Author Topic: Character Experience  (Read 5475 times)

LordTurtleton

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Character Experience
« Topic Start: November 20, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »
I've got a question about the character creation screen.  On the last page where you pick what units to command, and their name;  you can also pick your Character Experience.  What's the point of choosing an older and wiser guy, compared to young and energetic person?  Is it just a flavor thing, or does it actually affect something?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Character Experience
« Reply #1: November 20, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »
It does exactly what it says it does. One will have more/less skill levels, at the price of a higher/lower age.

LordTurtleton

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 20, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
Okay, but what are the skill levels? I don't see them in any of the menus.  What's the benefit of being an older/younger person in the game?  I'm sorry about all these questions! I'm just new to the game and want to learn all that I can! :P

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 20, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
IIRC, the three age choices at character creation correspond to 5%, 10%, and 15% in the basic skills of a nobleman (which include, but are not limited, to, swordfighting, jousting, and leadership).

In general, getting older is not of any benefit. Eventually, you will no longer gain as many hours per day, your skills will degrade faster, and you will not heal from wounds as quickly.

But all of that is a ways down the road for you. ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 21, 2012, 03:03:09 AM »
IIRC, the three age choices at character creation correspond to 5%, 10%, and 15% in the basic skills of a nobleman (which include, but are not limited, to, swordfighting, jousting, and leadership).

In general, getting older is not of any benefit. Eventually, you will no longer gain as many hours per day, your skills will degrade faster, and you will not heal from wounds as quickly.

But all of that is a ways down the road for you. ;D

If you want to become an infil as quickly as possible, without regards to long-term, then beginning older will give you a head start. If you want to hold off old age as much as possible, begin young.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 24, 2012, 02:00:22 AM »
Can characters die of old age?
"If you find you are falling into madness - dive."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 24, 2012, 02:30:49 AM »
No.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 24, 2012, 11:40:12 AM »
Can characters die of old age?

There some characters of over 100 years, mine is almost 80 now, they can become real legends of age, so to speak.
Ye do eventually not get as much hours per turn though, everything takes a little longer when your old.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 24, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
I think it would be cool if characters could die of old age that would make everything more interesting.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 24, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
I think it would be cool if characters could die of old age that would make everything more interesting.
It is much easier to kill an old person in battle.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

MediumTedium

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 24, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »
Yea but if characters could die of old age that would change whole dynamic of realms i think.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 25, 2012, 03:00:59 AM »
For the better, methinks.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 25, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
100 should pretty much be the limit...
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 18, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
For the better, methinks.

Me too.

It's fun to have dinosaurs around.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron