Author Topic: Pausing differences  (Read 8583 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Pausing differences
« Topic Start: December 05, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
What is the difference between cold storage and vacation pause, other than the fact that you specify return date with vacation pause?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Pausing differences
« Reply #1: December 05, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »
You lose pretty much everything in cold storage, and very few things are lost in vacation pauses.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 05, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
You lose pretty much everything in cold storage, and very few things are lost in vacation pauses.

What is lost?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 05, 2012, 06:12:13 PM »
In a Vacation pause, you lose your unit, forfeit all duels, withdraw all protests and poll candidacies, and lose your bonds.

In a Cold Storage pause, you lose your estate/region/duchy, guild memberships (and thus, if a priest, your class), army sponsorships, and unique items.

(And, of course, in either case, if you pause while in prison, you forfeit your gold to the Judge and are still eligible to be banned, deported, or executed.)

...I think that's everything.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 05, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Ok, thanks!

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 06, 2012, 04:41:03 AM »
I assume both pauses lose you any Government positions as well?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 06, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
I assume both pauses lose you any Government positions as well?

Most assuredly so.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What happens when you pause a character?
« Reply #7: August 24, 2013, 05:44:01 PM »
I'm thinking about pausing one of my characters so I can create a new one. What happens to a character when you pause? Does he lose his money? Does he continue to age? Does he lose items that he owns (advy)? Does it affect guild memberships? Skills? Honour? Fame? Prestige?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: What happens when you pause a character?
« Reply #8: August 24, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »
Cash gold, honor, fame and prestige are unaffected. Bonds are lost, skills will continue to degrade normally, age will go up. You lose all titles and guild/religion memberships.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 24, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
Age is affected by both time AND wounds. And as someone who has had a paused character for a few months, I can attest that a paused character's age does increase over time.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 24, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
What about items? Does a paused character keep his common and unique items? Do unique items deteriorate while paused?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 24, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
It's been years since I paused an advy with items, but I *think* you keep the items, but they do degrade as they normally would.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 24, 2013, 10:58:11 PM »
I *think* you lose the common items, but keep the unique items (and I'm sure they would degrade as normal)? I'm much more fuzzy on this point though.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 25, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »
No idea, does a tree make noise if it falls and no one is there to here it? Maybe the characters keep living, or maybe they are just lost in time and space. The thing is, no one really knows what happens to paused characters although many claim they do.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 25, 2013, 01:10:06 AM »
No idea, does a tree make noise if it falls and no one is there to here it? Maybe the characters keep living, or maybe they are just lost in time and space. The thing is, no one really knows what happens to paused characters although many claim they do.
Yeah...no. When you unpause a character, you find out by looking at the changes.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton