Author Topic: Should the Banker position be removed?  (Read 5807 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Should the Banker position be removed?
« Topic Start: December 13, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
When I logged into the game today there was an ooc conversation to the other bankers asking what the position was for now....I don't have an answer for that.  Should the position be removed?

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Banker position be removed?
« Reply #1: December 13, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Heh.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 13, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
Food is generally the bankers job. Selling, buying etc. If there isn't a big surplus it's just making sure the realm stays fed.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 14, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
The banker is a planner, facilitator, negotiator, front man, and big-picture guy all rolled into one. The bigger the realm (especialy the larger number of duchies) the greater need for bankers. The banker has oversight and policy on his side, but no direct powers. Therefore, his usefulness is all in what use the realm finds for him.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 14, 2012, 01:07:52 AM »
The banker is a planner, facilitator, negotiator, front man, and big-picture guy all rolled into one. The bigger the realm (especialy the larger number of duchies) the greater need for bankers. The banker has oversight and policy on his side, but no direct powers. Therefore, his usefulness is all in what use the realm finds for him.
Well he does have the early tax and shadow government for power, plus knowledge but otherwise +1
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 14, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »
This continues to baffle me.

What is the purpose of the General position? Every noble can decide for himself where to go, and there are even Marshals to command the various army groups. Generals have (essentially) no extra buttons they can push that give them power that other nobles don't. They don't even (currently) have much information that their Marshals don't (though to some extent, that's a bug).

But I have almost never heard anyone question the purpose of the General position.

A good Banker pays attention to the food situation throughout the realm and keeps on top of Lords who aren't buying enough food, or Lords who aren't selling enough. If Lords continually ignore them, they need the support of the Judge to enforce proper discipline—just like the General does.

Good grief; just because the Banker doesn't have all the same buttons he used to doesn't mean that he's suddenly totally worthless.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 14, 2012, 04:26:25 AM »
This continues to baffle me.

What is the purpose of the General position? Every noble can decide for himself where to go, and there are even Marshals to command the various army groups. Generals have (essentially) no extra buttons they can push that give them power that other nobles don't. They don't even (currently) have much information that their Marshals don't (though to some extent, that's a bug).

But I have almost never heard anyone question the purpose of the General position.

A good Banker pays attention to the food situation throughout the realm and keeps on top of Lords who aren't buying enough food, or Lords who aren't selling enough. If Lords continually ignore them, they need the support of the Judge to enforce proper discipline—just like the General does.

Good grief; just because the Banker doesn't have all the same buttons he used to doesn't mean that he's suddenly totally worthless.
The general has an obvious job, supreme military commander. The banker does not, and the game likes to imply he has no authority.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 14, 2012, 05:19:23 AM »
The banker has an obvious job: keep the realm fed. It gives him, and him alone, the big picture view of the entire realm's food supply. The more duchies you have, the more important that is. Essentially, the banker's importance increases with number of duchies, just as a general's importance increases with number of armies and allies.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 14, 2012, 05:26:54 AM »
I have been thinking that the Banker's job is what is assigned to him by the government. I think a perfect job for the Banker is region health. That means, as has already been mentioned, ensuring regions are being feed. I also think that would include ensuring region stats are healthy. Lastly, I would have him monitor tax rates to ensure the crown or council or what not is properly paid. To make this possible I would declare him to be in charge of traders and courtiers. Possibly diplomats. If I were banker I would consider making an army and having the lords of the realm put those in my command into it to ease communications. I would see him as being like the General but with different kinds of "soldiers" under his command.

Of course, this is one of many options. I could imagine the Banker taking on other, similar roles. The leader or governing body should actively assign the Banker duties. If this does not happen, the banker should simply decide for themselves what his duties are and start ordering/politicking around in order to see those duties fulfilled.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:30:40 AM by Unwin »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 14, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »
Of course, this is one of many options. I could imagine the Banker taking on other, similar roles. The leader or governing body should actively assign the Banker duties. If this does not happen, the banker should simply decide for themselves what his duties are and start ordering/politicking around in order to see those duties fulfilled.

The name "Banker" is no longer enforced by the game. It is a leftover from the time where titles were decided by your government type. Nothing stops the ruler from naming the banker "Chancellor" or any such title and giving him whichever responsibility he wants.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: December 14, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
I would still love to see a realm-based bank account that the banker could use to invest in regions for an eventual (and profitable) return.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 14, 2012, 11:42:38 AM »

Exactly. The Banker position is what you make of it as Banker. And that's not always easy, but you can have very weak (For example, the Banker of Kabrinskia was very weak) and very strong Bankers (For example, Old Grehk's old Banker, and perhaps that's still the case, had a very strong position in the Realm). You don't get it all handed on a golden platter as Banker, you have to work for it and make your position stronger :)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 14, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
You can't compare the General to the Banker.  The General is the leader of the military, and in this war style game, that's very powerful.  The General also has tools to see if their orders are being carried out, the Banker does not. (ie: sell food to only allies).  Now, if the Markets Report included the sale conditions (Allies only, Anyone) then that would be a very helpful tool.  Even transaction records could assist this.

From what I can see, there's way too much food on Atamara for the Banker to have any real political influence.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:32:26 PM by Azerax »

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 14, 2012, 03:40:55 PM »
I do agree with Draco.  For some time I have thought it would be great if the banker could directly use the realm coffer for investments.  I'd even go for a passive perk that raises production,  even SLIGHTLY above 100%, similar to ruler presence raising stats.

That, or maybe give the banker the option to split investment costs with the regional coffers, when possible.   This would give a little strength, but could also be a big thing for local politics.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #14: December 14, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
You can't compare the General to the Banker.  The General is the leader of the military, and in this war style game, that's very powerful.  The General also has tools to see if their orders are being carried out, the Banker does not. (ie: sell food to only allies).  Now, if the Markets Report included the sale conditions (Allies only, Anyone) then that would be a very helpful tool.  Even transaction records could assist this.

From what I can see, there's way too much food on Atamara for the Banker to have any real political influence.

Also, the General can assign and disband militia anywhere in the realm. If that's not powerful, I don't know what is.