Author Topic: What religion to join?  (Read 21828 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Re: What religion to join?
« Reply #15: January 02, 2013, 10:50:35 PM »
If it helps, the Church of Sartan will be arriving in Atamara in approximately one to two weeks.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 02, 2013, 11:15:08 PM »
I have been thinking about a religion to join. After some research this is my result:

Evgenism - state religion of Carelia, little content

Evgenism, no official support, nor is a lot of Carelia a part of the religion. Also, you clarify it as state religion but it is in progress on changing that, which you could be a part of if you joined. All active members will receive power in the religion and currently the most talkative of the week gets 25 gold. We have temples in CE, Caergoth, and obviously Carelia so don't think you must travel to Carelia to join.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 03, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »
If it helps, the Church of Sartan will be arriving in Atamara in approximately one to two weeks.

It is? Not through official support by the Elders then at least...
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

bluexmas

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 03, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
Thank you for the first relevant answer. However it is not like I can make a small detour to one of your temples.

Then come and make a pilgrimage to one of them! I'm not sure what else to say. There are temples as far South as Strombran and also temples in the east as well as in Talerium and CE.
The Finsternis family welcomes you.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 03, 2013, 07:16:07 AM »
I don't know about the other Norse religions, but you don't have to play your character as a Viking to be a member of The Way of the Hammer. My character on Atamara (who's been in Eston, Coria, Caergoth, and Suville) has never been played as a Viking but still follows the Hammer. He also thinks that the Vikings of Maker are sub-human filth. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone I've seen writing within the Hammer channel who plays a blood and guts, flea-infested, Viking barbarian.

In terms of Gods to worship, there's a considerable amount of potential there because you have an extensive pantheon of gods to choose from if you're looking for a patron god, or worship them all, or the all-father Odin. There's a ton of RP potential there.

The downside is that it's suffering from a major shortage of priests, which very nearly led to its collapse. It could also use stronger RP within it to make it more substantial.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 03, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »
I have a character that acts like the standard nobles now, but the family is from the Barony so it's not really the same situation. I just wanted to point out that you don't necessarily have to be a Viking to join the Horgr, but it helps. (This character is still a Viking to some extent, but it only bubbles up every now and then.) A better reason for not joining it (right now, at least) is that it has a severe lack of priests and, as a result, real existence.

And you don't have to be a drunkard to be a Viking, but it helps.  ;D

I'll give a plug for The WORD as well. And if you make fun of our silly names IC, we'll declare you a heathen blasphemer and go after you.  >:(
------
qui audet vincit

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 03, 2013, 09:44:58 AM »
The Order believes that order in and of itself is like a god. Preserving order throughout the land and opposing forces of chaos (antithesis of order) is their purpose. They believe that there are evil "gods" which they oppose such as the chaos manifestation of Magna Serpanism's diety.

So, it is not like a conventional religion but it is also very large and has a very stable power base. While it hosts no official theocracies it has a long tradition of power and strength within the CE alliance and her allies, which has granted it much growth and strength.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 03, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »
It is? Not through official support by the Elders then at least...

As it happens it will be a current elder of the Church who will bring it to Atamara - she's decided it's going to be her retirement project ;)

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 03, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
In that Case Selene is acting on her own without any official support from the church hehe. Rogue church, should be fun.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 03, 2013, 01:55:47 PM »
Well she'll probably ask permission before she goes. Or, given that she's still technically the High Priest until the new one is elected, she could always give herself permission :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 03, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
I predict the the faith on BT will last long enough to announce that it exists before Selene goes ballistic, insults someone, and gets wiped out.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 03, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
I predict the the faith on BT will last long enough to announce that it exists before Selene goes ballistic, insults someone, and gets wiped out.

Eh? She's not going to BT. She's going to Atamara. Hence why this is being discussed on the Atamara board :p

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 03, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »
Same result, different abbreviation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #28: January 03, 2013, 04:43:55 PM »
That certainly helps.

Then come and make a pilgrimage to one of them! I'm not sure what else to say. There are temples as far South as Strombran and also temples in the east as well as in Talerium and CE.
At the moment that won't be possible. Lucius is a noble of Minas Leon, and the marshal in its war against Minas Ithil.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Zadar

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: January 06, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Religions and particularly those who have some power in multiple realm could give a lot to Atamara. Currently Atamara is divided in couple of factions but religions could make a bit of mess. Sad part is that the game has maked priest class quite useless.,temple effects are way too small etc.
 As we don't have any political parties one way to make a bit more mess is to use religions as they were  main agressors in our own history in the past.

So any new religion which is arriving to Atamara is wellcomed but until game mechanics allow us to do a bit more it won't matter much.
A plan without a goal, is just a wish .