Poll

Is the proposed Empire a good way to restart the Colonies while holding to player driven content?

Lukon has won...lets do the player driven reset...
7 (19.4%)
It seems a good way to draw more players to the Colonies
7 (19.4%)
The Hendrix family and Lukon are the sons of monkeyless goats!!!!!!!
7 (19.4%)
Go home Lukon...your drunk
9 (25%)
The Colonies have been boring & this will provide a solid change with no threats to realm distruction.
6 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Empire of the Colonies  (Read 17985 times)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Empire of the Colonies
« Topic Start: January 07, 2013, 06:32:17 AM »
OK so I am drunk.  But I still love the game!

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Empire of the Colonies
« Reply #1: January 07, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
Be careful what you wish for, Valakyrie. Heh ;D
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 08, 2013, 04:52:52 AM »
The idea of a reset is appealing, but not of an Empire.  The way it's proposed, from what I've heard, it still locks in diplomacy to a way.  Would be a LOT cooler is Lukon just forced everyone else into secession or destruction, and THEN split up.  Forming an Empire with rules and regulations just gives you stupid crap you could do now anyways. 
The reason nobody does?  Lukon.
Alowca was starting to whoop Oritolon.  Things could have actually gotten interesting in the south.
Lukon came.
Minas Thalion was pummeling Oritolon.  They had driven the Duchy of Alowca rogue already, and their only claim in the war with any substance that they would pursue was the duchy.
Lukon came.
Lukon decided to build an Empire, one in which the current proposal has everyone going to one city.  The Assassins didn't want to hail to an Emperor, and only had one STRONGHOLD, crappy income at that.  They should be okay and balanced out with everyone else, right?
Well, Lukon came.

The island doesn't need a Lukon driven reset, it needs Lukon to reset itself and F off.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 08, 2013, 05:05:19 AM »
The idea of a reset is appealing, but not of an Empire.  The way it's proposed, from what I've heard, it still locks in diplomacy to a way.  Would be a LOT cooler is Lukon just forced everyone else into secession or destruction, and THEN split up.  Forming an Empire with rules and regulations just gives you stupid crap you could do now anyways. 
The reason nobody does?  Lukon.
Alowca was starting to whoop Oritolon.  Things could have actually gotten interesting in the south.
Lukon came.
Minas Thalion was pummeling Oritolon.  They had driven the Duchy of Alowca rogue already, and their only claim in the war with any substance that they would pursue was the duchy.
Lukon came.
Lukon decided to build an Empire, one in which the current proposal has everyone going to one city.  The Assassins didn't want to hail to an Emperor, and only had one STRONGHOLD, crappy income at that.  They should be okay and balanced out with everyone else, right?
Well, Lukon came.

The island doesn't need a Lukon driven reset, it needs Lukon to reset itself and F off.
Its a Lukon driven reset, but they themselves would be dividing up too. It being an empire allows realms first off forces everyone to keep all the realms alive which is a good thing. The other good thing is limiting federations and blocs from really forming.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 08, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »

Why do you want to bash Lukon for playing well?

They have played hard and well...working to get everything they have.  How dare they play well.

From what you have said, you would prefer an OOC reset rather than one that is character driven.  Its not going to happen.  No one in the Colonies can stop Lukon from taking out all the remaining realms if they wanted.  It has been that way for a long time.  Lukon entered into wars to make sure the outcome was as needed for their plans...of course those who were on the loosing end are not happy but that is the way things go in a game.

The reason why there will be an Empire rather than Lukon just splitting its self... is because that is how my Character would do it.  Now she could go on and dismantle the other realms but that would take time...and the Colonies have become too slow.  So  the Colonies get a boost... Lukon holds the first seat of the Empire for 2 or 3 months, and then elections begin.  That gives us our pride, the Colonies their action, and provides a little bit of interesting new politics.

There are no game mechanics involved with the Empire having power.  It is all politics.  If a realm wanted to, they could go kill off any realm they wanted and laugh at Lukon for being so silly to trust them.  So if you do not like it...find a way to stop it or break it once it is in place.  Go start a rebellion and be the first realm to break free of the Empire...or start a group for those who despise Lukon, and make a difference.

