Author Topic: Getting a new estate  (Read 3624 times)

LordTurtleton

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Getting a new estate
« Topic Start: November 20, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »
Hello everybody! I learned about BattleMaster through the Dwarf Fortress boards, and heard about how awesome and complex it was, so I decided to try it out.  And it is!
Anyways, I decided to start in Dwilight, and where I spawned there was an empty estate and no lord of the region, so without thinking I took up estate there.  This was before I thought to ask anyone's permission, and anyone replied to my general greeting.  A little while later the King introduced himself to me, and suggested some more prosperous lands I should look to set up shop in.  With, of course, the lord the region's permission.  Now I want to know, do I have to specifically abandon my current estate before taking another; or can I simply travel to the different region and settle myself in?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Getting a new estate
« Reply #1: November 20, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »
You must do both.  Travel to the region with the open estate, and abandon your current estate.  Once both of those conditions are satisfied, you can take the desired empty estate.

Welcome to BattleMaster. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 20, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »
Yes, you do need to abandon your current Estate before you can take a new one, but you can abandon your Estate from anywhere. You can simply travel to the region in question, abandon your Estate then, and then take the new Estate.

egamma

« Reply #3: November 20, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »
There's also a one turn waiting period between abandoning an estate and taking a new one, so you may want to abandon your old one sooner, rather than later, so you don't have to wait when you arrive.

LordTurtleton

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 20, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
Alright, thanks!  Because I was thinking of waiting until after tax day to start travelling if I had to abandon first.  But now I know I can just leave.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 21, 2012, 02:56:43 AM »
Alright, thanks!  Because I was thinking of waiting until after tax day to start travelling if I had to abandon first.  But now I know I can just leave.

Indeed. Leave now, abandon the estates right after taxes, and then pick up the new estates whenever you arrive.

Your estates might not provide much of an income this tax collection, though, considering there's no lord and all.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 25, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »
Hello everybody!

Anyways, I decided to start in Dwilight...

Hullo! You should also check out the other islands, they offer completely different experiences. And shameless self promotion here, but you should totally join Ohnar West on the Far East Island! We are in the midst of a war for our very existence against religious extremists, and need more nobles if we are to survive. It'll be the greatest way to establish a new character  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 25, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »
Or join Sorraine, and help wipe out those treacherous, double-dealing, back-stabbing Ohnarians! :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.