Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 140789 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #450: June 12, 2017, 01:52:50 AM »
I agree with Chenier, the caliber of RP and Lore has fallen apart but I think some of it comes down to the fact that we used to be young when we started playing this almost a decade ago or more. Im 40 with 2 kids now and I barely have time to bang out a paragraph roleplay and usually now reserve them for special events and speeches etc. I used to spend a lot of time thinking of little details to inflict on the world of Dwilight and about my characters or local cultures or aspects of the uncivilized world I remember before the established kingdoms etc, trouble causing things that defined my imperfect character.

I still see RP and things but its a bit less than before, the thing I notice now is that there are fewer larger than life characters left, or perhaps I dont interact with them as much as I used to or they are all gone.

Glaumring is now 98 years old, even his roleplay has aged with him.

There's definitely a much lower investment in regards to time and effort being placed. I was in high school when I joined, and now I'm expecting my third child and running my own business. You've got kids too, and I suspect a lot of us do.

But it's more than just that, the culture has shifted. When I quit, I wasn't just annoyed that people weren't going along with my schemes anymore, but that opposing them was the *only* thing they bothered to do. I'd have been quite content to see a counter-movement growing to bring things in an opposite direction of what I was pushing for, but instead people would just return to their slumber as soon as I stopped. It burnt me out. While a few years earlier, I had managed to recruit a bunch of people to start ritualized human sacrifices, and before that I had tagged along with others' non-conventional plans. Worth mentioning the Bloodmoon fruit again, a bunch of people started promoting the spiritual use of a fully made-up psychotrope, and then a bunch of us started our own "war on drugs" around it, drafting laws to create a monopoly on its production, roleplays about developing non-psychotropic varieties, etc. These aren't things that require a lot of people to invest a lot of time to get going, they just require enough people to care and then merely vocalize their care, even if it's a one-line letter. Guys like us, we used to write pages of RPs about this stuff we were really passionate about, but this kind of stories would still be possible without as much investment as we put in back then.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451: September 03, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
Well I'm back in D'Hara again (although with a very different character). Let's see if there's life in the old realm yet :)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #452: September 03, 2017, 05:22:42 PM »
I really question their decision to go back for the Desert and Girich... With 19 nobles for 10 regions, they've now returned under the 2:1 ratio, which is likely to paint them back as a target for the next round of Monster Mash. Those regions are pretty worthless, too. Had they taken Paisly instead, they'd have over 2:1, and they could have used this peace time to build up fortifications to better protect the ports from any future onslaught. Same point applies to Sallowwild, though I don't remember if D'Hara actually lost that one.

Seems to me, looking at D'Hara, Arnor, Avernus, etc., a lot of people didn't take a cue from the last onslaught. Density matters, and it's gonna bit people back in the ass soon enough.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453: September 03, 2017, 05:34:11 PM »
I really question their decision to go back for the Desert and Girich... With 19 nobles for 10 regions, they've now returned under the 2:1 ratio, which is likely to paint them back as a target for the next round of Monster Mash. Those regions are pretty worthless, too. Had they taken Paisly instead, they'd have over 2:1, and they could have used this peace time to build up fortifications to better protect the ports from any future onslaught. Same point applies to Sallowwild, though I don't remember if D'Hara actually lost that one.

Seems to me, looking at D'Hara, Arnor, Avernus, etc., a lot of people didn't take a cue from the last onslaught. Density matters, and it's gonna bit people back in the ass soon enough.

It really doesn't make much sense, as you say, Paisly would be a far more sensible choice. However, I imagine the logic was as follows:

• We already have Sallowtown
    Expanding to the west would distract us from defending Sallowtown and its hinterland
    Since our troops are already busy defending the Sallow hinterland, why not expand it?

Still, maybe they'll get lucky and recruit some more nobles before the next round of monster armageddon arrives.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #454: September 04, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »

I agree with Chenier post above.

The density will see us all under rogue attacks again soon enough. I have been trying to attract nobles to Morek, in order to avoid Morek being painted as target due to character density. However there have been some undesirable or desirable characters(depending on which perspective you looking at) attracted as well.

