Author Topic: Sorraine vs. Ohnar West  (Read 54495 times)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
Re: Sorraine vs. Ohnar West
« Reply #135: January 01, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »
I'd have to say that Sorraine's current excuse that they cant give up a city because it would just hurt so darn bad is pretty flimsy. Especially given the fact that Ignall shouldnt care nearly as much about the Church or your realm's well being since he's winning.

Unless Sorraine is just stalling, of course.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136: January 02, 2013, 12:17:52 AM »
Do you expect them to just say "Sure, we'd be happy to hand one over"?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #137: January 02, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »
No, I expect a better excuse than "I know we totally lost, but things are just so hard because our whole Church is in a real pickle. Let us remain at full strength please?"

Though from Sorraine maybe that's asking too much. You guys didnt have much in the way of a clever reason for even declaring war.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138: January 02, 2013, 01:13:30 AM »
We had a perfectly suitable reason for declaring war. We just sucked at the execution.

Let's face it, the two sides of a war will never agree on whether the other side was justified in dedclaring war. But in this game, we need to sieze upon even the smallest reasons to start a conflict and keep the wars going. Ohnar West undermining the war effort against Kindara by selling them food, when the northern realm's strategy was to starve Kindara into submission, was far from a small reason.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #139: January 02, 2013, 02:17:31 AM »
Ohnar West undermining the war effort against Kindara by selling them food, when the northern realm's strategy was to starve Kindara into submission, was far from a small reason.

I had actually forgotten that was one of the reasons Sorraine declared the war to begin with.

But in this game, we need to sieze upon even the smallest reasons to start a conflict and keep the wars going.

Fair enough and very true.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #140: January 02, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »
I had actually forgotten that was one of the reasons Sorraine declared the war to begin with.

Because it wasn't. Mathilda mentioned it but this was an offense against Cathay, not Sorraine, and Mathilda also made it abundantly clear that her reason for going to war was because Ohnar West didn't deserve to exist and she was going to see to it that it ceased existing. I think at one point she even said that it didn't matter what they did to the one noble that sold food to Kindara, she'd go to war anyway.

OW had no legitimate casus bellus. They wanted a war of conquest. Nothing wrong with that, particularly as they nearly got away with it.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #141: January 02, 2013, 03:21:39 AM »
OW Sorraine had no legitimate casus bellus. They wanted a war of conquest. Nothing wrong with that, particularly as they nearly got away with it.
Guessing that was a typo  :P

I'd have to say that Sorraine's current excuse that they cant give up a city because it would just hurt so darn bad is pretty flimsy.
Yeah, imagine how much it would have hurt for Ohnar had we lost Sasrhas.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:23:21 AM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #142: January 02, 2013, 04:56:31 AM »
Mathilda also made it abundantly clear that her reason for going to war was because Ohnar West didn't deserve to exist and she was going to see to it that it ceased existing. I think at one point she even said that it didn't matter what they did to the one noble that sold food to Kindara, she'd go to war anyway.

They grow up so fast. But yeah, OW deserves to be wiped clean from the face of the earth. It's an annoyance in the greater scheme of things, like the Arcaean Empire  :P.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #143: January 02, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
Mathilda wasn't exactly the most forthcoming in communications she was having with other rulers. The IC reason for the war was food sales to the enemy. And yes, of course we hoped to gain some land out of it, so that OW wouldn't have spare food to go selling to our enemies again. There were some people that wanted to wipe out OW. (But let's face it, 90% of the island wishes OW would just die already.)

There has clearly been a major failure in Sorraine's leadership. They just don't know how to play the politics game, especially for a smaller realm.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #144: January 02, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »
It's an annoyance in the greater scheme of things, like the Arcaean Empire  :P.

Talk about unfortunate implications.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #145: January 02, 2013, 03:16:57 PM »
The IC reason for the war was food sales to the enemy

Like I said, not only did she dismiss that, nobody bought it anyway. It was flimsy then and even moreso after the fact, particularly given Sorraine's goal of eliminating Ohnar entirely. Galiard never would've gone for destroying Kindara or Zonasa even if he'd been able to and murdering a foreign King is a bit worse on the scale of Bad Things to Do than selling some food.

Sorraine thought they could get away with it. It was evident from the beginning. They were probably right. I don't think anyone would've sent armies to help Ohnar had they been down to one region.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #146: January 02, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Yup, but then the entire government thought it'd be cool to just walk away..just walk away and I got appointed to clean up the mess.

And Ohnar West was maybe winning the actual physical war, but politics are far nastier and they overplayed their hand. There was no chance they'd get a city.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #147: January 02, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
But let's face it, 90% of the island wishes OW would just die already.
Somehow doubt that's true anymore.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #148: January 02, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
Still at least about 50% :P
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149: January 02, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »
Ohnar have got some goodwill by being the underdog and then, as it turns out, managing to win. Plus they actually have a rather good PM.

But I expect that goodwill to disappear just as soon as people come into contact with Ohnarians other than the Prime Minister. The likes of McGahee and Melehan have a real knack for pissing people off just by talking to them :p