Author Topic: Fame - sword fighting  (Read 24886 times)

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Fame - sword fighting
« Topic Start: December 26, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »
So my adventure has a fame sword fighting of 85. Not to bad, though I have not been to an academy for a while to know what the actual score is. I'm wondering just how many people are in that top 15%?
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Fame - sword fighting
« Reply #1: December 27, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Adventurer? Pah, sticking monsters is not swordfighting!

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: December 28, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »
Oooo, my Advy has a 91 for Adventuring, and a 31 for Infiltration, bafflingly. Advies gain Infiltration skill?

Amusingly, he also has a 42 for Prestige. Not bad for a commoner.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 28, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
So my adventure has a fame sword fighting of 85. Not to bad, though I have not been to an academy for a while to know what the actual score is. I'm wondering just how many people are in that top 15%?

My understanding is that 15% of the characters should be in the top 15%.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: December 28, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
My understanding is that 15% of the characters should be in the top 15%.
Actually I am quite sure that is wrong because the number should be proportionate to the best, not a percentile ranking.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 28, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
Actually I am quite sure that is wrong because the number should be proportionate to the best, not a percentile ranking.

Indeed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 28, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »

Oooo, my Advy has a 91 for Adventuring, and a 31 for Infiltration, bafflingly. Advies gain Infiltration skill?

If that is true, no one on this continent has more than 15% infiltration skill. I find that unlikely.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 28, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
If that is true, no one on this continent has more than 15% infiltration skill. I find that unlikely.

An how do you know the infiltration skill of every character on the continent...?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 28, 2012, 09:31:51 PM »
As my character does not have a score for infiltration I find it more likely that advys gain infiltration skill.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 28, 2012, 09:33:11 PM »
An how do you know the infiltration skill of every character on the continent...?
If its proportional and Velax's advy had the standard 5%, with a rank of 31 that would put the top character at 15% roughly.
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: December 28, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
If its proportional and Velax's advy had the standard 5%, with a rank of 31 that would put the top character at 15% roughly.

I have said several times that it is not linear.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 28, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »
So the number means very little without the formula?
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: December 28, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »

So is it a non-linear function of the ratio between your skill and the skill of the best character on the continent, i.e. Penchant's idea but without the proportionate part?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: December 29, 2012, 12:00:46 AM »
So the number means very little without the formula?

It means quite a lot, but you can not extrapolate from it to other characters, and that's intentional - otherwise it would give away too much information.

But still a higher value means your are closer to the top and a low number means you are far away. And a number above, say, 90, means you are one of the best.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: December 29, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
It means quite a lot, but you can not extrapolate from it to other characters, and that's intentional - otherwise it would give away too much information.

But still a higher value means your are closer to the top and a low number means you are far away. And a number above, say, 90, means you are one of the best.
IMO that is very little as it being fame you should be able to know stuff a bit more specific when comparing to the rest the world but at the same time I understand not wanting it to be used for some things. I assume this means when people said whatever your fame is for a skill is your skill is actually not true then? Also perhaps so it actually fame, top 10's on some of things, and more explanation of the categories because some of them they don't really tell you what you are being ranked on, just a general thing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:14:19 AM by Penchant »
― G.K. Chesterton