Author Topic: Exile should not block banishment  (Read 13931 times)

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Exile should not block banishment
« Topic Start: April 07, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »
Currently, when a king decides to exile a character that character will be removed from the judge list of people he is able to ban (kick out/ask to leave).

Since exiling a player has a smaller effect than banishment it should still be possible for to ban an exiled character.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Exile should not block banishment
« Reply #1: April 07, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
I believe that this is an intended part of exile.  I'm not 100% certain, though, and it's at least worth discussing.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: April 07, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
I thought that exile would only be used on characters who cannot normally be banned, like royals, and that's why they're mutually exclusive.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
Does Exiling work immediately or needs some time like a banishment?

In the first case, one would like to block the to-be-banned person from recruiting before bans goes into effect maybe.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: April 07, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
I do not believe Exiling is instant, in fact, it probably gives more time than banning, although this is just my speculation, I haven't looked at the code for this.  Not many things are instant, and for a reason too, since though we communicate through instant letters, things were most definitely not instant back then.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 07, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
Makes sense.

Perhaps in addition to what the exiled noble won't be able to do, under the exile page, it could be useful to mention also what can't be done to the exiled noble in return. It is said it's a good remedy against nobles that can't be banished, but judge and ruler are often 2 different characters and it may very well happen that they think independently.

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 07, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
And in my case the king didn't know about this side effect. ;)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 07, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
Exile is instant.

It prevents the exiled person from recruiting or using banks.

It is intended to be used against people who cannot be banned.

It is intended to be a battle of wills between the ruler and the exiled noble.

I don't know why you would use exile on someone you could ban in the first place.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #8: April 07, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
If your banker steals your monies, then you can exile him/her immediately and disallow bonds -> gold, right? ;)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 07, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »
Could happen if the judge is uncooperative, yet not the target. Though in that case, I don't imagine this would be an issue since the ban would not be forthcoming anyway.

fifo

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 07, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
I don't know why you would use exile on someone you could ban in the first place.
Maybe to not give him too much time taking money or recruiting, because you don't know when the judge will be in BM.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 07, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »
Maybe to not give him too much time taking money or recruiting, because you don't know when the judge will be in BM.

Or without going ooc, in order to prevent him from cashing his bonds and run for it before the ban goes into effect, since it needs a couple days.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 07, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Um...the ban goes into effect immediately. That prevents banking and recruiting.

The ban does not make the noble a rogue until three turns have passed.
Timothy Collett

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 07, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
Um...the ban goes into effect immediately. That prevents banking and recruiting.

The ban does not make the noble a rogue until three turns have passed.

Uh. How many things one can learn on the forums!

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 07, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
Uh. How many things one can learn on the forums!

Heh, yeah.  I didn't learn that bans took effect immediately for years...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"