Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 142474 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #450: September 04, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
And... yet another region.

I don't see the point of expanding East at all. Most of those regions offer nothing in terms of gold and food. Some may be food baskets deemed essential to feeding the ports, but the distance probably makes them hard to keep. In the days, the Desert would make less, in total, than a knight would get in just about any other region of the realm. Becoming lord of that region was essentially a demotion.

There was a strategic interest back then, though, but it was to keep Luria in check. It allowed to see Lurian armies should they come, far before they'd actually arrive in Sallowtown, and forced an additional region to take should they wish to do takeovers.

But is the Lurian menace still present? I don't think so. Luria isn't the vast empire it used to be, and I don't think they still aim to conquer D'Hara. At least, they wouldn't if D'Hara didn't keep expanding towards them, I could easily see that being seen as provocation.

The greater enemy is out West, and it's the hordes. A fortified city out West protects the realm much better than some badlands out East.

Side note on militia: it's mostly a waste of resources. A strong mobile army is the best defense against the rogues, militia is too costly and too ineffective.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron