Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 142742 times)

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #45: January 10, 2013, 08:06:39 PM »
D'hara has a culture, though its not rife with less important things (You're wearing white after the second to last friday after the harvest but before the full moon? Scandalous!)

D'harans are very fond of politicking, and have wonderfully embraced the republican form of government. A good deal of this goes on in the background. However, for all the love of republicanism, there is a group in the realm that maintains status quo, and you either go with what they say or you get out.

Militarily, D'harans are miserable. They are much more comfortable sitting at home and trading, counting their gold, or starving to death, as the seasons progress. However, when they do march, they take ANY victory they can get and run with it, and the shouts of triumph can be heard from all over. It doesn't matter if their army attacked a single noble, or a pair, and beat them up, it is a major victory.

Dukes are very territorial, and jealously lord over their domains, and the mere thought of one of their regions changing to another Duchy is unbearable.

Well put! Thanks!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: January 10, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
This is the stupidest argument. LN hasn't mounted a serious campaign into D'Hara in months. Partly because it really sucks to lose half your CS to starvation, partly because nobody likes Bipel, while the opinion on D'Hara is more nuanced, and partly because it's serious about honoring the proposal that Morek and Iashalur lobbied for. It is possible to roflstomp the Sallowcape. It'll just be expensive, messy, and a proposition without value, like conquering Russia after the Russians have turned hundreds of miles into a charred wasteland. Props to D'Hara for clever diplomatic maneuvering early on. Props to LN for heading it off. Are we done propagandizing now?

Luria Nova and Solaria launched a sneak attack against D'Hara, in our moment of greatest weakness. And we held them back!

You'll just have to accept that we don't care why you failed. We are very jealous of our lands, and this is just another trophy to add to our walls to allow us to gloat about how we crushed every single attempt to steal our lands. Despite all of the squatters and foreign realms taking chunks of our lands, we remain intact. Despite all of the people envious of our isles, the only thing that ever manages to dent us is starvation, and we recover every time. And if York's starvation is of any revelation, seems like the starvation code was dramatically softened. Many people may die, but starvation will appear to no longer cause quasi instant revolt.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: January 11, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »
Luria Nova and Solaria launched a sneak attack against D'Hara, in our moment of greatest weakness. And we held them back!

You'll just have to accept that we don't care why you failed. We are very jealous of our lands, and this is just another trophy to add to our walls to allow us to gloat about how we crushed every single attempt to steal our lands. Despite all of the squatters and foreign realms taking chunks of our lands, we remain intact. Despite all of the people envious of our isles, the only thing that ever manages to dent us is starvation, and we recover every time. And if York's starvation is of any revelation, seems like the starvation code was dramatically softened. Many people may die, but starvation will appear to no longer cause quasi instant revolt.

A. Man, that is some amazing world you live in.

B. I am warming up to a certain few D'Harans, but it's due to their religious letters not political.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 11, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »
A. Man, that is some amazing world you live in.

Totally is!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 11, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »
Nope. They never made it passed Sallowwild. Remember when they Conga-lined into our waiting ranks? Even Rurik was there, sword ready to repel the invaders. And Jonsu, some crazy how, was captured as I recall.

Good times.  8)

Not Somehow... Kendal ordered the Priestess imprisoned and it affected the regions as well. He saw her as a Priestess in his lands without his permission.
Forbes Family

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 11, 2013, 03:20:26 AM »

Are you constitutionally incapable of NOT turning any post into a hagiography of one of your characters or the realms they're in? Does it interfere with your ability to survey the political landscape as it is, rather than you imagine it to be? While Machiavel has been pursuing some Rube Goldberg plan to safeguard D'Hara against further Lurian treachery (irony), Luria's long since written off war with D'Hara, despite having a Morek-Iashalur-LN brokered peace plan on the table for literally months. The only intrigue is in the minds of a few self-deluded D'Harans (and Bipel, who I'm happy to call a liar, IC and OOC, any day).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:22:03 AM by Solari »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: January 11, 2013, 03:39:53 AM »
Are you constitutionally incapable of NOT turning any post into a hagiography of one of your characters or the realms they're in? Does it interfere with your ability to survey the political landscape as it is, rather than you imagine it to be? While Machiavel has been pursuing some Rube Goldberg plan to safeguard D'Hara against further Lurian treachery (irony), Luria's long since written off war with D'Hara, despite having a Morek-Iashalur-LN brokered peace plan on the table for literally months. The only intrigue is in the minds of a few self-deluded D'Harans (and Bipel, who I'm happy to call a liar, IC and OOC, any day).
Instead of insulting him argue against it. We were at our weakest and repelled you. If you read this thread it's said that we don't care how much of it was our work we take a victory and go with it. For more details read stabbity's post.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 11, 2013, 03:54:49 AM »
Instead of insulting him argue against it. We were at our weakest and repelled you. If you read this thread it's said that we don't care how much of it was our work we take a victory and go with it. For more details read stabbity's post.

That wasn't (intended as, at least) an insult. Dominic's been insulted before. I trust him to know the difference. People have tried arguing the opposite. It doesn't usually take, because some people that play in D'Hara have this incredible capacity for spinning explanations which never fail to flatter, and are usually lacking any context. It's a regular occurrence IC and OOC. IC, fine, okay. Hooray for propaganda. Luria's steeped in it. OOC? Come on. A lot of players enjoy being able to discuss the game and its events in their full context, dispassionately and without spin. That's harder than usual when it involves D'Hara, IMHO.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: January 11, 2013, 05:59:21 AM »
That wasn't (intended as, at least) an insult. Dominic's been insulted before. I trust him to know the difference. People have tried arguing the opposite. It doesn't usually take, because some people that play in D'Hara have this incredible capacity for spinning explanations which never fail to flatter, and are usually lacking any context. It's a regular occurrence IC and OOC. IC, fine, okay. Hooray for propaganda. Luria's steeped in it. OOC? Come on. A lot of players enjoy being able to discuss the game and its events in their full context, dispassionately and without spin. That's harder than usual when it involves D'Hara, IMHO.
Perhaps but there is little propaganda or at least little lies in what he has said, its just not a full explanation. Are you trying to say D'hara did not repel Luria Nova when we were in our weakest state? You want to whine about it and say that it was because of starvation and whatever other crap but that doesn't change what I said other than that its maybe less of an achievement slightly. I kinda find the beginning of what you said hard not to be intended as insult but its irrelevant when I said argue it because I meant it. What did he say in that post that was not true? You said we twist explanations I would say he stated the achievement without an explanation.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: January 11, 2013, 07:17:08 AM »
A lot of players enjoy being able to discuss the game and its events in their full context, dispassionately and without spin. That's harder than usual when it involves D'Hara, IMHO.

I don't really get why this seems to be an issue.  ???

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: January 11, 2013, 12:35:07 PM »
I'm not trying to argue how it really is and should be viewed from a neutral point of view, I'm just stating D'Hara's point of view and stating that nothing will change it.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: January 11, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »
I'm not trying to argue how it really is and should be viewed from a neutral point of view, I'm just stating D'Hara's point of view and stating that nothing will change it.

So, what you are doing is nothing more than beating a dead horse that everyone already knows about. Thanks?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: January 11, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
So, what you are doing is nothing more than beating a dead horse that everyone already knows about. Thanks?

I don't argue with people, people argue with me. :P

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 11, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
I don't argue with people, people argue with me. :P

It didn't look like much arguing.

This right here is something I associate with Dhara, people spewing forth irrelevant stuff and trying to magically turning it into the most important stuff in the world. I don't get it.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 11, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »
GOD HIMSELF IS D'HARAN.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner