Author Topic: December 2012 Roadmap  (Read 4510 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
December 2012 Roadmap
« Topic Start: December 03, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »
Due to family/friend gatherings and multiple holidays, December's activity level will be low.

December 2012 Goals:
Continued Doctrine Conversion
Test the New Message System on all islands
Continued Facebook updates

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Scott

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: December 2012 Roadmap
« Reply #1: December 03, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »
How long are we going to have the same things on the goals list? Also, Happy holidays Devs!

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: December 03, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
How long are we going to have the same things on the goals list? Also, Happy holidays Devs!

About 6 months with an optimism gun. :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 03, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
Because you can't code anything new until the doctrine conversion is finished correct?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 03, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
Certain new things can be coded, if it builds on already-converted code. That's how all this new sea travel code was added.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 03, 2012, 09:07:49 PM »
Is there a time that sea travel is planned for stable islands, or is it mostly a matter of creating the routes and database at this point?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 03, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
No, there is no planned date for stable yet. Also, there are no pre-defined routes for sea travel. It uses a completely new system that uses the region geometry and geoPHP (I think that's the right package) to determine where you can go. Stable islands will need the sea regions drawn, I think, as well as the required db updates. Probably more, too.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 03, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
For the conversion, could whatever is planned on being converted that month be stated?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 03, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »
For the conversion, could whatever is planned on being converted that month be stated?

It's not always clearly planned, and in most case will have no direct, immediate effect on game behaviour.

In this instance, though, I am planning on converting the guild/religion turn script, and thereby fixing the last of these maddening religious follower errors.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 04, 2012, 01:44:54 AM »
It's not always clearly planned, and in most case will have no direct, immediate effect on game behaviour.

In this instance, though, I am planning on converting the guild/religion turn script, and thereby fixing the last of these maddening religious follower errors.
As to the, it not having direct, immediate effect, I want to know more for curiosity and so we aren't hearing just doctrine conversion for the next six months. Just as its demotivating for the devs with having the burn down chart start in the negative, and this is probably demotivating for the devs too, but its rather demotivating to hear that doctrine conversion is all that's getting done for 6 months. Just as it likely would for the devs, it feels like more is getting done when we hear "The guild script is done" than "We now have only half the game left to convert"
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 14, 2012, 03:22:41 PM »
December Mid Month Update

December is a quiet month, but the developers are working away.
Overall Status: Green

December 2012 Goals:
Continued Doctrine Conversion - in progress
Test the New Message System on all islands - in progress
Continued Facebook updates - in progress

New Additions:
10 bugs have been fixed

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 29, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
I think we forgot something for the december 2012 goals:

BM's birthday! Every year we celebrate the birthday of our game and worship the great master Tom.
His yearly speech to the masses is certainly not be underestimated.
Often he also comes revealing new features to be implemented in the future or stuff he had been 'secretly' working on for some time.
Depending on what Tom is planning this year, it may take quite alot of his time.
From the hints Tom has given this year, we might be in for quite a treat.
This might be something he's working on for a long time.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 29, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
I think we forgot something for the december 2012 goals:

BM's birthday! Every year we celebrate the birthday of our game and worship the great master Tom.
His yearly speech to the masses is certainly not be underestimated.
Often he also comes revealing new features to be implemented in the future or stuff he had been 'secretly' working on for some time.
Depending on what Tom is planning this year, it may take quite alot of his time.
From the hints Tom has given this year, we might be in for quite a treat.
This might be something he's working on for a long time.

We did have a rather significant unexpected new feature lately: Sea Travel. And many aspects of the game were considerably revised.

I think we shouldn't get hopes up too high for any surprises, we've had a bunch already.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #13: January 01, 2013, 01:08:09 AM »
I think we shouldn't get hopes up too high for any surprises, we've had a bunch already.

And, Tom's busy with his own business.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 04, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
I'll be updating this soon - I was away and then have been busy interviewing for a new job.