Author Topic: Battletech/Megamek  (Read 5542 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Battletech/Megamek
« Topic Start: December 04, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »
Anyone familiar with Battletech or the games based in the Battletech universe? By this I mean Mechwarrior, Mechassault, Megamek, etc.?

Right now I'm playing a campaign of Megamek as part of a Inner Sphere military unit, in which we are fighting the Clans.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Battletech/Megamek
« Reply #1: December 04, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »
I played BattleTech and MechWarrior many years ago. I remember the Clan Invasionas it was first introduced. I still have the Michael Stackpole trilogy about it around here somewhere.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 04, 2012, 02:32:14 AM »
I fought Daishi and Hetland, does that count?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #3: December 04, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »
No, that doesn't count, Chenier. And Daishi in BM gave a bad reputation for what is otherwise an awesome mech. v-v

egamma

« Reply #4: December 04, 2012, 05:30:45 AM »
I love the Mechwarrior 2 video game, definitely on my top 20 of all-time. Soundtrack here

I didn't much like the MW3/4 style, it was too console-ish, with rapid cool rates, mechs flying all over the place. In MW2 your mech was hot and it actually felt like you were walking 75 tons of steel around.

And, Daishi = Dire Wolf, and I like Dire Wolf better as a name. Daishi is the IC name for a Clan mech.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 04, 2012, 05:52:21 AM »
No, that doesn't count, Chenier. And Daishi in BM gave a bad reputation for what is otherwise an awesome mech. v-v

Damn right.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #6: December 04, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »
I like the name Daishi. I like the mech even better, whatever you decide to call it. Last Megamek game I was in, my allies were trying to take out a Dasher for salvage. I looked, saw that my mech had a 100% chance to hit on all weapons, and decided to take it out. *boom* Not a piece left of the Dasher to be found, much to the annoyance of my friends. ^_^

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 04, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
When playing BattleTech, we found that we had the most fun playing mechs in the Medium to Heavy range. About 50-75 ton range. Big enough to be versatile, but still small enough that you had to make choices. Also, this was original tech, before all that ridiculously overpowered clan tech got added. The game seemed to have a lot more strategy when you had to make a lot of decisions about how to manage your weapon fire and heat load.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Richard Leonecoeur

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 04, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
I only played like twice, when I snuck into a war games convention. I had an Urban Mech, which was supposed to suck but I got three kills with it. Then when I died, I got something far better.

It wasn't a campaign, but it was fun as hell.

egamma

« Reply #9: December 04, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
I love Timber Wolf, 75 tons of lasers and long-range missiles. Clan mechs didn't seem overpowered in MW2 because you were fighting clanmechs--and elementals on one mission, those are impossible to hit.

Urban Mech, 35 tons I think? I think they are decent at urban combat.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 05, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
Elementals you say? Autocannon!

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 05, 2012, 04:05:01 AM »

+1
Motion seconded.

Richard Leonecoeur

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 05, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »
I love Timber Wolf, 75 tons of lasers and long-range missiles. Clan mechs didn't seem overpowered in MW2 because you were fighting clanmechs--and elementals on one mission, those are impossible to hit.

Urban Mech, 35 tons I think? I think they are decent at urban combat.

It didn't have many guns, didn't have much armor, couldn't shoot that far, and couldn't run that far. Still, I managed to evade and shoot intelligently. When I thought I was going to die I rammed a mech off a cliff, survived, and killed him. And then I got sniped, fell over, did some damage, and finally died.

My next one was a medium mech, and much, much better. I can't remember what the 'game mode' was, but it was fun as hell and I really am considering getting into it.

egamma

« Reply #13: December 05, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

If I had had pedals to go with my joystick, then maybe I could have rotated quickly enough. using joystick+keyboard just isn't good enough. I think I just ignored them.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 05, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
Try piloting one >.<