Author Topic: And a new realm lives!  (Read 179593 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: And a new realm lives!
« Reply #645: February 10, 2013, 02:56:23 AM »
Well, obviously. If there's no overwhelming military reason not to annex a piece of territory, it is naturally imperative to do so.

...At least that's what I think you're saying.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #646: February 10, 2013, 04:34:27 AM »
It was a purely OOC comment. Yea, all Morekian rulers have been friendly-friendly with the Lurias. I'm not denying this. But why? Why, when you are so strong, and have so many allies, block the possibility of hostile interaction with a foreign block that poses no threat while still being able to put up a fight. I mean, if it had been me, I'd have seen no point in getting any relations with the Lurias whatsoever, it'd have kept doors open for me should I have needed a distraction to keep my nobles busy.

I have a really hard time understanding what Morek has to gain by being friendly to the Lurias. Had they been more aggressive, some Lurians might have been tempted to convert just to avert invasion. Or some of them might have been pissed and taken measures against Morek: an excuse to beat 'em up, support astroist factions, or otherwise impose astromancy.

Or anything, really. The Lurias don't have any friends, it's not like they could have mounted up a coalition against Morek. Not one able to threaten it, at least.

Just seems to me like making more friends than necessary is just as bad as making more foes than necessary. One needs a balance. Sure there must be stuff I'm unaware of, but it seems like a lot of people were boring themselves in the North for quite some time at one point, gotta wonder why this avenue wasn't pursued.

Ah, there's your mistake.

Morek's goal is the mere accumulation of vast hegemony. They don't need exciting wars; they need food food supplies, no threats, and the ability to gobble up any small neighbors. Like Libero. Or Swordfell in the future.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #647: February 10, 2013, 07:33:32 AM »
Well, obviously. If there's no overwhelming military reason not to annex a piece of territory, it is naturally imperative to do so.

...At least that's what I think you're saying.
No more like why make everyone your friend since that means no wars, which makes fun hard to generate though not impossible by a long shot.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #648: February 10, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

I was thinking of writing up a document for the Political Science Department of the University to discuss Just War theory (in a BattleMaster/Dwilight-esque way), but figured nobody would care/practice it.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #649: February 10, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »
I was thinking of writing up a document for the Political Science Department of the University to discuss Just War theory (in a BattleMaster/Dwilight-esque way), but figured nobody would care/practice it.
Does that department actually exist? And I am sure if it was actually done well, people would care. Also, this would likely be something that if you asked for help IG, people would give it.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #650: February 11, 2013, 03:22:51 AM »
...And I am sure if it was actually done well, people would care. Also, this would likely be something that if you asked for help IG, people would give it.

I highly doubt that. I've lost faith in people's level of interest. Majority of nobles are spectators only.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #651: February 11, 2013, 08:20:53 AM »
I highly doubt that. I've lost faith in people's level of interest. Majority of nobles are spectators only.
majority of players don't care to repeat what happened but do care about war theory.
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #652: February 11, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
Does that department actually exist?

Honestly, if you want to found that department, just write something up and ask for it to be created for you.

Just writing something up is the only real requirement to get a Deanship in the DU.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #653: February 12, 2013, 05:28:58 AM »

There is a Political Studies Department already, but nothing's been approved on it and I think the one guy who petitioned for it fell on deaf ears...academics, eh? No vigour to act!

Vote Demon for School President!

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #654: February 12, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »

Ismail would totally be down to help.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #655: February 17, 2013, 05:54:13 AM »
There has been a complaint about you, and the Titans have decided that a punishment of Public Reprimand is appropriate. Here is the reason:
There have been complaints over the course of the past few weeks regarding a high level of "Out-of-character" (OOC) messages in the realm of Swordfell. During one three day period nearly 150 OOC messages were sent. That is completely unacceptable. While this complaint was specifically filed against the character Bowie Ironsides, he was not the only, or even the worst, offender.

This warning therefore applies to the entire realm of Swordfell: Out-of-character messaging on Dwilight is to be kept to an absolute minimum. Messages should be limited to notices of planned absences, simple questions about game mechanics, and other simple subjects. Extensive and continued debates should be handled in-character to the maximum extent possible. When not possible, please consider taking the debate to the forums, or handling it by private messaging.

OOC insults against other players will not be tolerated, and should be reported immediately.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #656: February 17, 2013, 10:01:44 AM »
Damn.

150?

Wow.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #657: February 17, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
And that's only in a three day period.  Curious what the entire timeline would be...

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #658: February 17, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
They'll just take it to the IRC. These guys are notorious OOC users and a slap on the wrist won't change that, it's in their blood.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659: February 17, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
Excessive OOC discussion is what IRC is all about.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.