Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 140680 times)

Ridder

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #435: October 24, 2016, 02:34:45 AM »
Yeah, I've only created an adventurer on the East Continent so far. Still yet to make a noble character though.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #436: October 25, 2016, 02:02:35 PM »
I can't really find the hype I once had, but I guess finding familiar faces would be appealing.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #437: October 25, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
I kind of deleted Machiavel without any IC rp to accompany it. I don't suppose others made something up to explain his disappearance?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #438: June 05, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
So who exactly are these 'New" D'haran's? When did the Dragon King become a thing again and how? I feel as though I've missed so much
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #439: June 06, 2017, 02:02:12 AM »
So who exactly are these 'New" D'haran's? When did the Dragon King become a thing again and how? I feel as though I've missed so much

When Atamara was sunk, many from the Cagilan Empire emigrated there. Not sure about the Dragon King thing.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #440: June 08, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »
People just forgot about its origins, and recycled the names and themes, I suspect. I doubt it has much to do with the original monarchy vs republic debacles, and I also doubt they had any form of coronation, or that any of them have any solid idea of the predecessors.

When I quit the game, it was namely because I was trying to push the monarchy forward with non-mechanical importance and develop it further, precisely become people had already begun to forget about the whole thing. I wanted to codify the monarchic rules and powers and was opposed by people seeing the move as a power grab.

I suspect it's as with Madina, the continent's republic spawner, that is now a monarchy. A very few greedy people presiding over masses of indifferent people with little regards to culture. Someone went "I want to be king", and people just went "meh, okay".

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #441: June 08, 2017, 09:00:59 PM »
It's to be expected. If all the big names suddenly disappear in a relatively short amount of time and the new players are not told of the history and traditions of the realm, how the hell are they supposed to care to find out by themselves?
D'Espana Family

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #442: June 09, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
There's a wiki? Plus, there are still some names I recognize. Not sure if you meant D'Hara or Madina though. In D'Hara people had started to not care before I left, despite a lot of work on my part to keep these peculiar cultural traits alive. Which was a main factor in why I left; and why I didn't go back there when I rejoined.

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #443: June 09, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
Was speaking about both of them, actually. Besides, the regular player barely ever visits the wiki or the forum, there's usually the need of someone (usually a big name) to point them out that there's a wiki page for the realm they've just arrived to. But hey, people don't care about reading or updating the bulletins, why would they care about the wiki? However, I am definitely not refuting your points. We all know about apathy, yes we do.
D'Espana Family

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #444: June 09, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
Was speaking about both of them, actually. Besides, the regular player barely ever visits the wiki or the forum, there's usually the need of someone (usually a big name) to point them out that there's a wiki page for the realm they've just arrived to. But hey, people don't care about reading or updating the bulletins, why would they care about the wiki? However, I am definitely not refuting your points. We all know about apathy, yes we do.

Yea, the wiki kind of died with the arrival of the forum, to be honest. 2013 saw the end of most of the remaining lingering activity there.

It was really rather underwhelming to learn about the metamorphosis many realms went through in my absence, so many things spawned out of nowhere, while so much establish culture abandoned not through epic mutations, but passive apathy and forgetfulness. One of the things I had loved about BM was the epic stories it would create, and I haven't really seen many of those in quite a while.

Republic vs. Monarchy had spilled a ton of ink in Republic of Fwuvoghor and D'Hara, back in the days, for example. In RoF both sides were bitter and hateful rivals, but that tolerated each other for a certain time, with numerous coups and rebellions involved, opposing religions, backing from opposing nations, etc, while D'Hara had a much more consensual conflict with a much greater sense of unity, which tended to combine much of both more than oppose them, both rather starkly different than the silent revolutions of Madina and D'Hara which, from what I heard, was basically just the ruler giving himself the title out of nowhere and nobody really opposing it.

The fluff that used to make realms unique was largely abandoned, and now most realms seem bland and interchangeable. Not sure if people grew up and became more pragmatic and calculating or what, but in my opinion it was the irrational things that made for the most compelling stories. Do we still see today things like the Bloodmoon Fruit scandals, public ritual human sacrifices, imperialistic wars to impose government types on other realms, supra-national quasi-goverments, character weddings between foreign royals, realm constitutions, royal bloodlines, etc.? I've not really seen any. Maybe a few old-timers clinging to old marriages, but that's about it. Almost sparked such an event when I made a fuss about the adventurer who had the Wicked Vest of Jonsu, but that eventually (unsurprisingly) just fizzled into nothing.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #445: June 09, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
RoF was Ireland and D'Hara was Canada?

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #446: June 09, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Does that mean I'm an 'Old Timer' now?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

D'Espana

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #447: June 11, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »
It was really rather underwhelming to learn about the metamorphosis many realms went through in my absence, so many things spawned out of nowhere, while so much establish culture abandoned not through epic mutations, but passive apathy and forgetfulness. One of the things I had loved about BM was the epic stories it would create, and I haven't really seen many of those in quite a while.

Couldn't have typed that better myself.

Bloodmoon Fruit scandals

Now that was fun stuff  ;D
RoF was Ireland and D'Hara was Canada?

Don't know much about either of them to really relate, sorry.

Definitely not a Chenierian dinosaur, but I'd say you qualify pretty well for the 'Old Timer' title  ;)

D'Espana Family

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #448: June 11, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
I agree with Chenier, the caliber of RP and Lore has fallen apart but I think some of it comes down to the fact that we used to be young when we started playing this almost a decade ago or more. Im 40 with 2 kids now and I barely have time to bang out a paragraph roleplay and usually now reserve them for special events and speeches etc. I used to spend a lot of time thinking of little details to inflict on the world of Dwilight and about my characters or local cultures or aspects of the uncivilized world I remember before the established kingdoms etc, trouble causing things that defined my imperfect character.

I still see RP and things but its a bit less than before, the thing I notice now is that there are fewer larger than life characters left, or perhaps I dont interact with them as much as I used to or they are all gone.

Glaumring is now 98 years old, even his roleplay has aged with him.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #449: June 12, 2017, 01:39:34 AM »

I would say so, yes. I may have been an old timer before you even joined, but even that has been quite some time ago now.  ;D

I figure somewhere between 2-4 years is plenty to be called an "old timer". Don't need to have joined back in 2006 like I did. ;)