Author Topic: What religion to join?  (Read 21830 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
What religion to join?
« Topic Start: January 02, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »
I have been thinking about a religion to join. After some research this is my result:

Aristoi Atamarism - does it even has a God?
Darkanism - state religion of Darka
Evgenism - sate religion of Carelia, little content
The Hörgr of Makar - Norse inspired religion
Mapaxilism - does not name their Gods
The Order - does it even has a God?
The Way of the Hammer - Norse inspired religion
The Way of the Warrior Saints - sleeping God / too many saints
The Word - Hab-b,  Guulnyztesantanib,  Gnchha ect. (seriously?)

I do not want to follow a religion who does not venerate Gods. The Norse inspired religion are no option because I do not role-play my character as a Viking, instead a noble with hygiene and a natural feeling of superiority over barbarians. And we have the state-religions, however as I have no connection what so ever to either states, I will not join their religion.

Perhaps I am a little biased or my research not thoroughly, therefore if you can tell me something exciting about these religions, I may be persuaded to join it.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What religion to join?
« Reply #1: January 02, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
Don't join any of them. Instead, found a branch of Quintarianism on Atamara! ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 02, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »
Don't join any of them. Instead, found a branch of Quintarianism on Atamara! ;D

Bleurgh, that page makes me want to puke.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Eirikr

« Reply #3: January 02, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
The Norse inspired religion are no option because I do not role-play my character as a Viking, instead a noble with hygiene and a natural feeling of superiority over barbarians.

I have a character that acts like the standard nobles now, but the family is from the Barony so it's not really the same situation. I just wanted to point out that you don't necessarily have to be a Viking to join the Horgr, but it helps. (This character is still a Viking to some extent, but it only bubbles up every now and then.) A better reason for not joining it (right now, at least) is that it has a severe lack of priests and, as a result, real existence.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 02, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
Just join Darkanism. You know you want to :)
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 02, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
Bleurgh, that page makes me want to puke.

OK, now that was just uncalled for. I'd be the last to claim I have any sort of artistic talent, or that the page is especially well-formatted or well-organized, but it's certainly a far cry from anything that could have warranted that. I don't care if you like the religion itself, or if it's something about the way the page is laid out that you object to, but that kind of comment is just beyond the pale.

I don't often do this, even with you, Dominic, but I'd like an apology.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 02, 2013, 05:03:37 PM »
OK, now that was just uncalled for. I'd be the last to claim I have any sort of artistic talent, or that the page is especially well-formatted or well-organized, but it's certainly a far cry from anything that could have warranted that. I don't care if you like the religion itself, or if it's something about the way the page is laid out that you object to, but that kind of comment is just beyond the pale.

I don't often do this, even with you, Dominic, but I'd like an apology.

I'll give you this: it's not any worse than the vast majority of religion pages. It's even better than most.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 02, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
I have been thinking about a religion to join. After some research this is my result:

Just start the CoI again, should be fun;)
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 02, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
I'll give you this: it's not any worse than the vast majority of religion pages. It's even better than most.

Well, it's a start.

I suppose I was being too optimistic to hope for an actual apology for such a gratuitous, unfounded, and egregious insult from you.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 02, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Well, it's a start.

I suppose I was being too optimistic to hope for an actual apology for such a gratuitous, unfounded, and egregious insult from you.

I'd say the same for 95% of the religion pages. Heck, some of them my own, too.

Alright, it may not be THAT bad. I don't look at many religion pages anymore, I just checked yours in case I had to join it, and found it quite unappealing. But as I said, I find almost all religions very unappealing, including some I am or were part of, and some I was or am an elder of. Just feels to me like religions should be worth more effort than we usually give them.

This also applies to realm pages.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 02, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »
I'd say the same for 95% of the religion pages. Heck, some of them my own, too.

Alright, it may not be THAT bad. I don't look at many religion pages anymore, I just checked yours in case I had to join it, and found it quite unappealing. But as I said, I find almost all religions very unappealing, including some I am or were part of, and some I was or am an elder of. Just feels to me like religions should be worth more effort than we usually give them.

This also applies to realm pages.

It...looks like a Wiki page. I'm not sure what kind of Great Art you're expecting. It's not like it looks like some '90s-era Geocities page or something. Indeed, I find that it takes serious work to make a Mediawiki page actually look bad, and not merely "not that good". Perhaps, O mighty arbiter of all aesthetic goodness, you could shower upon us your matchless wisdom and point to some pages that are good?

And you still haven't apologized. I haven't forgotten that, nor will I.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 02, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
It...looks like a Wiki page. I'm not sure what kind of Great Art you're expecting. It's not like it looks like some '90s-era Geocities page or something. Indeed, I find that it takes serious work to make a Mediawiki page actually look bad, and not merely "not that good". Perhaps, O mighty arbiter of all aesthetic goodness, you could shower upon us your matchless wisdom and point to some pages that are good?

And you still haven't apologized. I haven't forgotten that, nor will I.

I apologize for the wording I used, but I still think it is unappealing. Visual-wise, but also content-wise. To me, at least.

Better pages? Better pages have more text, and more than just text. Torenism's page, for example, despite how I hated these guys. The Blood Cult, which I essentially made myself, I admit (and the only religion page I personally worked on that I consider good). Ain't perfect, though, either. Sanguis Astroism isn't all that bad, but could be better. A handful of others that I remember the layout but not the page. A good wiki page shouldn't just be text, otherwise it feels and looks like notepad. It needs images, tables, charts, diagrams, maps, etc. The more the better. And preferably, it wouldn't be pictures just for the sake of it. They need to relate to the text, they need to complement it by being something that words cannot fully describe on their own.

The same applies to realm pages.

But hey, it's also a matter of personal tastes. Some people feel sick at the thought of joining yet another Norse mythology rip-off, while some players couldn't pray for better. There's just something about your faith that's unappealing to me, in addition to not having much content (all religions start like that) and having a rather plain wiki page (all pages start like that). But that's just a matter of preferences.

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 02, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
I'll stop by to plug The Word (bias alert). It is a multi-realm religion with well-established theology and an interesting history. It's also been growing pretty steadily in terms of noble followers over the last months. Stop by a temple and find out more!
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 02, 2013, 05:46:44 PM »
I apologize for the wording I used,

Thank you. I won't forget that, either. :)

but I still think it is unappealing. Visual-wise, but also content-wise. To me, at least.

That, I don't find offensive. I don't disagree at all that the page needs work. I'm just...really terrible about putting in work on Wiki pages. (And about actually being able to make things that look good all by myself. I did mention that I don't have any artistic talent, and that includes design/layout.)

I do plan to put more stuff there, and if there's some information that warrants a table, I'll put in a table. If someone makes some images that are relevant and don't look like they were drawn by, well, me, I'll try to find a sensible way to work them in. Right now, though, what you see is what we got. (Aside from the stuff that's still waiting in our heads to be properly organized and written down....)
Timothy Collett

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14: January 02, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
I'll stop by to plug The Word (bias alert). It is a multi-realm religion with well-established theology and an interesting history. It's also been growing pretty steadily in terms of noble followers over the last months. Stop by a temple and find out more!

Thank you for the first relevant answer. However it is not like I can make a small detour to one of your temples.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar