Author Topic: new takeover system  (Read 3786 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
new takeover system
« Topic Start: January 11, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
anyone has experience with it?
For me its a bit weird, i dont understand if you always have to pick one way to do the takeover or people could indivualy decide.
Do the TO completion precentages add up for example or do you have to pick either three of them?
Is there any fear or sympathy taken in account that has been before the TO starts?
Is there a quick way to TO and a secure way now or is it all evenly fast and stable?
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: new takeover system
« Reply #1: January 11, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »
1 bloke starts TO
everyone else join in with their action.

based on their action, you get some numbers for fear, sympathy. i think there's a "balanced" thing too.. but it's been a long time since i was anywhere near a TO.

every turn a check is done.. once a number pops over 100% at the turn check, it's done.
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 11, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
I've never seen anyone try a balanced one. Almost only sympathy takeovers.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 11, 2013, 01:59:37 PM »
Yeah I've only seen sympathy takeovers attempted so far, even in regions that hate the realms doing them, which I suspect is rather inefficient.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 11, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
I've seen CE do some brutal takeovers in the north. Sorraine should have done some against OW, but the leaders were too "nice" or something, and went for sympathy TOs.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 11, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »
I've run a lot of takeovers using the new TO system and had quite a lot of opportunities to experiment with it. A balanced takeover will normally take you about twice as long as either a fear or a sympathy one. When you get the TO progress stats each turn, you have to rebalance the TO activities you're having people perform so that you have the right amount of fear activities balancing the sympathy activities (or visa versa). How fast your progress towards a successful balanced TO moves will depend on you finding the most efficient balance between the fear and sympathetic activites - that's something you can experiment with like I did  ;) Towards the end of the last war I fought I got a successful balanced TO down to about 5 days from start to finish (if I'm remembering it right).

The fastest TOs are done by picking either fear or sympathy and sticking with those activities - i.e. having everyone work towards the same goal, whether that's sympathy or fear. There might be a benefit in have a small amount of fear during a sympathy TO, or a small amount of sympathy during a fear TO - but I'm not entirely clear on that myself.  If the people of the region hate you, go for a fear TO. If they like you, try for a sympathy TO. I've seen some military commanders in Atamara just allowing everyone to do what ever activities they want, and that normally leads to the TO taking far too long.

But having said all that, I've really seen no difference in the levels of control in a region after a TO has been completed, regardless of whether it was fear, sympathy, or balanced. In almost all cases I've seen, you can expect a revolt 1 or 2 turns after the end of the TO, which your soldiers will put down by force, and then things should start to settle down (unless you're pushed out of the region by the enemy).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:38:58 PM by Foxglove »

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 11, 2013, 05:29:36 PM »
I think the type will really start to matter when you can rule a region with Fear or Sympathy.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: January 11, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
I've never seen anyone try a balanced one. Almost only sympathy takeovers.
OG did a balanced one before.  Took longer than anything else. :/

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 11, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »
Some acts improve sympathy and decrease fear, some increase fear and decrease sympathy. Do any improve both? I must say I haven't tried many of them, other than help the locals and freedom celebration (which, even if the region has 105% sympathy to my realm and 1% loyalty to the current holder, still says that the locals just come for the free beer).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 11, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
(which, even if the region has 105% sympathy to my realm and 1% loyalty to the current holder, still says that the locals just come for the free beer).
Some soldiers are parading around the market giving free beer and saying that their realm is great. The issue is they advertised free beer and people stopped listening so they all they heard was free beer, drank it, and heard none of the praise because they were too drunk once you stopped giving them beer. There is your answer for that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: January 11, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »
still says that the locals just come for the free beer).

Not true. The actual flavor text is:
The people seem sceptical to your announcements, and you have a suspicion many of them came for the free ale, but they seem a bit happier now.

It says that you suspect and it says many (not all).

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 11, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
Not true. The actual flavor text is:
It says that you suspect and it says many (not all).
Close enough/means the same thing.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 12, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »
Close enough/means the same thing.

Indeed. It makes the option feel weak, even if it's just flavor text and the impact is significant. Also a big cock-block to any true liberation campaign RP. "We are coming to save you from the oppressors that you hate! Join us back, brothers!" "Meh, just give us more beer."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 12, 2013, 12:18:34 AM »
Indeed. It makes the option feel weak, even if it's just flavor text and the impact is significant. Also a big cock-block to any true liberation campaign RP. "We are coming to save you from the oppressors that you hate! Join us back, brothers!" "Meh, just give us more beer."
Currently I really dislike the current takeover system as the entire thing is all flavor, no impact, so everything is f’ed up because it was made for new stats but we have no new stats so loyalty is not affected and control stays at whatever the region is then you take it and it could be at core already. Sure it has great potential but it shouldn't haven't been implemented until fear and sympathy (sympathy that's actually affected by this) were also implemented, IMO.
― G.K. Chesterton

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 12, 2013, 02:26:13 AM »
Currently I really dislike the current takeover system as the entire thing is all flavor, no impact, so everything is f’ed up because it was made for new stats but we have no new stats so loyalty is not affected and control stays at whatever the region is then you take it and it could be at core already. Sure it has great potential but it shouldn't haven't been implemented until fear and sympathy (sympathy that's actually affected by this) were also implemented, IMO.

So, they added flavor without really changing the dynamic of TO while they work on the new system? Sounds like a good transitional step to me.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)