Author Topic: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors  (Read 34988 times)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors
« Reply #45: January 10, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
I don't believe I've witnessed a single infiltrator action in the past year. Perhaps that is because they are no longer reported to the entire realm? If not then it suggests to me that the class is unreasonably weak. Of course that is merely based off of my personal experience, but think for yourselves how often you seen infiltrator reports now compared to 5 years ago (if you were around then). They've diminished, that's for sure.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: January 10, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
I don't believe I've witnessed a single infiltrator action in the past year. Perhaps that is because they are no longer reported to the entire realm?

Of course they're not reported to the entire realm. What would be the point of hiding the class then?

On the one hand, you argue for invisibility, but on the other hand you want a report generated every time you do something? I have a hard time grasping what your vision of an infiltrator is.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: January 10, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »
I never said that's what I wanted, that's just the way it once was. I remember there used to be realm wide reports when tax gold was pilfered or some noble woke up to an assailant. But if that really is no longer the case than it certainly makes up for loss of invisibility, to some extent at least.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: January 10, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
When your realm was victimized, yes there was. Not sure if there still is...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: January 10, 2013, 10:23:28 PM »
I never said that's what I wanted, that's just the way it once was. I remember there used to be realm wide reports when tax gold was pilfered or some noble woke up to an assailant. But if that really is no longer the case than it certainly makes up for loss of invisibility, to some extent at least.
I believe both of those still happen when the infiltrator fails.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: January 10, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »
technically... ninjas aren't really assassins XD first and foremost they gather info.

Actually their main purpose was as special forces shock troops.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: January 10, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »
So make sure you aren't the only foreign noble there. Or escape to a region owned by another realm. Or find an accomplice to help cover your actions. Or wait for a more opportune time.

That pretty much eliminates the ability to be a behind the lines saboteur during war. Even if there's other foreign nobles around, it will be pretty obvious that the one who's from an enemy realm is not supposed to be there.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: January 10, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
That pretty much eliminates the ability to be a behind the lines saboteur during war. Even if there's other foreign nobles around, it will be pretty obvious that the one who's from an enemy realm is not supposed to be there.
Not everybody does just against people they are at war with.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: January 10, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »
Actually their main purpose was as special forces shock troops.

eh... no. they gather info.
firefox

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #54: January 11, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
No!  They fight pirates.

<.<

While I like the idea presented for the current type of infiltrator, I too would prefer it palhased into a type of spymaster role.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #55: January 11, 2013, 01:06:33 AM »

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: January 11, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »
Not everybody does just against people they are at war with.

But that's the best time to do it.

No!  They fight pirates.

<.<

While I like the idea presented for the current type of infiltrator, I too would prefer it palhased into a type of spymaster role.

If we do that maybe the current infiltrator abilities should become part of an adventurer class.

I've read several books and papers about this and attended lectures.

Most of the information gathering a Ninja would do was little more then standard scouting.

The most effect use of ninjas was to have them infiltrate a besieged castle wearing the uniforms of the defending force then proceed to set fire to everything in sight making it appear that there's a rebellion in the ranks. Once the castle is in a sufficient state of chaos the besieging army would attack.

Ninja were also used to harass army camps depriving the soldiers of sleep and generally hurting moral (new infiltrator ability?)

Ninjas as assassins is their least effective use. There are actually no documented cases of Ninja successfully assassinating any prominent Daimyo or Samurai.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:22:32 AM by pcw27 »

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: January 11, 2013, 05:56:34 AM »
My understanding was that Infiltrators were NOT meant to be modeled after Ninja.

Half the problem, in my opinion, is in the name. When I see Infiltrator I think of using stealth to get where I should not be. Stealth has largely been removed from the class. Sure, in theory, the Infiltrator is being stealthy as he goes from his camp/lodging within a region to the location of his target withing that same region and back. The problem is that it really does not sound much more stealthy than when a troop loots the tax office. In both cases you have to be the region and everyone can see you are.

I personally love the idea of adventurers being able to pick up some of the cloak and dagger pieces from the old Infiltrator class. As a subclass perhaps. One argument against thee old Infiltrator class was that no noble would ever act in such a way. An Adventurer would I think.

I also like the idea of the spymaster focus for the noble. I have a hard time imagining the mechanics but it sure sounds cool!

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: January 11, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »
There's the inability to duel, and back then ineligibility for government positions (or is this still true?).
This is still true.

Only 14 of FEI?  Interesting. . . .

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: January 24, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
I know this is a tangent away from stealthmode, but as far as the spymaster is concerned, what about the ability to send anonymous messages to individuals/groups?

If they themselves cannot be hidden, perhaps they can start to hide the source of information/misinformation they leak?
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)