Author Topic: What makes a D'haran?  (Read 140607 times)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a D'haran?
« Reply #30: January 08, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
The Long Winter sort of put a kink in our gold-hoarding efforts, but I see where your coming from. So, continuing this line of thought, what adjectives would you use to characterize the Venetian merchants you refer to? Good, bad, whatever.

Crafty, gold hungry, politically shrewd, active society.

Just a few that I think of immediately.

egamma

« Reply #31: January 09, 2013, 12:20:12 AM »
D'Harans:
are slow to make friends, and even slower to get rid of them (yes, I'm looking at you, Barcans!)

are always looking to buy food

laugh at the people who actually think that the islands are profitable

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 09, 2013, 12:28:47 AM »
D'Harans:
are slow to make friends, and even slower to get rid of them (yes, I'm looking at you, Barcans!)

are always looking to buy food

laugh at the people who actually think that the islands are profitable

Laugh even harder at people who actually think the islands make for a great militarist realm location.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 09, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
D'hara has a culture, though its not rife with less important things (You're wearing white after the second to last friday after the harvest but before the full moon? Scandalous!)

D'harans are very fond of politicking, and have wonderfully embraced the republican form of government. A good deal of this goes on in the background. However, for all the love of republicanism, there is a group in the realm that maintains status quo, and you either go with what they say or you get out.

Militarily, D'harans are miserable. They are much more comfortable sitting at home and trading, counting their gold, or starving to death, as the seasons progress. However, when they do march, they take ANY victory they can get and run with it, and the shouts of triumph can be heard from all over. It doesn't matter if their army attacked a single noble, or a pair, and beat them up, it is a major victory.

Dukes are very territorial, and jealously lord over their domains, and the mere thought of one of their regions changing to another Duchy is unbearable.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 09, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
Ummm... D'Hara is a monarchy.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 09, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
A republican monarchy. What we role play is that the last king, King Centaurum, ceded all power to the House of Lords, thus we still have a king but we are ran as a republic.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 09, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »
D'hara has a culture, though its not rife with less important things (You're wearing white after the second to last friday after the harvest but before the full moon? Scandalous!)

D'harans are very fond of politicking, and have wonderfully embraced the republican form of government. A good deal of this goes on in the background. However, for all the love of republicanism, there is a group in the realm that maintains status quo, and you either go with what they say or you get out.

Militarily, D'harans are miserable. They are much more comfortable sitting at home and trading, counting their gold, or starving to death, as the seasons progress. However, when they do march, they take ANY victory they can get and run with it, and the shouts of triumph can be heard from all over. It doesn't matter if their army attacked a single noble, or a pair, and beat them up, it is a major victory.

Dukes are very territorial, and jealously lord over their domains, and the mere thought of one of their regions changing to another Duchy is unbearable.
I would disagree on some of it but overall I think it's a pretty good description.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 09, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »

Rather accurate, though hey, standing up to Luria Nova despite our miserable army is enough to bloat our egos.

And yea, ducal territory changes have always been a very thorny issue in D'Haran politics. Dukes have always been jealous, in a way, and the Dragon Monarchs had put in a tradition of setting their duchies' extent in stone. There is still a great feeling that the ruler can decide what regions belong to which duchies. Still, Nebel joined my duchy of Paisly, which was an unprecedented move and created no fuss. Duke Rurik might not be pleased, though (he is not very vocal), and many might expect it to be a temporary thing (I don't know myself).

We've embraced the republic, but we still consider Cenarious Stormrage to be D'Hara's Dragon King even today. And we retain much of our monarchist culture: elections are rare (quarterly), and electoral campaigns against incumbents are also rather rare or otherwise rather low profile, only a handful have a right to actual vote (lords), etc. I think the sole possible exception might be the general title.

We have a "republican form of governance". ;)

The House of Lords is quite powerful, though, and I believe this predates the republic considerably (though not as formally and perhaps with a different name and more elastic admissibility). It's not codified in any laws, but leaders that make the mistake of ignoring the House of Lord get serious reprimand for it. The House of Lords expects to know everything the ruler does beforehand, or at least before any deals are signed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 10, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »
Rather accurate, though hey, standing up to Luria Nova despite our miserable army is enough to bloat our egos.

