Author Topic: The Lords of Midnight  (Read 2287 times)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The Lords of Midnight
« Topic Start: January 11, 2013, 04:17:08 AM »
For anyone who's never heard of The Lords of Midnight, it's well worth a play.

http://www.thelordsofmidnight.com/index2.html

The game was originally released in 1984 and was light years ahead of its time. This version is newly modified to be playable on iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, PC, etc. It doesn't seem to be well known outside of the UK and parts of Europe. Like many games of that era it never really gained popularity in the States because it was a computer game in a time when North America was much more geared towards the early consoles. Sadly, Mike Singleton, the game's creator, died in 2012 without ever getting the wide-spread recognition he should have had as a pioneering game developer. He did complete a sequel to Lords of Midnight, but the third Midnight game to round out the trilogy was never finished (as far as I know).

The gameplay is a mixture of strategy game and adventure game as you recruit and lead armies on the one hand, while also trying to sneak-defeat the enemy by getting two or three other characters into the enemy lair without being noticed. Either method will get you a win, but don't expect it to be a pushover! One piece of advice to anyone who plays is to download yourself a fan created map so you don't get too lost - the playing area is massive. Maps and other interesting stuff can be found here: http://www.icemark.com/tower/.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:05:08 AM by Foxglove »

Ulfang

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Re: The Lords of Midnight
« Reply #1: August 01, 2013, 02:34:55 AM »
ADORED this game on the Spectrum back in the 80's and the follow up - Doomdark's Revenge! I bought this when it came out on the ipad and it's great although dated now obviously. I hope Doomdark's Revenge ends up coming out on IOS.

Lacedaemon

• Knight
  • Amyclas, Belarus, Aigre Valens
    • View Profile
Re: The Lords of Midnight
« Reply #2: September 16, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »
Piracy, for fun and profit. And for bums like me who play free games like Battlemaster.

* moderator note: sorry, can't allow torrent links on a public forum we have our names attached to. *
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:21:43 AM by Tom »