Author Topic: Melees as a tournament event  (Read 7205 times)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
Re: Melees as a tournament event
« Topic Start: January 11, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
Really? I thought is rather disappointing... I watched a few other clips from the same tournament and I was just plain surprised. Looks like a little too much like football (the American variety). I was also under the impression that knights wore such heavy armor that they could not get up unassisted once downed. I figured such armor would make sprinting  less likely. Those guys are crazy tough though. I would be screaming in pain 30 seconds into it!

In what way does it look like American football?  It looks like people fighting and trying to kill each other to me, which is what battles tend to look like. . . .

As for mobility in armor . . . there are a lot of misconceptions about how hard it was to move in armor.  Most all of them are completely and totally untrue.  Sure, it's heavy, and if you're not in good shape and have never worn it before, it's going to hinder you a fair bit, and you'll certainly get tired quicker in it, but armor that makes it hard to do the things you need to do in combat (like running) isn't much use for anything besides looking pretty (and there was armor designed only to look pretty and not be used in combat).  Knights wearing full armor were surprising mobile.

Videos from my summer vacation, for those wanting to see more actual mass combat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmqMbXcCB1M&list=PL34462A6A7C96B941&index=1  (I don't take part in the fighting, for those wondering).