And yea, ducal territory changes have always been a very thorny issue in D'Haran politics. Dukes have always been jealous, in a way, and the Dragon Monarchs had put in a tradition of setting their duchies' extent in stone. There is still a great feeling that the ruler can decide what regions belong to which duchies. Still, Nebel joined my duchy of Paisly, which was an unprecedented move and created no fuss. Duke Rurik might not be pleased, though (he is not very vocal), and many might expect it to be a temporary thing (I don't know myself).

We've embraced the republic, but we still consider Cenarious Stormrage to be D'Hara's Dragon King even today. And we retain much of our monarchist culture: elections are rare (quarterly), and electoral campaigns against incumbents are also rather rare or otherwise rather low profile, only a handful have a right to actual vote (lords), etc. I think the sole possible exception might be the general title.

We have a "republican form of governance". ;)

The House of Lords is quite powerful, though, and I believe this predates the republic considerably (though not as formally and perhaps with a different name and more elastic admissibility). It's not codified in any laws, but leaders that make the mistake of ignoring the House of Lord get serious reprimand for it. The House of Lords expects to know everything the ruler does beforehand, or at least before any deals are signed.

The House of Lords is a very jealous body, and aren't ones to let it slide when they're ignored.

I recall Rurik telling Edimillison if he ever wanted to switch allegiance to Paisly he was free to do so, but he would leave Nebel behind. Rurik doesn't speak much in public, but I'm sure he's fuming.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 10, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »

Starvation/travel distance/morale defeated the lurian armies, not your own collection of nobles with swords. And the only "accomplishment" you had during the war was not military, but diplomatically, promising matters you can't deliver to other realms to offer a distraction for the lurians.

I would like to congratulate you with taking back the desert though, that certainly was a loss for us.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 10, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
Starvation/travel distance/morale defeated the lurian armies, not your own collection of nobles with swords. And the only "accomplishment" you had during the war was not military, but diplomatically, promising matters you can't deliver to other realms to offer a distraction for the lurians.

I would like to congratulate you with taking back the desert though, that certainly was a loss for us.

We only lost it when we started to really push to expand westwards and reclaim all of our lost lands. None of us ever expected Luria Nova to be able to hold it back from us, after all of the failed Lurian attempts when we were actually there.

Distance wasn't all that great, really... Really, you have two ways to view this: Luria Nova is great, and D'Hara is even greater for standing up to them despite the massive starvation and the surprise attack, or Luria Nova is pathetic, and D'Hara is just at least slightly superior for still being able to stand up to them despite massive starvation and the surprise attack.

After all, even if most of the attacks had no significant impacts, at least D'Haran troops moved into Luria territory on many occasions. The most I've seen Luria advance is the desert, I think, or maybe a TL or two in Sallowwild. The most I figure you've went is perhaps a failed assault on Sallowtown, at most, if you even made it that far.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #41: January 10, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
Nope. They never made it passed Sallowwild. Remember when they Conga-lined into our waiting ranks? Even Rurik was there, sword ready to repel the invaders. And Jonsu, some crazy how, was captured as I recall.

Good times.  8)
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #42: January 10, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
Of course, The only penetration D'Hara got was ankle deep into Old Solaria, which the Lurian's didn't seem to care about much. Then there was our failed attempts to free the Vesperi in Shinnen, either from themselves or the Lurians I am still not quite sure.

Regardless, the only great thing D'Hara has done militarily is defense. Regaining regions that were ours in the first place isn't too big a deal. Our offensive game has been wretched.

Still, that we lasted this long when EVERYONE thought D'Hara was done for? Yeah, I'll call THAT a win.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 10, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
This is the stupidest argument. LN hasn't mounted a serious campaign into D'Hara in months. Partly because it really sucks to lose half your CS to starvation, partly because nobody likes Bipel, while the opinion on D'Hara is more nuanced, and partly because it's serious about honoring the proposal that Morek and Iashalur lobbied for. It is possible to roflstomp the Sallowcape. It'll just be expensive, messy, and a proposition without value, like conquering Russia after the Russians have turned hundreds of miles into a charred wasteland. Props to D'Hara for clever diplomatic maneuvering early on. Props to LN for heading it off. Are we done propagandizing now?

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #44: January 10, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
D'Harans:
Why?  :'( What have we done?
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar