Author Topic: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors  (Read 34771 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Stealth mode for unitless infiltraitors
« Reply #105: February 13, 2013, 12:08:28 AM »
ninja?... I thought they would be more like 'Robin Hood's.  ;D ... or as the 'El Zorro': Honourable noble at day, infiltrator at night.

Yes; actually, Zorro's not a bad analogy, IMO.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #106: February 13, 2013, 06:27:40 AM »
If at any time infiltrators actions can lead to death, it should be mutually risky. If an assassin gains the power to slit your throat in your sleep, the victim should gain the power to parade his head through the town if he fails.

Isn't it already, to some degree? You wound a noble and often become hunted (assuming you escape). You are first banned and then typically executed if caught. To some extent, it's imbalanced against infiltrators right now; you cannot do any real lasting damage, but you still risk banishment and execution on a regular basis. Sure, the escape chances help quite a lot (I've had infiltrators escape from my dungeons too often... and I was Judge for a month.), but I'd take a drop in escape chances for a shot at lasting effects.

Now, let's go with the idea being presented that there is always a struggle during an assault. Furthermore, going off the text given, we assume the infiltrator is trying to seriously wound the noble. Shouldn't there be a possibility for a failed assault that results in the accidental death of a noble, be it the infiltrator or the victim? I can't imagine that it would never happen that a startled opponent trying to defend himself and someone aiming to do serious, not fatal damage accidentally missed the mark and killed someone. It's not like either of them have the finest control in what sounds like it is supposed to be a fracas in the dark.

Also, on the opposite end of the evidence spectrum, infiltrators are often arrested "with a poisoned dagger under his cloak". What's the poison supposed to do? Make the blade look wet?

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #107: February 14, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
Well infils are fun at the moment and can cause some serious havoc and even change the tides of battles. It does not happen regularly but it happens.

What I would like to see is at least some form of stealth mode since right now it's really obvious who does what and let's be honest, in most islands noone rps anything and they just take the info of scout reports etc to blame the infil.

Since heroes are supposed to die (at least people know this is an option when they choose the class) infils should be able to have a chance at killing them.

Now about the escape option it's cool and all but is not really something you can count on when it breaks every second patch or so especially on testing islands.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: February 14, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
What I would like to see is at least some form of stealth mode since right now it's really obvious who does what and let's be honest, in most islands noone rps anything and they just take the info of scout reports etc to blame the infil.

The point has been beaten to death before, but it is only obvious if you make it obvious. This has nothing to do with RP.

I agree with your other points, btw.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: February 17, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
I found another description that's incongruous with the infiltrator's non-lethal abilities. When you mouse over the 'wanted' bar, on the character fame page, the description reads, "The amount of gold that people have put out to get your head severed from your body," which obviously refers to the value of the bounty for your character. Bounties are mainly awarded for the wounding of characters, rarely for the killing; people do not place bounties with the expectation that the target will be killed. Therefore, stating that it's the intention of the client to see your character killed is grossly misleading.

Eirikr

« Reply #110: February 19, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
On a related note to the original topic/suggestion, sea routes have helped change the infiltrator game. Since you cannot scout into the sea, it makes it nearly impossible to track an infil through water... It also gives every coastal realm a giant back door. Of course, unitless infiltrators also have an advantage since they can ignore much of the actual cost of sea travel.