Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 140653 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #15: January 05, 2013, 06:21:12 PM »

The man who said this has never met Julius.  ;)
I am quite sure he has but anyways its a Barcans in general, and in general Barcans are extremely quiet.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16: January 05, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
It is true that Barca can be a quite place sometimes, because sometimes there is little going on. When there are no lords defecting, the Senate has nothing to quibble about.  ???
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17: January 05, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »
But back to D'hara, how many D'Harans does it take to change a light bulb?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 05, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
But back to D'hara, how many D'Harans does it take to change a light bulb?

Three.  One to sail to the mainland to hire someone to do it, one to complain about how much the food to feed the guy will cost, and one to secretly sail to the mainland to get hired to change it.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 05, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »
No, it's a trick question. They spend so much money buying food they don't have enough money to buy a new bulb, let alone pay the electric bill. They'll never even notice it burned out.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 05, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »
No, it's a trick question. They spend so much money buying food they don't have enough money to buy a new bulb, let alone pay the electric bill. They'll never even notice it burned out.
At least that's what we want you to think anyways.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 06, 2013, 02:17:19 AM »

Unless its a Chénier, in which case the world revolves around him.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 06, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »
Unless its a Chénier, in which case the world revolves around him.

I need my bulb to write my letters through the night! I pay in corpses of starved lurian immigrants!  ;D
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23: January 06, 2013, 05:11:35 AM »
Loving your answers.  ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 06, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »
Loving your answers.  ;D

Everybody needs a kidney, every now and then. ;)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #25: January 08, 2013, 05:55:39 AM »
Three.  One to sail to the mainland to hire someone to do it, one to complain about how much the food to feed the guy will cost, and one to secretly sail to the mainland to get hired to change it.

^^^ I'll see if we can't get this added to D'Hara's wiki  ;D
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 08, 2013, 06:23:13 AM »
^^^ I'll see if we can't get this added to D'Hara's wiki  ;D
Definitely! Good to see you finally made a forum account. So I tried to cheat from doing real thinking for the council but I can't really use any of these answers to the council for obvious reasons.
― G.K. Chesterton

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #27: January 08, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
I suppose part of the problem is that we have cultural powerhouses like Aurvandil and Luria to compare to. They both have cultural identities that the players RP their characters through naturally. D'Hara does not really have that, from what I've seen and heard, and some opinions about D'Hara have become as outdated as the wiki page.

I'd hoped this thread might shine some light on the subject. If it doesn't we'll just have to figure something else out IC.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 08, 2013, 06:09:21 PM »
I suppose part of the problem is that we have cultural powerhouses like Aurvandil and Luria to compare to. They both have cultural identities that the players RP their characters through naturally. D'Hara does not really have that, from what I've seen and heard, and some opinions about D'Hara have become as outdated as the wiki page.

I'd hoped this thread might shine some light on the subject. If it doesn't we'll just have to figure something else out IC.

You could just run with the existing outsider views. It's nice to have someone semi-villainous to outward appearance. Hoarding gold on your islands and making shady deals could lead to a very interesting merchant based culture, Venezia comes to mind.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #29: January 08, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
Hoarding gold on your islands and making shady deals could lead to a very interesting merchant based culture, Venezia comes to mind.

The Long Winter sort of put a kink in our gold-hoarding efforts, but I see where your coming from. So, continuing this line of thought, what adjectives would you use to characterize the Venetian merchants you refer to? Good, bad, whatever.