Author Topic: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors  (Read 34696 times)

m2rt

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors
« Reply #30: January 08, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
So make sure you aren't the only foreign noble there. Or escape to a region owned by another realm. Or find an accomplice to help cover your actions. Or wait for a more opportune time.

Yeah I have time for that. What happened to being lightweight? If the direction is going that way, then I should just go with it and quit the class I have loved so much in the past. Easier to go with the flow. Simple knight only takes few minutes.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 09, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
Or make sure you stir troubles in a realm that wouldn't be listened to even if they bring the case to your judge or ruler.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 09, 2013, 01:45:51 AM »
Or make sure you stir troubles in a realm that wouldn't be listened to even if they bring the case to your judge or ruler.

Yup. Most realms value their infils and don't just up and ban them if they step out of line. And you know, you can always bribe your government, share your winnings. Just don't get caught too often. :)

egamma

« Reply #33: January 09, 2013, 05:52:02 AM »
Yeah I have time for that. What happened to being lightweight? If the direction is going that way, then I should just go with it and quit the class I have loved so much in the past. Easier to go with the flow. Simple knight only takes few minutes.

Lightweight applies to simple knights, not to every single class and subclass and title in the game.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 09, 2013, 08:21:02 AM »
A simple knight is also a lot cheaper. By my estimates training a skill to 70% at an academy costs upwards 2,000 gold, so the requirement of training two skills to such heights as an infiltrator gives the class quite a hefty prerequisite fee, it's practically the cost of an army. Now you're telling me that they're visible and consequentially relegated to using their abilities only in unlikely or even contrived situations? That seems to make them completely not worthwhile, I for one won't be bothering with that class while this is the case.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 09, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »
Not every class is suitable for every player. Lots of people refuse to be priests, while some people play them exclusively. Some people never play infils, some people always play them. There's lots of stuff in the game. Play whatever you want.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 09, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
My disaffection with the infiltrator class owes itself not to a matter of fancy -- on the contrary I have always seen the idea of the infiltrator as fun an intriguing -- but rather a concern regarding it's effectiveness. The long and short of it is that this premium class is rather ineffectual when put into effect, able to hinder only in the short term and with the present state of it's visibility, only mildly successful at that. I should think that from a gameplay perspective more ought to be done to increase the viability of the class and that reinstating the stealthiness of old would be a most prudent means to achieving that end.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 09, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »
My disaffection with the infiltrator class owes itself not to a matter of fancy -- on the contrary I have always seen the idea of the infiltrator as fun an intriguing -- but rather a concern regarding it's effectiveness. The long and short of it is that this premium class is rather ineffectual when put into effect, able to hinder only in the short term and with the present state of it's visibility, only mildly successful at that. I should think that from a gameplay perspective more ought to be done to increase the viability of the class and that reinstating the stealthiness of old would be a most prudent means to achieving that end.

Right now, there are 13 infiltrators on EC, 9 on Dwilight, 21 on Beluaterra and 14 on FEI. I don't have access to Atamara on the Colonies.

In my opinion, these are reasonable numbers. The class is viable. We wouldn't want or need so much more infiltrators.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 09, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »
Atamara on the Colonies.
25 and 3.

None of these numbers count paused characters. On some islands, there are a significant number of them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 09, 2013, 10:30:41 PM »
Right now, there are 13 infiltrators on EC, 9 on Dwilight, 21 on Beluaterra and 14 on FEI. I don't have access to Atamara on the Colonies.

In my opinion, these are reasonable numbers. The class is viable. We wouldn't want or need so much more infiltrators.
I agree those are reasonable numbers, one thing I am wondering though is how you got them?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 09, 2013, 11:07:58 PM »
I agree those are reasonable numbers, one thing I am wondering though is how you got them?

http://battlemaster.org/Statistics.Distribution.php

It shows a different island depending which character you are logged in with.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 10, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »

That doesn't mean anything. I've had warrior/infiltrators who never performed any infiltrator actions whatsoever, because they didn't have the time and gold to spend months training and that without the training the actions are too risky to be worth it.

The number of total infils does not equal the number of infils on duty.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 10, 2013, 01:01:21 PM »
That doesn't mean anything. I've had warrior/infiltrators who never performed any infiltrator actions whatsoever, because they didn't have the time and gold to spend months training and that without the training the actions are too risky to be worth it.

Why did you bother taking the hits of the subclass if you had no interest in using it then?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 10, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »
Why did you bother taking the hits of the subclass if you had no interest in using it then?

The hits? You mean, lower recruitment capacity? I was hiring from the best infantry troops at the time, and didn't have the income to recruit up to my maximum warrior limit. Are there any other?

It also (probably erroneously) made me feel overall safer from capture. And I figured that maybe one day, I'd train, or that, who knows, maybe eventually an occasion would appear where infil acts would be well worth the risks of being untrained (such as a huge army approaching a city and doing some road travel time play).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 10, 2013, 01:25:40 PM »
The hits? You mean, lower recruitment capacity? I was hiring from the best infantry troops at the time, and didn't have the income to recruit up to my maximum warrior limit. Are there any other?

There's the inability to duel, and back then ineligibility for government positions (or is this still true?).

There may be a few other ones like you, but I'm pretty certain most infiltrators intend to infiltrate. They may not do it every day, but they chose that class for a reason.