Getting back to D'Hara. I can understand they can look towards retaking the east. It looks like the only way to expand. But overstretching the lands and in essence your defense where your army cannot move fast enough to tackle the rogue, may present a dilemma. Should you beef up the militia in these lands far away from your army reach? Build up defense(wall, militia) and do not expand over the sake of your ability to defend. Take example of Morek. We lost Nimh and we did not retake the region until we fully recruited the army and rebuild militia in Aegir Deep and Muspel. We even lost Mark to rogue at one point, very hard to spell that region first name. We took our own sweet time to retake it back. We even drop militia in Mark but apparently rogue crazy force is crazy indeed to overwhelm them. So the militia defense purpose is only to thin down rogue force, not for defend the land.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #455: September 04, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
And... yet another region.

I don't see the point of expanding East at all. Most of those regions offer nothing in terms of gold and food. Some may be food baskets deemed essential to feeding the ports, but the distance probably makes them hard to keep. In the days, the Desert would make less, in total, than a knight would get in just about any other region of the realm. Becoming lord of that region was essentially a demotion.

There was a strategic interest back then, though, but it was to keep Luria in check. It allowed to see Lurian armies should they come, far before they'd actually arrive in Sallowtown, and forced an additional region to take should they wish to do takeovers.

But is the Lurian menace still present? I don't think so. Luria isn't the vast empire it used to be, and I don't think they still aim to conquer D'Hara. At least, they wouldn't if D'Hara didn't keep expanding towards them, I could easily see that being seen as provocation.

The greater enemy is out West, and it's the hordes. A fortified city out West protects the realm much better than some badlands out East.

Side note on militia: it's mostly a waste of resources. A strong mobile army is the best defense against the rogues, militia is too costly and too ineffective.

Zakky

« Reply #456: September 04, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
I heard Luria is  super quiet and pretty much dead. I highly doubt a realm like that can become active anytime soon.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #457: September 05, 2017, 01:21:16 AM »
I heard Luria is  super quiet and pretty much dead. I highly doubt a realm like that can become active anytime soon.

They had a resurgence, they've been worse off than this, but I don't think that there's really anyone in either D'Hara or Luria that cares to keep the old feud going. I could be wrong, I guess. It's still not what it used to be though.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #458: September 05, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
I'm in Luria.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #459: September 06, 2017, 12:46:27 AM »

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #460: September 20, 2017, 09:14:00 PM »
So, what's the scoop?

I'm leaving Luria, lol.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #461: September 22, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
So... what *was* the scoop?

All those people who had joined Luria a while back... y'all should just take power (if you don't already have it) and invade Fissoa. No point in waiting idly for the realm to collapse, at least y'all could go down with a bang. ;)

And finally bring some action down South.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #462: September 26, 2017, 01:53:51 AM »
There's definitely a much lower investment in regards to time and effort being placed. I was in high school when I joined, and now I'm expecting my third child and running my own business. You've got kids too, and I suspect a lot of us do.

But it's more than just that, the culture has shifted. When I quit, I wasn't just annoyed that people weren't going along with my schemes anymore, but that opposing them was the *only* thing they bothered to do. I'd have been quite content to see a counter-movement growing to bring things in an opposite direction of what I was pushing for, but instead people would just return to their slumber as soon as I stopped. It burnt me out. While a few years earlier, I had managed to recruit a bunch of people to start ritualized human sacrifices, and before that I had tagged along with others' non-conventional plans. Worth mentioning the Bloodmoon fruit again, a bunch of people started promoting the spiritual use of a fully made-up psychotrope, and then a bunch of us started our own "war on drugs" around it, drafting laws to create a monopoly on its production, roleplays about developing non-psychotropic varieties, etc. These aren't things that require a lot of people to invest a lot of time to get going, they just require enough people to care and then merely vocalize their care, even if it's a one-line letter. Guys like us, we used to write pages of RPs about this stuff we were really passionate about, but this kind of stories would still be possible without as much investment as we put in back then.

I loved the anti-drug 'war on drugs' roleplay, It really helped to bring together different cultures in Dwilight and it helps to have opposition in RP, drama and skullduggery. That being said, I have 2 kids now, I work 10 hour days and I balance and juggle my time on BM checking up and moving my troops and perhaps a snippet of RP here and there but to be serious...Time has abandoned me, the days just fly by busy. I started playing BM in my late 20's... I am 40 now. I still love this game, that is rare, I have been a gamer since the 90's and I rarely play any of those games, BM is beautiful and deserves better, its a fantastic game that foretold Game of Thrones before that was even popular, the stories this game has wove could create epic movies, the characters as rich as any ancient epic. I really enjoy the battles and fights we have all had these years.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #463: September 29, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
Decided to immortalize it on the wiki, and add a bit of content: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Bloodmoon