Author Topic: Realms named after characters  (Read 25300 times)

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Realms named after characters
« Reply #75: December 28, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
On top of that the naming after persons/families may even provide an extra dynamic. You'd want to rule a realm called after the Kabrinska's or Solari's? Maybe one Duke will prefer his own glory, Quennius sounds like a fun name, might try it one day hehe
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: December 28, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
Actually, it's completely legitimate for a player-character to roleplay stealing OOCly public information from a minor NPC.

Interesting interpretation of legitimate.

You do NOT get to speak for all nobles and intellectual or cultural elites of a realm. Aurvandil is not yours on an OOC level. Also, you assume Terran is ignorant of Orvandeaux culture– we're really not. Maybe once upon a time, but not so much anymore. Terran isn't ignorant of Aurvandil's culture, it just wants to kill Aurvandil's culture.

Interesting. So you're not culturally ignorant of Aurvandil? Hmm.

Tell me more about how your character knows who Mendicant's Royal Champion is, or if your character knows what Orvandeaux Chivalry demands of our conduct in war, or how your character knows who the Porte-Auriflamme is and where the Auriflamme is kept, or if your character knows why we've left Tovabur rogue for so long, or why don't you tell me that your character knows why we have the Chevaliers Disith, and the Chevaliers Hausos, and what is the integral difference between the two? Oh does your character know why Mendicant is a High Sovereign and a king simultaneously? Does your character know what the name is of the sword we use to acclaim our Monarchs? Could your character correctly identify the three different philosophies embodied by Sarit, Mendicant and Allomere? For good measure, can your character correctly state why the Evanburg duchy is a Marquessate, the Tower Fatmilak duchy is  a Margraviate, and Candiels an ordinary duchy, and what their different functions and governance are? Or could your character say why Bol is in the Candiels duchy despite the Margraviate separating it from Candiels?

If you "really not" ignorant of our culture as you boast, then your character will know the answer to each of these, these are the most basic roleplayed parts of Aurvandil and the most frequent at that. I'm sure your character knows well enough about the culture he wishes to destroy, otherwise you don't exactly have a business claiming to be knowledgeable of Orvandeaux culture.

I'm not sure where you get the rest from– I don't know of anybody who has been roleplaying Aurvandil as mentally disabled or militarily weak.

You do, of course, you never say it outright in your roleplays but you equate us to that by your portrayal of Aurvandil.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: December 28, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »
The better question is - do they actually care enough and does it matter OOC or IC to them - and the answer is no.

Much like the clearly labeled "lies" that were spread by Soliferum about Nighthelm, or the ones Nighthelm spread about Soliferum, your view of your opponent doesn't have to represent or care about them.   

All Vallyn needs to know about Aurvandilian culture (and he would use that term) is they are Royalists.  Anything else is secondary to that one, vile fact.   He doesn't care about anything other than that simple truth, and it is a truth.   Therefore the rest of Aurvandil's internal RP's are irrelevant to him (and likely anyone else who doesn't really care what you RP inside your Realm.)

Much like I don't really care about the extensive and elaborate RP's for the Bloodstar Faith.   Is it impressive - heck yes, but unless one of my characters decides to manipulate them using information like that, its not details I need (or really IC should know).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: December 28, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
If you "really not" ignorant of our culture as you boast, then your character will know the answer to each of these, these are the most basic roleplayed parts of Aurvandil and the most frequent at that.
Given how BattleMaster works, it would be interesting to see how many of the characters in Aurvandil could, off the top of their heads, answer these questions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: December 28, 2012, 09:36:32 PM »
Given how BattleMaster works, it would be interesting to see how many of the characters in Aurvandil could, off the top of their heads, answer these questions.
That and knowing a culture isn't being able to answer a set of questions. I could quiz noblesse on the history of America or even it's current politics but that is not the culture though from the current politics you get some of American culture. Culture is, as defined by dictionary.com, the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture. So if you can answer all those questions, you likely know Orvandeux culture, but just because you can't answer the questions doesn't mean you don't know the culture.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:40:26 PM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: December 28, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
If you "really not" ignorant of our culture as you boast, then your character will know the answer to each of these, these are the most basic roleplayed parts of Aurvandil and the most frequent at that. I'm sure your character knows well enough about the culture he wishes to destroy, otherwise you don't exactly have a business claiming to be knowledgeable of Orvandeaux culture.

