Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Realms named after characters

Started by Chenier, December 10, 2012, 04:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chenier

Quote from: vonGenf on December 10, 2012, 09:46:47 PM
But still illegal for duchies, at least if you name it after you - word of Tom.

(See this post to read the discussion: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3306.msg77448.html#msg77448)

Which is one more reason why it makes absolutely no sense for it to be allowed for realms, when it isn't even allowed for duchies.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

As a matter of fact, there are a few near examples and even one perfect hit in the real world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country-name_etymologies

Saudi-Arabia is named after the ruling dynasty, the Saud.

Nevertheless, this should not become common practice. As with all rules, there is probably a really good exception somewhere, but if you even have to think about it, then the particular case in question probably isn't it.

Gustav Kuriga

Apparently our realm has the misfortune of having a name very similar to a temperature measurement... one that is named after a rl person. D:

Vessol

Well, if anything, he probably was saner than Allison :D.
Mithridates Family: Vessol (Nivemus), Samos (Farronite Republic)
The White Tree Times, Newspaper for the East Continent
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/The_White_Tree_Times

Indirik

Quote from: Gustav Kuriga on December 11, 2012, 01:09:23 AM
Apparently our realm has the misfortune of having a name very similar to a temperature measurement... one that is named after a rl person. D: very embarrassing typo in its name.

...ftfy
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
― G.K. Chesterton

Stabbity

Rome, Romania. Two very prominent examples. One named after Rome, which heralds to Romulus. If you follow the myth at all, that is.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

NoblesseChevaleresque

The fact the Provincia di Fiorenza, Fiorenza being an archaic Italian noun for Florence, was founded by a noble called Florence in her Florentine City-State is completely a coincidence, that aside it was also completely intentional and thus not a coincidence. I would at least like to think Provincia di Fiorenza, based of the former Italian Republic and City state and headed by a woman who shares it's name is a bit more tasteful than "Kabrinskia" and "Solaria". It's also something of an in game reference as I think the former Madinian's always equated themselves to the Republic of Venice, for some reason, and Mendicant promised Florence a Republic since he sort of... destroyed her Madinian Republic.

Besides, cool rulers don't name realms after themselves, that's just crass, they name entire continents after their majesty, such as Mendicant has done. It's not Dwilight, it's Anhangaphalia. It's not the Madinian Isles, its the Mendicontinent.

Nosferatus

Quote from: NoblesseChevaleresque on December 11, 2012, 11:26:42 AM
It's not Dwilight, it's Anhangaphalia. It's not the Madinian Isles, its the Mendicontinent.

hahaha omg my day cant get any better
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Vellos

Quote from: NoblesseChevaleresque on December 11, 2012, 11:26:42 AM
Besides, cool rulers don't name realms after themselves, that's just crass, they name entire continents after their majesty, such as Mendicant has done. It's not Dwilight, it's Anhangaphalia. It's not the Madinian Isles, its the Mendicontinent.

You Orvandeux do really have a unique flare to your arrogance, I'll grant that.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

NoblesseChevaleresque

Quote from: Vellos on December 11, 2012, 04:48:04 PM
You Orvandeux do really have a unique flare to your arrogance, I'll grant that.

What can I say? Mendicant's got swag.

vonGenf

Quote from: Indirik on December 11, 2012, 04:31:21 AM
name very similar to a temperature measurement... D: very embarrassing typo in its name....ftfy

I was so focused on the Farronite part, I only just saw it.... wow.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

I'd hate to be the player of Khari right now. ^_^

NoblesseChevaleresque

To be honest, it's better as Farronite Republic. Why? Farrow means a litter of pigs, Farron however in Gaelic means thunder/lightning (One of the two). Golden Farrow is just a golden litter of pigs taken literally. (A fitting equation for the Astroist's?).