Author Topic: Monarchy experiment  (Read 4842 times)

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Monarchy experiment
« Topic Start: April 07, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »
I am trying to create a true Monarchy in Asylon, one where the ruler chooses the heir to the throne. There will still be an election of course and the heir could lose the election, but ether way the heir will have a claim on the throne.

As you know I have no son to take the throne and therefore no biological heir. Whoever next comes to the throne will be my heir in spirit, but this does not mean I shall be without say in the matter. I have been watching all of you in your service to Asylon and seeing who is most fit to carry the mantle of leadership. However, I have yet to chose an heir. Therefore nobles of Asylon, if you feel that you are deserving of the crown, then present yourself to me and tell me why you should take the crown.

My eye shall be on each one of you in this coming month, and before it has ended one of you will be declared the heir to the throne.

I am interested to see how this turns out.
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Monarchy experiment
« Reply #1: April 07, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
Interesting, but I'd be surprised to see it work. Although, if it does Asylon may well have a tradition to carry on.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: April 07, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
Problem is it's difficult to enforce.  Claims to the throne are often denounced when a new ruler is hailed.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »
Depends on how respected the outgoing Ruler is, and who you pick.  Jenred announced Drake as his heir a year or so ago, with everything basically nodding and murmuring agreement.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 07, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
Problem is it's difficult to enforce.  Claims to the throne are often denounced when a new ruler is hailed.

There was a great deal of trouble in Irombrozia when the realm realized Valachi Stefanovic was next-in-line for the throne. He could have claimed it, but opted not to.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 08, 2011, 01:12:02 AM »
There was a great deal of trouble in Irombrozia when the realm realized Valachi Stefanovic was next-in-line for the throne. He could have claimed it, but opted not to.

That was AWESOME. I wish he'd claimed the throne.

Irombrozia tried to do something like this, but it broadly failed. Link is here:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Irombrozia/Royal_Family

It didn't work because Irombrozia wasn't very long-lived, and people didn't get as into it as I'd hoped.

But, if you can make it work, more power to ya!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 08, 2011, 04:20:52 AM »
That was AWESOME. I wish he'd claimed the throne.

He was unfortunately preoccupied with the impending daimon resuregence ;)
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #7: April 08, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
Huh, was Valachi already "god" of the "Netherworld" at the time he could have reclaimed his throne?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 08, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
I think he may have been. I know I contacted him through the ruler channel, though God may not have been his title yet.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 08, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »
Irombrozia tried to do something like this, but it broadly failed. Link is here:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Irombrozia/Royal_Family

It didn't work because Irombrozia wasn't very long-lived, and people didn't get as into it as I'd hoped.

I don't know if it was that no one was interested, or just that no one accumulated enough points to be the clear winner :) We were so small, most everyone had points of some kind from lordships and positions. Of course, my own reason is that Baiko was just not ruler material, even if she had a claim, she didn't want any part of it.