Author Topic: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors  (Read 34772 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors
« Reply #60: January 24, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »
I know this is a tangent away from stealthmode, but as far as the spymaster is concerned, what about the ability to send anonymous messages to individuals/groups?

If they themselves cannot be hidden, perhaps they can start to hide the source of information/misinformation they leak?
I like the idea. The question is, would they be able to reply? In RL, they could give the messenger a letter back but it could have been left somewhere instead of a direct deliriving so it could go either way. Maybe an option for the sender.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: January 25, 2013, 12:16:34 AM »
In general, anything that undermines the trust in the message system is very undesirable. I'm fairly certain that sending anonymous messages has been discussed before, and rejected.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: January 25, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
In general, anything that undermines the trust in the message system is very undesirable. I'm fairly certain that sending anonymous messages has been discussed before, and rejected.

It has been discussed... but I do not personally remember the outcome.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: January 25, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »
How is being anonymous undermining trust of the message system?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: January 25, 2013, 02:46:56 AM »
I agree. Being able to intercept messages of send a message as another noble could kill trust. Receiving a message with Anonymous as the sender does not.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: January 25, 2013, 03:54:37 AM »
I don't remember the entire past conversation about this. But one thing it does, IMO, is create too many possibilities for information to be passed around freely with no consequences. Spying is already easy enough. With this, any time you send a message, it can be anonymously leaked bg anyone who gets is (or any infil). We don't need people being able to anonymously spread information (or disinformation) on such a wide scale.

But that's just my opinion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: January 25, 2013, 05:02:27 AM »
I don't remember the entire past conversation about this. But one thing it does, IMO, is create too many possibilities for information to be passed around freely with no consequences. Spying is already easy enough. With this, any time you send a message, it can be anonymously leaked bg anyone who gets is (or any infil). We don't need people being able to anonymously spread information (or disinformation) on such a wide scale.

But that's just my opinion.
Make a skill based chance for the senders identity to be revealed.
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #67: January 31, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
Discussions like this belong in the Development forum, not in the Feature Request where it's either accepted or rejected with non-substantial modifications.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: February 03, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »
Honestly, I dislike infiltrators altogether.

They always come off as gamey.  There is almost never a time when they can be taken in a serious IC manner, as everyone always knows who the culprit is. They cannot actually kill anyone, so nobody is actually afraid of infiltrators, they are really just an annoyance. It's is hard to take their class/profession seriously IC because there is convincing way for anyone to RP being an "infiltrator" AND a medieval noble. If anything, infiltrators should be restricted to adventurers, it would make more sense.

If there was a vote taken, I'd just say nix the class altogether. For people who want to play a class different than the vanilla, the game would be a lot better off with more Courtiers or Priests.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Zoso

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: February 03, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »
Actually, the idea of moving infiltrator duties to adventurers would be a great idea.  Nobles can commission dodgy characters and would provide a great avenue of wealth for daring adventurers.  Not to mention the chance of information extraction from capture assassins.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: February 03, 2013, 11:20:23 PM »
Adventurers can't do anything with wealth. No units, no banks, nada. Equipment is cheap and by the time they're able to rack up bounties they'd have already had their training taken care of.

Also, apparently "infiltrators are not meant to be ninjas," they are meant to be nobility who stab other nobility to death at dinner parties, like in Clue. No peasant baggers allowed.

What I'd like to see done, which I know will never happen, is assassinations made lethal. This would solve two problems. Firstly, the incongruity between an "assassin," running around, "assassinating" people by wounding them for the week. Secondly, it would add more drama and chaos to the game, helping to deal with the lack of excitement found in many realms. But as I said, that will never happen, as there's a sort of prevalent axiom that character death is bad.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: February 04, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
Also, apparently "infiltrators are not meant to be ninjas," they are meant to be nobility who stab other nobility to death at dinner parties, like in Clue. No peasant baggers allowed.

Except that the game script you get when an assassin attacks is literally a description of him sneaking into your tent at night and trying to slit your throat.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: February 04, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Except that the game script you get when an assassin attacks is literally a description of him sneaking into your tent at night and trying to slit your throat.
Which makes no sense. I was successful in trying to attack you which is always implied as trying to slit their throat but somehow that didn't kill you, maybe hurt you for a day or two.
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: February 04, 2013, 11:43:59 PM »
That's quite false. It makes no mention of throat-slittings.

The specific text you get when you are seriously wounded by an infiltrator (ie, the worst it can be), is

The attacker cuts through your defenses, and sinks the blade into your body twice before running away, seriously wounding you.

Even if he catches you sleeping, you always wake up in time to grab a dagger and at least try to defend yourself. Your wounds are body-wounds at worst, not neck-wounds.

And these days, it can even turn out to be not that bad—his blade missed the vital organs, or maybe the blood on your shirt was from a smaller scratch and the major wounds were only in your thigh and shoulder—and you only get a regular wound.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: February 04, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »
That's quite false. It makes no mention of throat-slittings.

The specific text you get when you are seriously wounded by an infiltrator (ie, the worst it can be), is

Even if he catches you sleeping, you always wake up in time to grab a dagger and at least try to defend yourself. Your wounds are body-wounds at worst, not neck-wounds.

And these days, it can even turn out to be not that bad—his blade missed the vital organs, or maybe the blood on your shirt was from a smaller scratch and the major wounds were only in your thigh and shoulder—and you only get a regular wound.
Which is stupid. He snuck in your tent and decides he will try to see if he is lucky when randomly stabbing the body instead of throat or head. It it's almost laughable ever he trying to call any infiltrator an assassin when history implies that all infils are idiots and can't ever actually kill someone.
― G.K. Chesterton