Author Topic: additional messaging options  (Read 3801 times)

egamma

additional messaging options
« Topic Start: April 06, 2011, 08:26:20 PM »
I would like to see the "send to some" option, and a corresponding "reply to all" feature. Consider this scenario, that occurred to me yesterday:

1. Foreign Ambassador (FA) sends message to Ruler
2. Ruler cannot get (FA) to talk to Local Ambassador (LA)

with the "send to some" and "reply all" enabled, then the scenario would play out like this:

1. FA sends message to Ruler
2. Ruler goes to "send to some" and selects LA and FA
3. LA and FA can how "reply to all" and talk without going through the ruler

Another possibility would be an "add additonal recipient" feature when replying.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: additional messaging options
« Reply #1: April 06, 2011, 08:51:57 PM »
I'm not entirely sure I understand.

You want ambassador from Realm A to be able to talk to ambassador from Realm B, without going through the ruler?

First of all, Contact Management, which is active on all continents, should allow the ruler to send each ambassador's contact details to the other, and enable to them to talk directly that way.

Second of all, on testing, all Ambassadors now have an option to message all the ambassadors of another specified realm.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 06, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
Tim,

I think at least one part of that request is essentially the ability to "send to some contacts" as opposed to the current "send to one contact".
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 06, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »
Since the desired outcome (his #3) was that "LA and FA can...talk without going through the ruler", I believe that was only desired as a means to an end.

Sending to more than one contact at a time is restricted as a means of preventing you from just sending to whatever large group you please at any given time.  It is, in its way, a balance thing.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 06, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
Fair enough.  It's not that hard to copy/paste stuff, I suppose
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

egamma

« Reply #5: April 07, 2011, 03:00:26 AM »
okay...that is the most buried feature in the game. In fact, I don't think I've ever had someone send me a contact in this manner, in 4 years of playing.

For those playing along at home, here's the process:
1. Politics tab
2. Paperwork
3. Manage your Contacts...
4. find the contact information you want to send, and click "send"
5. select the recipient of the contact information and hit select

It only takes 4 clicks for me to declare war, and 2 or 3 for most other options.

Can we place this feature someplace more visible? For example, the whole interface could be copied to the messaging "send to one of your contacts" page.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 07, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
It is a pretty new feature, so maybe you just missed the fact it was rolled out? It is also available from the main message menu. Look the right under Other Options
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 07, 2011, 03:04:42 AM »
For those playing along at home, here's the process:
1. Politics tab
2. Paperwork
3. Manage your Contacts...
4. find the contact information you want to send, and click "send"
5. select the recipient of the contact information and hit select

It only takes 4 clicks for me to declare war, and 2 or 3 for most other options.

You can knock a step off that by just going Messages > Contacts rather than through Paperwork.

Can we place this feature someplace more visible? For example, the whole interface could be copied to the messaging "send to one of your contacts" page.

Not really; that's part of the messaging selection page, which works differently.
Timothy Collett

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 07, 2011, 03:05:24 AM »
It is a pretty new feature, so maybe you just missed the fact it was rolled out?

Yeah, it only got implemented some time last year, I think.
Timothy Collett

egamma

« Reply #9: April 07, 2011, 03:13:00 AM »
...dang it, you're all correct. nice work.