Author Topic: Family Name Origins  (Read 15214 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Family Name Origins
« Topic Start: April 06, 2011, 01:34:42 AM »
Our creative minds at work. What inspired you to chose your family name?

Partly created this topic because I suspect Sacha of inspiring his family name on the royal house of France during the middle ages.
Renowned to me due to Philip IV "the Fair", who convicted the Knights Tempeliers and Jacques de Molay.

But allow me to start: My original family name was 'Ghia'. This stood on a badge we had here at home. It turned out to be a brand for cars. Either way, I am terrible with names and this was the best I could think of when joining the game. I changed it later because I felt it was not appropriate as the family name of a medieval noble house. I remember that I did not wanted to deviate too much from the original name, and I believe I found the name 'Galvez' among a list of other names. I started my search at the letter 'G' and Galvez was the most appropriate name to match the medieval atmosphere.

Not a great story, so I am certain you can top that. I am interested to hear about the other family names.  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Family Name Origins
« Reply #1: April 06, 2011, 02:35:29 AM »
It's simply Old Gaelic for "Fury"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 06, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »
My family and characters names all come from the Everlasting Book of Names, an awesome random name generator. I just keep generating names from the Greyhawk chapter until I get one I like.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: April 06, 2011, 03:47:57 AM »
There's a plant called the Artemisia. I altered the spelling by one letter to Artemesia.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: April 06, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »
For Gustav Kuriga, I chose a mix of the shortened version of Gustavus Adolphus' first name and a Japanese sounding last name (although in Japan that would be the personal and not the family name... but oh well). I think up most of my names from scratch, with Russian and Japanese being my two inspirations for the gruff sound of Russian and the feeling of honour I associate with Japan. I haven't used a Russian sounding name in this game mostly because I'm not sure Darka could fit another KK mine being Komurov Kuriga (which wouldn't sound good anyways).

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 06, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »
"Vellos" is the name of one of the factions in the truly spectacular shareware game EV Nova. I was big into EV Nova for a long time, and enjoyed the Vellos mission string in it... and figured nobody would recognize it. I have occasionally wished it were different, but generally like it, as it can fit with almost any millieu I want.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 06, 2011, 04:32:13 AM »
Lucas Avis is my online gaming name - usually its fine for RP and the only problems arises when someone recognizes me from the game that started it all off  if we were political enemies. So me and Avis just stick together to be honest we met in one game and we became friends and a family and then we became IRL Friends and well, I like to think my second family ;), especially when we Avis have become a very close nit group of people over the 6 years. The truly remarkable thing is that of all 60 persons who have been in the Avis, I can still contact 50ish members, and we have only ever had 4 people not like someone else. Hey Miriam, have you sorted it out with Dunpeal yet? :D

But yea, I get my family name for BM from my Renaissance Kingdoms character (whose name and titles is so long it should be illegal;
Rear Admiral HRH Cardinal-Prince Lucas-Miguel Avis of Portugal, Prince of Portugal and Beira, Cardinal Primat of England, Archbishop of Southwark Greenwich,  Grand Duke of Luton, Duke of Mar, Inquisitor of England, Royal Earl of Essex, Earl of Buckingham, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Essex, Lord Knight Protector of the Realm, Knight of the Round Table, Patriarch of the House of Avis, Chief of Intelligence

At least thats the longest it has ever been give or take a title. At least when the OOC scandal with the Curia happened I could drop most the religious titles :D Still nothing on Miriam whose Myrnia was my sister and Queen of Portugal and was in a love-to-hate relationship with my cousin Dunpeal - the Cardinal Primat of Portugal. Funny times :D Its what makes the Avis such a strong group of friends :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 06, 2011, 04:50:27 AM »
... you have a 50-person clan on BM... and you're openly confessing to this?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 06, 2011, 04:54:57 AM »
I think his 50 person clan is in the game Renaissance Kingdoms.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: April 06, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
Mine is just a random name that popped out of no where lol.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 06, 2011, 09:19:07 AM »
Bedwyr is the Welsh version of Bedivere, though I got it via a fantasy trilogy, the Crimson Shadow books by R.A. Salvatore (loved them when I was nine).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 06, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
I suspect Sacha of inspiring his family name on the royal house of France during the middle ages.

That's pretty much it, yes.

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 06, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
... you have a 50-person clan on BM... and you're openly confessing to this?

Actually as far as I know I am the only person Miriam has... persuaded*... to play BM... no matter how much she has tried to woo us in with promises of RP and fun and with a lot of nagging :D Some just wont leave RK... yet.

And I wouldnt call us a clan. On renaissance kingdoms we are a family, outside of that we are just a group of friends that have gotten to know each other very well. We might share games and even join a realm because someone else is there and can tell us what the realm is like and if it would suit our individual playstyle, but we dont break the rules. Ofc I would be less inclined to kill one of them but RPwise and IC I would do it. Different Game, Different Rules.

Besides you're more than welcome to apply to become an Avis, you would just have to play RK and ask Myrnia to investigate the genealogies :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 06, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »
Harte was a name i came up with myself, I wanted it to be something simple yet strong. Many good things have been said about the heart, as that is where courage, bravery, etc comes from.. so with a little alterage I dubbed my family name as "Harte"

My character names all come from cool names I pick up here and there.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 06, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Este

Started a family with somebody else in an other game and he came up with that. I just decided to also use it for BM. The "real" family has some interesting background though