Does a thief, spy, infiltrate or whatever need to know about some RP that maybe many of your realm-mates don't, as Indirik says? Even assuming he/she reached those documents because of his relations among Aurvandilian cartographers, as a person related to those studies, he wouldn't have to know anything about the Chevaliers X or the Chevaliers Y. He doesn't even have to know all about Aurvandilian geographic and political issues. He could even be a cartographer's slave lover, which wouldn't be rare in such a rich realm.

And maybe the character doesn't have a particular feeling about Aurvandil, he just does his job. And does it fine, if gets to steal those documents.

Anyway, if you published that on the Wiki, you'd expect it to be seen by other players. I guess you didn't expect them to just agree if that if it concerned another realm.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: December 30, 2012, 11:28:33 AM »
... who the Porte-Auriflamme is and where the Auriflamme is kept...

Huh. Sounds like some cosmetics brand  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: December 30, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
And Aurvandil is very good at generating fuss over nothing.

Nobodies offended that Aurvandil had our Knight Hausos sharpen his sword on their Senate house, which to Aurvandil was the ultimate humiliation and most grievous repudiation of statehood a realm could ever suffer, but they were annoyed that Allomere mentally referred to their peasants as poorly dressed.

You really wish to bring this up again? Seriously?

As far as I know, the irritation was purely at an OOC level for ridiculous arrogance poor roleplay.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: December 30, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
You really wish to bring this up again? Seriously?

As far as I know, the irritation was purely at an OOC level for ridiculous arrogance poor roleplay.

If you character's in the capital of the other, sharpening your stuff on their buildings is a perfectly legitimate RP. IC humiliating or not. He's there, what would stop him?

However, describing their housing as mud huts or saying the locals look like anything degrading is based purely on an OOC desire to humiliate. Because you aren't RPing your character and his actions anymore, you are RPing the others'.

But after all of the debates, I'm not surprised you still don't get the reason why so many people find Aurvandilian RPs offensive.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: January 04, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »
Interesting interpretation of legitimate.

Interesting. So you're not culturally ignorant of Aurvandil? Hmm.

Tell me more about how your character knows who Mendicant's Royal Champion is, or if your character knows what Orvandeaux Chivalry demands of our conduct in war, or how your character knows who the Porte-Auriflamme is and where the Auriflamme is kept, or if your character knows why we've left Tovabur rogue for so long, or why don't you tell me that your character knows why we have the Chevaliers Disith, and the Chevaliers Hausos, and what is the integral difference between the two? Oh does your character know why Mendicant is a High Sovereign and a king simultaneously? Does your character know what the name is of the sword we use to acclaim our Monarchs? Could your character correctly identify the three different philosophies embodied by Sarit, Mendicant and Allomere? For good measure, can your character correctly state why the Evanburg duchy is a Marquessate, the Tower Fatmilak duchy is  a Margraviate, and Candiels an ordinary duchy, and what their different functions and governance are? Or could your character say why Bol is in the Candiels duchy despite the Margraviate separating it from Candiels?

lol, right. Because, what, 10 years of Orvandeux rule of Candiels is enough to establish a culture?

My knowledge of Orvndeux elite royalist culture is more extensive than you think– but assuredly not complete.

But your apparent idea that every single person in Candiels, from street urchin to duke, is part of a monolithic culture, that every tradesman sees himself as Orvandeaux, is not only presumptuous and out of line with basic rules of RP, but also very non-SMA.

You're right: I don't know the answer to all those questions. And I'm sure you've come up with all sorts of fancy RPs about them and hundreds more questions. But that doesn't mean, not in the slightest, that you get to decide that every leather-worker in Candiels is an ardent royalist true-believer.

Your RP must account for the fact that your peasants have shown a recent propensity for street violence, mob rule, overthrow of nobles, and a shocking amount of sympathy for the Astroist theocracies. Which tells me you have Normans ruling Saxons. Your people are not all Chevaliers even if your nobles are.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner