nice perk out there. Unfortunately I cannot make full use of it, due to this below.
2 of my characters from same realm. One is well known Ambassador and another one is a Priestess.
The Ambassador has the best speaking skill while the Priestess has best preaching skill.
It is a coincident that both Ambassador and Priest class have much need of Oratory skill :)

I believe the region lord and everyone in the region when the shrine is being built, will receive a notification.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 24, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
I personally like the priest game actually. It is only as much a distraction as you let it be. These days it's also true that when you are a lord of Religion A and Religion B has 90% followers in your region it'll not make your peasants happy. It helps somewhat.

But as said before, religion is a different angle of war and it can generate war. You should make your religion nice and lively though to actually rally people. Problem is though people seem to have a strong sense of separation of church and state. Trying to change this is always fun.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 24, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
Problem is though people seem to have a strong sense of separation of church and state. Trying to change this is always fun.

And, unfortunately, also impossible.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 24, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »
Sorry, you're wrong on that one. It is far from impossible. Two of my characters are in very religion-driven realms. A third is in a realm that has potential to be that way, and used to be in the past.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 28, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »
For monthly grant/fee does that come from/go to global treasury or what?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 28, 2012, 06:32:00 AM »
For monthly grant/fee does that come from/go to global treasury or what?

It only changes a character's balance with the religion, no actual gold changes hands.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: November 28, 2012, 06:42:39 AM »
It only changes a character's balance with the religion, no actual gold changes hands.
Ok, that's good to know, and works out best for how I wanted it to be used too.
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: December 19, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »
Persecuting heretics, does that attempt to have your followers kill those of the chosen faith, increasing your percentage for the region, not the actual numbers, or am I mistaken?
― G.K. Chesterton