Author Topic: Family Name Origins  (Read 15217 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Family Name Origins
« Reply #30: April 19, 2011, 03:54:14 AM »
"Vellos" is the name of one of the factions in the truly spectacular shareware game EV Nova. I was big into EV Nova for a long time, and enjoyed the Vellos mission string in it... and figured nobody would recognize it. I have occasionally wished it were different, but generally like it, as it can fit with almost any millieu I want.

I loved that game! Hard to find people who know anything about it though, as it was made by Ambrosia and they only ever made games for Apple computers. EV Nova was far and away the best of them, but I also played the original EV and EV Override along with a number of very good full conversion mods. I think I played through every storyline in that game, though amusingly enough I could never finish the Vellos storyline...

I would dearly love to play that game again.

Oh and, er, on the original topic my family name (as far as I know) is an original. Came up with it in about five minutes of thought. Just liked the sound I guess. As for my characters, there is no rhyme or reason to their first names. I just roll with whatever I like at the time I make them.

Nerukou

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 19, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »
My names are chosen from English pre-1600 funerary brasses.

Yes, that's right. I steal the identities of dead people.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 19, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
The Everchanging Book of Names.

No, an adventurer didn't find it for me. Its a shareware random name generator that generates names in a multitude of real world and fictional languagues.

Its really good and I recommend everyone who has trouble coming up with names to Google it up.

Thunthorn was made using the Sindarin generator.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 19, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
I loved that game! Hard to find people who know anything about it though, as it was made by Ambrosia and they only ever made games for Apple computers. EV Nova was far and away the best of them, but I also played the original EV and EV Override along with a number of very good full conversion mods. I think I played through every storyline in that game, though amusingly enough I could never finish the Vellos storyline...

I would dearly love to play that game again.

Oh and, er, on the original topic my family name (as far as I know) is an original. Came up with it in about five minutes of thought. Just liked the sound I guess. As for my characters, there is no rhyme or reason to their first names. I just roll with whatever I like at the time I make them.

You can now play them all on Mac OSX and Windows as well
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 20, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »
I loved that game! Hard to find people who know anything about it though

We are a rare and noble breed.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

WarMaid

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 20, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »

I came up with my family name in such an unoriginal way, that I'm almost ashamed...but obviously not completely or I wouldn't be posting it here.

With my brother standing over me, making me sign up for his awesome new online game, I had to immediately come up with a family name...family made me think of "kin" and the medieval aspect had "kingdoms" running through my mind...

You can see where that went.
Kindon Family

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 20, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
The Everchanging Book of Names.

Highly recommended.

http://ebon.pyorre.net/
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 21, 2011, 05:47:00 AM »
Glaumring/rung??? was some sword/dagger in the hobbit I think. And Apasurain is from the far east continent island of Apasur, where we all originally came from thousands of years ago.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 21, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
Gandalf's sword I believe.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 21, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »
Glaumring/rung??? was some sword/dagger in the hobbit I think. And Apasurain is from the far east continent island of Apasur, where we all originally came from thousands of years ago.

Glamdring! It's Glamdring, you philistine!  ;D

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 21, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
Yeah I purposely changed it so no one would complain that my name was like a  Gimli or Legolas...lol  ;D

Give me a break I haven't read the Hobbit in years . :'(
We live lives in beautiful lies...