Author Topic: Religious Paraphernalia  (Read 3182 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Religious Paraphernalia
« Topic Start: November 27, 2012, 09:22:23 PM »
Title:
Religious Paraphernalia

Summary:
A troopleader can buy certain religious mobile statues or idols or perhaps bards who chant religious songs
I think it would be cool if this religious paraphernalia would work as a mobile shrine yet quite more powerful and also more expensive.
Perhaps it could also give your unit a slight morale bonus, great for on long campaigns(think about crusades)

Details:
Perhaps they could cost 10 gold each and 5 gold per week, beeing double as powerful as shrines.
They could give a 5% morale boost for the first one with reduced moral improving effect after each next religious paraphernalia also taking the unit size into consideration, more men is higher effectiveness for these religious paraphernalia.
I like it if it would be called something general so everyone can oleplay them as they like, some would have bards others would have huge symbols or have peasants hand out free food to everyone, what ever.
Only members of religions can buy this paraphernalia, pagans do not follow a faith organzied enough to have religious paraphernalia.

Benefits:
The same as shrines yet being mobile.
Slight increase in Morale for your unit
A realistic effect to stationing your unit in a region for a long time, creating more cultural impact(although still small).
Increasing the importance, advantages and roleplay impact of religion.
Making noble members of a faith all actively able to help there church spread its faith and practice there religion.

Possible Exploits:
Not sure.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Religious Paraphernalia
« Reply #1: November 27, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
Possible extra Loot option with atleast 1 Religious Paraphernalia:

Convert by the sword: simply kill and rape yet with giving every victim one chance to convert to the faith, if denied the normal procedure follows.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 28, 2012, 02:49:38 AM »
I actually think it should be half the strength of a shrine as according to the wiki, a shrine can be more powerful than an inexperienced priest, and it seems like if you become a priest you should be doing more converting off the start than you did with your unit. Also the prices should be higher, especially if you allow more than one religious paraphernalia, as shrines are quite expensive for the priest, so should it for the "mobile shrine," so it would be something like 50 to buy and 5 a week for the first one.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:55:08 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 08, 2012, 04:30:07 AM »
I liked the idea. A possible exploit would be boost the Priests. Perhaps this would be useless to them, as they already travel with their own paraphernalia, or, would bring them more to the game possibilities. I always've seen the priests as something alien to the entire options of the game. They can buy any paraphernalia, but can't use them (even scouts). Having the possibility to buy some religious stuff would be very nice.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 08, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
I liked the idea. A possible exploit would be boost the Priests. Perhaps this would be useless to them, as they already travel with their own paraphernalia, or, would bring them more to the game possibilities. I always've seen the priests as something alien to the entire options of the game. They can buy any paraphernalia, but can't use them (even scouts). Having the possibility to buy some religious stuff would be very nice.

I imagined religious paraphernalia to be only for troopleaders.
The whole point of the priest game is that it is diferent, i wouldn't want my priest to be able to scout, carry banners or healers or anything.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: December 08, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
ICly, even your priest is attended to by what amounts to a small army of courtiers typically.  It would make sense for them to also carry around a piece of the True Cross (for example) or other relics to appeal to the faithful. 

Though knights also having access to such makes sense as well, as even historically (as with the True Cross and other relics) soldiers tended to carry around religious icons to boost morale and feel themselves religiously justified in their actions.  The loss of a religious relic could be morale-breaking without question.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 09, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
ICly, even your priest is attended to by what amounts to a small army of courtiers typically.  It would make sense for them to also carry around a piece of the True Cross (for example) or other relics to appeal to the faithful. 

Though knights also having access to such makes sense as well, as even historically (as with the True Cross and other relics) soldiers tended to carry around religious icons to boost morale and feel themselves religiously justified in their actions.  The loss of a religious relic could be morale-breaking without question.

What about making Religious paraphernalia simply unique items?
Unique items already raise morale on the field, perhaps some unqiue items could be religious items, same rules apply as normal unique items, yet it has an extra effect like a shrine or simply in increasing oratory skill.
All the major faiths that are around at least for a year can request the devs to add some items of there religion to the world.

Concerning cultural impact, maybe every unit of a religious noble could have a very slight effect like a shrine.

The main reason i posted this feautre request is because i'd like to see religion become more important in BM.
its also much more motivating to go abroad and seek the 'holy cross' where its rumoured to be if its a very important item for your religion then beeing a 'regular'  unique item.

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 10, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
We could have both. We all know tales about holy relics, but we also know the historic sell of false relics and heaven gifts by churchs.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 10, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
Make a unique item for founder when creating religion.  Make it improve oratory skill and maybe provide passive conversions, strengthened along the same scale as the skill boost.