Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 142600 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #435: June 09, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
Was speaking about both of them, actually. Besides, the regular player barely ever visits the wiki or the forum, there's usually the need of someone (usually a big name) to point them out that there's a wiki page for the realm they've just arrived to. But hey, people don't care about reading or updating the bulletins, why would they care about the wiki? However, I am definitely not refuting your points. We all know about apathy, yes we do.

Yea, the wiki kind of died with the arrival of the forum, to be honest. 2013 saw the end of most of the remaining lingering activity there.

It was really rather underwhelming to learn about the metamorphosis many realms went through in my absence, so many things spawned out of nowhere, while so much establish culture abandoned not through epic mutations, but passive apathy and forgetfulness. One of the things I had loved about BM was the epic stories it would create, and I haven't really seen many of those in quite a while.

Republic vs. Monarchy had spilled a ton of ink in Republic of Fwuvoghor and D'Hara, back in the days, for example. In RoF both sides were bitter and hateful rivals, but that tolerated each other for a certain time, with numerous coups and rebellions involved, opposing religions, backing from opposing nations, etc, while D'Hara had a much more consensual conflict with a much greater sense of unity, which tended to combine much of both more than oppose them, both rather starkly different than the silent revolutions of Madina and D'Hara which, from what I heard, was basically just the ruler giving himself the title out of nowhere and nobody really opposing it.

The fluff that used to make realms unique was largely abandoned, and now most realms seem bland and interchangeable. Not sure if people grew up and became more pragmatic and calculating or what, but in my opinion it was the irrational things that made for the most compelling stories. Do we still see today things like the Bloodmoon Fruit scandals, public ritual human sacrifices, imperialistic wars to impose government types on other realms, supra-national quasi-goverments, character weddings between foreign royals, realm constitutions, royal bloodlines, etc.? I've not really seen any. Maybe a few old-timers clinging to old marriages, but that's about it. Almost sparked such an event when I made a fuss about the adventurer who had the Wicked Vest of Jonsu, but that eventually (unsurprisingly) just fizzled into nothing.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron