Author Topic: Church of Sartan electing a new leader  (Read 21353 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Church of Sartan electing a new leader
« Topic Start: January 04, 2013, 09:37:20 PM »
Well, tomorrow the voting for the last member of the Synod will end and the Church of Sartan's body representing all levels of the church will meet to select a new High Priest.

So just thought I'd post this topic here so that people can discuss the election if they want to :)

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Church of Sartan electing a new leader
« Reply #1: January 04, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »
Interesting how many lay people seemed keen to be elected to the electoral Synod. I mean, the position is trivially minor really; one vote for the high priest, carrying no real responsibilities. But a position is a position I suppose.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 04, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
Plus it's actually something happening within the Church for a change.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 05, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
For those that are former members, or perhaps outsiders, could you explain what the Synod is, how many positions are being elected, and who gets to vote?
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 05, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
Letter from Selene Octavius   (4 days, 22 hours ago)
Message sent to everyone in "The Church of Sartan" (43 recipients)

Fellow Sartanians,

I hereby announce how the next High Priest and Head of the Church of Sartan will be selected:

The High Priest is chosen by the Synod - a body created only a few years ago and very different from the old system of the elders deciding the next High Priest between them.

The Synod is composed of the following:

All elders of the Church of Sartan.
All lay-Cardinals.
One representative elected by the Inquisitors.
One representative elected by lay members of the Church - defined as those who do not fall into the above categories.

Prior to the start of the selection of the High Priest I will be adjusting the ranks of some people within the Church to reflect appointments that were interrupted by my imprisonment - for example the restoration of Sister Belruel to her rank of Inquisitor.

The voice of each member of the Synod is equal.

The High Priest must themself be a priest and therefore only a priest is eligible to be selected as the High Priest.

The selection will take place by each member of the Synod calling out the first name of the one they wish to be the next High Priest.  If a single name is called out by all members of the Synod then that person will be the next High Priest. If there is no complete agreement amongst the Synod then instead they shall discuss the matter for no more than two days or until they are all agreed to proceed - whichever comes first. The Synod will then again take turns to each call out a name. If two thirds or more of the Synod agree on a name then that person will be duly recognised as the next High Priest. If less than two thirds agree then the Synod will again return to the discussion stage before returning to vote again and this process shall be repeated for as long as it takes for Sartan to guide them to a final decision.

Tomorrow I will announce the members of each category within the Church and begin the elections for the representative of the Inquisition and the representative of the lay members of the Church.

May Sartan bless and keep you,
Selene Octavius
High Tribune of Sorraine
Dame of Anaos
Priestess of The Church of Sartan
High Priest of The Church of Sartan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 05, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
Basically, the Synod is the body which elects the High Priest and which also makes theological rulings.

The Synod consists of all the elders and every member of the church with the rank of lay-Cardinal. It also has one member who is elected by the Inquisitors as their representative. And finally there is one last member of the Synod who is elected by all full members of the Church who don't fall into one of the groups I've already mentioned.

Everyone on the Synod has one vote and they elect the High Priest of the Church with any candidate needing a two third majority in the Synod to be elected. They keep on voting until someone gets a two thirds majority.

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 05, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
Synod is still a small group though and it'll be tricky:
4 elders (without Selene)
2 Lay-Cardinals
2 representatives

Of these 8 there are 2 Cyrith and 2 Quintus Ennius. Curious how things will turn out.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 05, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
Yeah, you really want 9 voting members, or it's harder to get a 2/3rds majority.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8: January 05, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
Everyone on the Synod has one vote and they elect the High Priest of the Church with any candidate needing a two third majority in the Synod to be elected. They keep on voting until someone gets a two thirds majority.
Meaning that you require at least 6 votes. That can be a very long election.  ;D
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 05, 2013, 07:44:58 PM »
So, is this a process similar to the election of a new Pope by the Catholic Church?

It is interesting to see the thought you guys put into it though. Is this the first time the Synod has met to select a High Priest?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 05, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
I got the impression this is something Selene cooked up on her own, for some reason.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 05, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »
So, is this a process similar to the election of a new Pope by the Catholic Church?

It is interesting to see the thought you guys put into it though. Is this the first time the Synod has met to select a High Priest?

It's modelled on papal conclave yes.

The Synod was an idea Selene proposed and got implemented a while back and it was agreed it would select the High Priest. Nobody actually came up with how the Synod would do that though so Selene sat down and decided on a process and announced it at the same time as her resignation - basically the election system was one of her last acts as High Priest.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 05, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »
The election for lay representative on the Synod is now over and I can announce that Bishop Sparticus has won with a grand total of three votes compared to the two votes for the runner-up, Bishop Lendin. I can also report that eight votes were cast in total.

Therefore, I am pleased to announce that the members of the Synod are as follows:

Acting High Priest Azgath
Archbishop Jatha
Cardinal Martin
Cardinal Aeneas
Lay-Cardinal Arianne
Lay-Cardinal Roberd
Bishop Sparticus
Inquisitor William

The candidates eligible to become High Priest are as follows:

Archbishop Jatha
Cardinal Aeneas
Cardinal Martin
Lay-Cardinal Roberd

The selection of the High Priest will commence tomorrow.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 05, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
I got the impression this is something Selene cooked up on her own, for some reason.

The reason is actually quite simple. IC Selene wanted the Church to have a more unified and organised structure than before with the involvement of more of the faithful so she came up with electing the High Priest.

OOC I just wanted the Church to be a bit more interesting.

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 05, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »
Good work for someone who's (probably) losing the leadership; it definitely seems to have worked.