Author Topic: Big morale loss for using Sympathy Take Over  (Read 2978 times)

Zakilevo

Big morale loss for using Sympathy Take Over
« Topic Start: December 28, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »
Title: Big morale loss for using Sympathy Take Over

Summary: Doing Sympathy Take Over makes troops lose morale

Details: I think there should be a consequence for using Sympathy TO. Conquering armies commonly looted and pillaged the conquered areas and soldiers could get rich rather quickly from doing so. But Sympathy TO denies soldiers from gaining a quick income.

Benefits: Might make it harder for the TO army to execute the STO during war time.

Possible Exploits: Not that I can think of.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Big morale loss for using Sympathy Take Over
« Reply #1: December 28, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
The enemy conquers one of your valuable border cities, you end up being able to defeat them and begin to retake control of the city. Your troops should be pissed off about getting back control of these walls to guard the lands from the enemy? They should be pissed off about leaving the city in a condition that makes it able to recruit more forces to help them defend their homeland?

Your suggestion may make some sense if you purely think of conquest, but makes none when you consider liberating regions that were lost. After all, not all men are blood-thirsty savages, either.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2: December 28, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
Is the claims system still around?  If it is perhaps that could be used to determine whether a city is being conquered or liberated?  Just a thought.  I like this idea though.  Right now there isn't really a downside to a friendly takeover compared to a brutal one is there not?
No man is an island, unto himself.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: December 28, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Is the claims system still around?  If it is perhaps that could be used to determine whether a city is being conquered or liberated?  Just a thought.  I like this idea though.  Right now there isn't really a downside to a friendly takeover compared to a brutal one is there not?

There is a downside: you can't do it if the region hates you?

As for claims, I don't think they are there anymore. But they were horrible to begin with, basing anything on them would have been a mistake. The game just can't determine these things.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4: December 28, 2012, 09:56:08 PM »
Chances are the region will still have high sympathy for you though right?  Likely the turnaround will be reasonably quick in the scenario you are describing.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: December 28, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
The whole TO System is still unfinished, so I don't think it's a good idea to add things based on the incomplete system. Once regions can be controlled by both Fear and Sympathy, both options will have their advantages and disadvantages, so I don't see a new need to add changes to it.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: December 28, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
Chances are the region will still have high sympathy for you though right?  Likely the turnaround will be reasonably quick in the scenario you are describing.

Not if it revolted due to starvation.

And many regions love enemy realms they were never a part of.

Sympathy doesn't make for a good indicator either.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: December 28, 2012, 11:19:28 PM »
The whole TO System is still unfinished, so I don't think it's a good idea to add things based on the incomplete system. Once regions can be controlled by both Fear and Sympathy, both options will have their advantages and disadvantages, so I don't see a new need to add changes to it.
I don't agree with what's being proposed but I don't agree with this statement entirely because for instance one thing that is annoying is regardless of how you takeover the region the stats are the same.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:07:24 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8: December 28, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »
Ah.  Thanks for clearing that up.