Bottom line... Lukon is choosing to do this to help increase the popularity of the Colonies to raise the population of nobility.  At the same time, why would Lukon just break its self up...and why would they do that while leaving other realms large?  This way provides a way for Lukon to get its due...provide fresh new action...end old stagnant alliances and enemies...while still maintaining our characters, history and uniqueness...   

We have played hard and consistent while maintaining a good story.  Just because the Colonies needs a little shake up does not mean everyone gets to beat on Lukon.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 08, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
The Island could be contested if Oritilon and Outer Tilog joined forces. They should ally and then confront Lukon in a final war to free the Island and destroy the ring of power. If that fails then Lukon can declare that they won and do their empire thing.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 08, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
I like the Empire idea. It has a lot of roleplay potential. As has been said, Lukon is just too big and distorting an influence. Things don't happen because of Lukon and even when things do happen, they're usually sabotaged because someone turns to Lukon. Go with the empire though and Lukon voluntarily carves herself up and puts herself on a level playing field with the rest of us. And the rest of us can connive and scheme to keep things that way! It could be a lot of fun.

We'll see how things go though. Oritolon is discussing Valakyrie's proposal now and I couldn't tell you how it will turn out. We might join in. We might tell Lukon where to get off. Or we might just end up in a civil war!

Well, Lukon came.

Indeed, destroying the Assassins was pretty harsh. I guess it was to put brakes on the rest of the continent uniting against Lukon's plans? Or at least, to even things up in Lukon's favour if they did. Is it even possible to restore an independent realm to the Citadel like Lukon intends to do though? The fact that it's a stronghold could be problematic. Hopefully, the Guild can be allowed to take it back if a new realm can't be founded/seceded from there.

The Island could be contested if Oritilon and Outer Tilog joined forces. They should ally and then confront Lukon in a final war to free the Island and destroy the ring of power. If that fails then Lukon can declare that they won and do their empire thing.

That assumes Oritolon and Outer Tilog would both be willing to fight Lukon in the first place. When first I heard about plans of Lukon's empire I made tentative efforts to oppose them but it quickly became clear that it would have led to civil war in Oritolon (and probably Lukon helping Spearhead back to power). I reached out to Outer Tilog too but they simply shrugged and fair enough I suppose. Their capital is only two regions away from Lukon's. I don't expect they were exactly jumping at the chance to make common cause with mighty Oritolon, who fell apart like an old sack fighting Minas Thalion!

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 08, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
I have known that Lukon was too big, or too strong or what ever, for a long time.  It really came about when we had Portion and then the priests finally fell.  Up until that point my plots and plans were on the fly with changes taking place every day.  Alebad was a great enemy for a long time.

Now I am not going to say my playing style is best.  Not going to say I am not at fault for the slow down of the Colonies.  But I will say that I have played my characters as intended...most of the time.  I had to change how ruthless Valast was after a while.  The Valast of the early history would not have worked to rebuild OT after they were nearly wiped out by Giblot...would not have tried to found MT in Alebad...and would not have attempted to give Wetham to the Assassins.  I played up the actions as Valast growing older.  But it was to try and keep things moving in the Colonies.

It is the same thing now with Valakyrie.  Rakaarox (James) had been talking to me for a long time about how Lukon will need to be broken up at some point... but how to do that without 1. major break in character...I could not find a way to justify it.  Valakyrie's story is hers and I just help move things along... or 2. Leave the players in Lukon as sitting ducks out in the cold.  They have worked harder than I have to get Lukon where it is.

So enters the balance of how to provide the needs of the Colonies, Players, Character.

Enter the plan of Empire.  Valakyrie will become the first Empress and the historical references of the creation... With all the realms returning to city states it will make sure the players in Lukon are not left weak in a sea of enemies... the break up of Lukon will provide new positions of power for those formerly of Lukon, so their characters are taken care of... and the entire thing will bring more action, skills, intrigue, politics... and players I hope... to the Colonies.

---

The Assassins have not been destroyed, if you guys look a bit closer.  No more that MT has.  Both have a chance to survive the Empire building process... MT has already made an effort to do so.

