Author Topic: Ability to establish funds  (Read 4469 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Ability to establish funds
« Topic Start: December 25, 2012, 03:26:44 PM »
Title: Establishment of funds

Summary: Allow nobles to split their gold and bonds into several different funds. When paying your troops, sending gold to other nobles, etc, you can choose which fund that gold comes from.

Details: As a ruler, sponsor and marshal, I have multiple responsibilities and it would be extremely convenient if I could split up my gold/bonds into different funds for these responsibilities. For example, I would have:

1) A day-to-day fund for paying my troops, training, etc.
2) An army fund for gold that will be sent to army members to help them recruit and pay their troops.
3) A sponsor fund for when the warchest needs refilling.
4) An emergency fund for dire situations, such as when the realm is invaded.

Other funds could include one for purchasing food, or Academy training.

Funds could be set up - and gold transferred between funds - at a bank. When doing actions that require gold or bonds, such as paying your troops, sending gold to nobles, buying food, etc, you would choose which fund you wish to use for this purpose.

While you can have virtual funds at the moment by deciding where you will spend your gold, the ability to have actual funds would make this so much easier. I would love to just be able to have a separate fund for a specific purpose and transfer gold into it so it's not spent on something else.

Benefits: Convenience and improved organisational abilities.

Possible Exploits: None that I can see.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to establish funds
« Reply #1: December 25, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
I'll be honest- I don't get the point of this request.

Though before reading into it I was imagining that it was a request to automatically send out bonds/gold.  For example, you're the duke of war torn duchy with low income, but you yourself have suitable income and regularly send bonds to poor knights.
I would have more interest in this proposal instead:
Duke makes whatever amount per tax, and tax day automatically sends either set amounts or percentages out.

This could be the vodka talking though, and for that I apologize.  Happy Holidays!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 25, 2012, 08:20:24 PM »
This appears to be a request for some kind of enhanced bookkeeping/accounting for you gold/bonds. Honestly, I don't really see this happening.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 25, 2012, 09:54:18 PM »
I'll be honest- I don't get the point of this request.

Though before reading into it I was imagining that it was a request to automatically send out bonds/gold.  For example, you're the duke of war torn duchy with low income, but you yourself have suitable income and regularly send bonds to poor knights.
I would have more interest in this proposal instead:
Duke makes whatever amount per tax, and tax day automatically sends either set amounts or percentages out.

This could be the vodka talking though, and for that I apologize.  Happy Holidays!
It is similar to having different bank accounts is what he is asking. As to certain amounts or percentages being sent out on tax day, it's called estates. If there is no direct thing like that, then it wouldn't be automatic, it would be through a bank.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 25, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »
It is similar to having different bank accounts is what he is asking. As to certain amounts or percentages being sent out on tax day, it's called estates. If there is no direct thing like that, then it wouldn't be automatic, it would be through a bank.

Perhaps we'll introduce savings accounts, investment banking and inflation...

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: December 25, 2012, 10:19:03 PM »
Index funds, national bonds, and a stock exchange for completeness.

P.S. I actually support national bonds for BM. :P
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 25, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »
Perhaps we'll introduce savings accounts, investment banking and inflation...
not sure if you are saint the request is to modern or you seriously think that
Index funds, national bonds, and a stock exchange for completeness.

P.S. I actually support national bonds for BM. :P
Having your money sorted out seems quite feasible for that era, it just wouldn't be separate bank accounts, merely sorted by your workers for you.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 28, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »
Use guilds, I guess?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 28, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

1) A day-to-day fund for paying my troops, training, etc.
2) An army fund for gold that will be sent to army members to help them recruit and pay their troops.
3) A sponsor fund for when the warchest needs refilling.
4) An emergency fund for dire situations, such as when the realm is invaded.

When you are a ruler, you should delegate. Have your banker deal with these monetary issues - he'll have something to do at the same time! If you do not want to be the one managing most of the gold of your realm, have someone else do it. Get more people involved. Your proposal, in my opinion, will only make it more complex - besides, only a few would benefit from it.

You could also say that your second point would simply be an "expansion" of the applications of an army's war chest. Right now the war chest already helps to pay for repairs and whatnot. I would dig a little expansion and perhaps the option for the army's sponsor to enable/disable such abilities (to allow "poorer" sponsors not to be bankrupted within a day).

An emergency fund can be stored in a religion. Yes, this may appear a weird reason to use your religion, but hey... it isn't taxed (at least not the last time I did it) and it can store giant amounts of gold. I remember in Ibladesh we had stored over 15 000 gold in the treasuries of the Church of Ibladesh, to be used in wartime. To apply another of my personal experiences: Riombara uses a message group that includes "characters with a high income" (i.e. dukes and council members) to distribute funds. A sort-of monetary council, to which requests are sent by nobles and reports are sent when the request is fulfilled. I find this works pretty good, given your realm actually produces a surplus of gold.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 28, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »
Temples are taxed about half the tax rate of the region. But when the Lord of the Region is the main financer of the Temple Treasury, part of that returns to him again.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 28, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »
Temples are taxed at a quarter of the regional rate, guilds at half.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 28, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
Temples are taxed at a quarter of the regional rate, guilds at half.
Which reminds me of a feature request I need to make soon.
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 28, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
Which reminds me of a feature request I need to make soon.

Found a religion called Mercantilism, and preach the value of gold and banking!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: December 28, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
Found a religion called Mercantilism, and preach the value of gold and banking!
Ha that would be pretty good but my Atamaran character is committed to saving Evgenism and my Dwilight character is committed to being a trader otherwise I could maybe see him doing that.
― G.K. Chesterton