Author Topic: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors  (Read 34707 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors
« Reply #90: February 05, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »
Ah, the Great Timghthouse. :)

...That's...kind of unpronounceable. And mostly looks like "Tightmouse."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #91: February 05, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »
...That's...kind of unpronounceable. And mostly looks like "Tightmouse."

What u talking 'bout, Tim, 'tis only 5 consecutive consonants!
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: February 05, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »
What u talking 'bout, Tim, 'tis only 5 consecutive consonants!

C'mon, it's not like I speak Welsh!
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #93: February 05, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Apparently twyndyllyngs is a word meaning twins... Longest word without any vowels.

Catchphrase has 6 consecutive and people actually use it, hehe. :)

Does Welsh have a lot of consonants?

I... I didn't know... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=welsh
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: February 05, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
Apparently twyndyllyngs is a word meaning twins... Longest word without any vowels.

Don't be silly; it's got 4.

Anyway, it's less about quantity than quality.
Timothy Collett

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: February 05, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
If you believe infiltrators should be able to kill nobles, it is because of an image that the players have built up around them. Not because of anything in the inherent design or presentation of the class.

Contrary to what you and others say, the infiltrator is unquestionably presented as a ninja-class. Infiltrators hunt bounties. Infiltrators assassinate militia. Infiltrators break into tax offices and steal money. I can't think of any aspect of the infiltrator that is not ninja-like. It is therefore consistent to expect the infiltrator to also assassinate nobles; not merely stab them in the leg to keep them in bed for a few days (by the way, how is that not 'ninja'-like too?).

It is far more absurd to believe that, out of thousands of attempts that have occurred to date, not one infiltrator has ever been successful. Sure, you could play some of these failures off by saying "haha, this wound I have inflicted upon my victim will serve as a warning," but it becomes contrived when you have to give the same or similar reasons for thousands of other incidents. How, exactly, does it make sense for these thousands of failed assassinations to have occurred, with thousands of bounties paid out to them?

Essentially, the problem with the infiltrator is that it is not compatible with the game's setting. You deny that "ninja's" can exist in this setting, yet the infiltrator is nothing but one. You do not want player death, yet you add a mechanic which should logically lead to it. On the one hand, you want to restrict these things, but on the other, you add a class which which does not work without them. It's a case of failure to compute, logic.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: February 05, 2013, 10:36:31 PM »
The assumption you are making (and I'm flabbergasted that I actually have to reiterate this) is that infiltrators are in any way intended to be able to kill nobles.

The game does not tell you they can do this. The wiki does not tell you they can do this.

If you believe infiltrators should be able to kill nobles, it is because of an image that the players have built up around them. Not because of anything in the inherent design or presentation of the class.
Pretty sure I can find evidence to the contrary snd there have been cases of assassination its juzt that the other player wen t with it by retiring after the attacking roleplaying it as death.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: February 05, 2013, 11:55:59 PM »
Pretty sure I can find evidence to the contrary snd there have been cases of assassination its juzt that the other player wen t with it by retiring after the attacking roleplaying it as death.

Yes, I believe there might be between 2 and 5 cases of this happening in the 8-9 years since infiltrators were introduced.

Hardly enough to form a pattern.
Timothy Collett

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: February 06, 2013, 01:34:01 AM »
Honestly, I find a bit strange that a noble can die in a death duel, but not stabbed by a infiltrator... Not always, but sometimes would be fun for them to kill the target.

mmm... I think an adventurer can be killed by a infiltrator, but a Hero can die in a infiltrator attack?

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: February 06, 2013, 01:38:46 AM »
If at any time infiltrators actions can lead to death, it should be mutually risky. If an assassin gains the power to slit your throat in your sleep, the victim should gain the power to parade his head through the town if he fails.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: February 06, 2013, 01:39:07 AM »
Honestly, I find a bit strange that a noble can die in a death duel, but not stabbed by a infiltrator... Not always, but sometimes would be fun for them to kill the target.

Fun for the infiltrator? Sure.

Fun for everyone else in the game? Not so much.

Just like it would be fun for me if my character was named Supreme Ruler of Dwilight, and could simply have anyone killed at will. But not so much fun for the rest of Dwilight.

Mortality in BattleMaster is always a voluntary thing, and occurs only in strictly circumscribed conditions.

mmm... I think an adventurer can be killed by a infiltrator, but a Hero can die in a infiltrator attack?

No. No one can be killed by infiltrators. Ever. Period.
Timothy Collett

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: February 06, 2013, 04:22:08 AM »
Fun for the infiltrator? Sure.

Fun for everyone else in the game? Not so much.

Just like it would be fun for me if my character was named Supreme Ruler of Dwilight, and could simply have anyone killed at will. But not so much fun for the rest of Dwilight.

Mortality in BattleMaster is always a voluntary thing, and occurs only in strictly circumscribed conditions.

No. No one can be killed by infiltrators. Ever. Period.
I disagree. I have never been an infiltrator yet I have always that it would be better with mortality which other players have also said.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: February 06, 2013, 04:24:09 AM »
Yes, I believe there might be between 2 and 5 cases of this happening in the 8-9 years since infiltrators were introduced.

Hardly enough to form a pattern.
The fact that some people were willing to go along with the infiltrators was not with there being evidence to the contrary. I was referring to you saying that the infiltrators intent is never said to kill.
― G.K. Chesterton

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: February 13, 2013, 12:07:53 AM »
Contrary to what you and others say, the infiltrator is unquestionably presented as a ninja-class. Infiltrators hunt bounties. Infiltrators assassinate militia. Infiltrators break into tax offices and steal money. I can't think of any aspect of the infiltrator that is not ninja-like. It is therefore consistent to expect the infiltrator to also assassinate nobles; not merely stab them in the leg to keep them in bed for a few days (by the way, how is that not 'ninja'-like too?).

ninja?... I thought they would be more like 'Robin Hood's.  ;D ... or as the 'El Zorro': Honourable noble at day, infiltrator at night.

mmm... maybe, when unit-less they could move as adventurers... This would make them a bit less evident!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:09:42 AM by Poliorketes »