As to why the Assassins were attacked... that has more to do with the plotting with MT and others against Lukon and Oritolon.  So Lukon had planned for a while to simply replace the leadership of the Assassins with Lullaby and Aramon Abjur (Jr)... However... Lullaby auto paused and Aramon (jr) had less a line to power in the realm.  I continued to bluff a bit about it all and my bluff was called...so Lukon did what it does when its bluff is called.  Now the future is still not decided on the Dark Citadel.  It is my hope that it returns to what it was at the beginning of the Colonies...full of infiltrators.  Yet this time with a little regulation on the use of infiltrators... enforced by the Empire.  (in other words all people with bounties are fair game... however any infiltrator captured can still be punished by the realm that captured him/her... yet any ban placed on an infiltrator should have a set fine which can be paid to the realm in order to have the ban lifted... all so that we create a fair environment for infiltrators without just letting them run wild.)

---

Now the idea of OT and Oritolon joining up to fight Lukon.  That idea set sail a long long time ago.  While Lukon has upheld its oath to Oritolon for 9 years now...the two realms have drifted far apart.  Lukon and Oritolon nobles do not have the spark of friendship they once did....and it is only held together by the "old guard"....who are few and far between.  So I could see the chance for a fight there although Lukon would still have the moral high ground at least in my opinion  ;)

At the same time, OT and Lukon have drifted closer together.  It was Lukon who defended OT when they were down to one region... and then we helped them to defeat Giblot to end that blood feud that has raged from the start of colonies.  Perhaps they would ignore that...or perhaps they look forward to the Empire so that they can have all different sorts of BBQ again...

Lets say both did choose to fight.  I think the map of the Colonies shows who has the defensive advantage.  Although all 4 realms against Lukon, you would have the advantage during the initial attacks.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 09, 2013, 03:39:02 AM »
This seems to be the logical course of action. Unfortunately it could not happen for many reasons. As you may have know. OT does accept many refugees from fallen realms, as does Oritolon recently. Unless those refugees rise up to power anytime soon, it is difficult. Maybe those refugees need some helping hand. Thus, the idea of Empire ::)

We'll see how things go though. Oritolon is discussing Valakyrie's proposal now and I couldn't tell you how it will turn out. We might join in. We might tell Lukon where to get off. Or we might just end up in a civil war!
Seems Battlemaster does not have a successful Republic realm ;)
Oritolon realm keeps having rebellions and internal strife all over again.
The old guards seem having a heavy heart to giveup power to the younger generations.

That assumes Oritolon and Outer Tilog would both be willing to fight Lukon in the first place. When first I heard about plans of Lukon's empire I made tentative efforts to oppose them but it quickly became clear that it would have led to civil war in Oritolon (and probably Lukon helping Spearhead back to power). I reached out to Outer Tilog too but they simply shrugged and fair enough I suppose. Their capital is only two regions away from Lukon's. I don't expect they were exactly jumping at the chance to make common cause with mighty Oritolon, who fell apart like an old sack fighting Minas Thalion!
Your assumption about Spearhead is a hit on the head. As long as Spearhead lives, if something happen to Oritolon without his sort-of-agreement, Lukon will march. You surely remember well that Khain our previous Ruler times ;D
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 09, 2013, 07:22:15 PM »
Now the idea of OT and Oritolon joining up to fight Lukon.  That idea set sail a long long time ago.  While Lukon has upheld its oath to Oritolon for 9 years now...the two realms have drifted far apart.  Lukon and Oritolon nobles do not have the spark of friendship they once did....and it is only held together by the "old guard"....who are few and far between.  So I could see the chance for a fight there although Lukon would still have the moral high ground at least in my opinion  ;)

At the same time, OT and Lukon have drifted closer together.  It was Lukon who defended OT when they were down to one region... and then we helped them to defeat Giblot to end that blood feud that has raged from the start of colonies.  Perhaps they would ignore that...or perhaps they look forward to the Empire so that they can have all different sorts of BBQ again...

Various bits snipped from above... So, the Outer Tilog view (well, the ruler's view, not necessarily that of everyone...) of what's happened (based on information that is not hidden).

Back when Lukon was Outer Tilog's sworn enemy, we warned the other realms that if something were not done soon it would be too late to stop Lukon in the long run - for a lot of the time we were ignored as a realm that was being beaten in war and giving out desperate messages to somehow try to save ourselves. Eventually that war did finish and we were not destroyed.

A few years later, when we were in a strong position, we called on all the realms (apart from Oritolon) to join together to free Portion from Lukon and ensure that all realms were once more at just one city (yes, it was that long ago). A lot of planning went into that, and it had every chance of succeeding. Unfortunately, at the last moment we were betrayed by one of those realms and it nearly cost us our existence. The Outer Tilog ruler then eventually said a few things which are not public, and since then relations with Lukon just continuously improved.

Since then they assisted us in rebuilding our realm and have been a very good ally that we have no reason to turn against. Also, there is still that memory of the last time we trusted our allies to try to do something massive and were severely let down. There is no IC reason that we would want to go to war with Lukon, especially given conversations that have happened over the past couple of years.

So though everyone combining to fight Lukon might be good, it's not something that Outer Tilog could really do and stay true to its characters. (well, most of them...)
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 10, 2013, 02:54:42 AM »
Colonies has always been a place and island for those players who wish to play slowly and at their own pace. Sometime we get those infiltrators deported from other islands, most of them tend to go to Assassins realm. The name Assassins does attract them I believe ;D

For this Empire idea. Here's OOC what I see and hope to happen IC.

Assassins realm goes back to being some sort of infiltrators-for-hire realm to highest bidders. Its very own root if what I read about their realm history is the truth. They going have a Stronghold only as their capital as far as Geography is concerned.

Lukon realm will divide up Portion city, Wetham city and Lukon city to become 3 smaller realms. That is good for the rest of the realms as we all seem to play second-fiddle to Lukon.

Oritolon realm has Oritolon city, Alebad city and Alowca city. Look like we may see resurrection of Alebad realm and Alowca realm.

Outer Tilog realm may consider divide their cities up as well. Who do not want more votes power in future Emperor or Empress? ;D

Minas Thalion realm has nothing much to offer. There has been relocation request to Oritolon realm but it was rebuffed ::)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 10, 2013, 05:16:24 PM »
Assassins realm goes back to being some sort of infiltrators-for-hire realm to highest bidders. Its very own root if what I read about their realm history is the truth. They going have a Stronghold only as their capital as far as Geography is concerned.

My thinking was similar to yours.  Let the Assassins become the "Assassins" again.  However this time with some Imperial laws in place... Those laws being: Infiltrators may attack anyone on the bounty board or any nation they are at war with.  This would mean that any contract the nation of Assassins gets will make them adjust relations.  It will help to provide a diplomatic security to the assassins making contracts aka public and open.

I am also in favor of realms not being limited on the game mechanics in dealing with infiltrators... with the exception of infiltrators having the option to pay ransom to a realm to have a ban lifted...this will help to allow infiltrators to remain in the colonies and not be forced to leave the Colonies when their actions start to become too limited.

It will basically help to create an economy in the assassination trade.

Lukon realm will divide up Portion city, Wetham city and Lukon city to become 3 smaller realms. That is good for the rest of the realms as we all seem to play second-fiddle to Lukon.

Oritolon realm has Oritolon city, Alebad city and Alowca city. Look like we may see resurrection of Alebad realm and Alowca realm.

Outer Tilog realm may consider divide their cities up as well. Who do not want more votes power in future Emperor or Empress? ;D

That is the plan.  Once all realms agree and details worked out, the realms will want to break up to ensure they have more votes...

Minas Thalion realm has nothing much to offer. There has been relocation request to Oritolon realm but it was rebuffed ::)

MT has something to offer.  They are the smallest realm but their survival alone is testament to what they have to offer.  IMO

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 10, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
MT has something to offer.  They are the smallest realm but their survival alone is testament to what they have to offer.  IMO

Their survival could also be viewed as their insignificance because others can't be bothered with them... :)
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 10, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
Their survival could also be viewed as their insignificance because others can't be bothered with them... :)
Good point...

They did choose the region farthest North of everyone.  BUT... they have been asked to consider joining with the Assassins and share the Dark Citadel... making it a center for religions and assassins.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 11, 2013, 12:21:35 AM »
If only it weren't for realm mergers being a no-no, I like the idea of being able to keep the Duchy of Koolaris, or rename it Drenga, and have the Guild with two duchies divided by the river.  Though I guess that could also be properly made by the ruler of the new Assassins and the margrave of DC.

In all honesty though, I moreso like the idea of just letting the north east be to do with what they have now.  Not like they can recruit to any meaningful extent, but they can already do the assassination bit.  The only thing they can't do in relation to that is cash bonds, so bounties would be more of a guild thing anyways.... Return of the Assassin's Guild.