Author Topic: January 2013 Roadmap (Late)  (Read 2799 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
January 2013 Roadmap (Late)
« Topic Start: January 14, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
Things are returning to normal, I hope everyone had a great holiday!

January2013 Goals:
Continued Doctrine Conversion
Test the New Message System on all islands
Continued Facebook updates
Embedded IRC Chat - Live
Food Balance Tweaking

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

Best regards,
Scott

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: January 2013 Roadmap (Late)
« Reply #1: January 14, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
Test the New Message System on all islands

As much as it pains me, but we might want to shelve that. Reception has been largely negative.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 15, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »
I think that most of the negative comments were in the details. There were some positive comments as well. As someone pointed out people are comparing a message system that has been honed for years and includes many fancy details with a brand new system that will need a little love. Though my first impression inclined me to prefer the old system, I would prefer to not give up on the new system yet. Here is what I recall being key issues presented:

1. Past messages to a groups (ruler channel for example) should not be visible to new members of that group except for basic groups like Realm and Army.
2. The interface could be enhanced a bit, both in useability and look/feel.
3. Message searching options, like those present today, would be great.

The big one was #1. I think that if if it were fixed and if the message system would continue to be improved after implementation, many would be fine with moving forward with the new system. I would love to hear what others think!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 15, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
I think that most of the negative comments were in the details. There were some positive comments as well. As someone pointed out people are comparing a message system that has been honed for years and includes many fancy details with a brand new system that will need a little love. Though my first impression inclined me to prefer the old system, I would prefer to not give up on the new system yet. Here is what I recall being key issues presented:

1. Past messages to a groups (ruler channel for example) should not be visible to new members of that group except for basic groups like Realm and Army.
2. The interface could be enhanced a bit, both in useability and look/feel.
3. Message searching options, like those present today, would be great.

The big one was #1. I think that if if it were fixed and if the message system would continue to be improved after implementation, many would be fine with moving forward with the new system. I would love to hear what others think!
I think you are a bit mistaken on that as the big issue was that you lost messages when you lost a position or was no longer apart of a message group.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 15, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
As much as it pains me, but we might want to shelve that. Reception has been largely negative.
I think people like the core of the new messaging system, but they want a refined system like what we have. They don't want something with potential, they want something that is already great. Many of the things that were wanted were little things that the current system has, IMO.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 15, 2013, 08:44:22 AM »
I think you are a bit mistaken on that as the big issue was that you lost messages when you lost a position or was no longer apart of a message group.

I guess the first point was two-fold then. I distinctly recall huge complaints that when a ruler was replaced the new ruler would have access to all his underhand dealings. The second half did certainly come up and was important. I simply forgot about it!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 15, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
I guess the first point was two-fold then. I distinctly recall huge complaints that when a ruler was replaced the new ruler would have access to all his underhand dealings.

That is vastly less important than losing access to all your old realm messages if you leave the realm, ruler messages when you lose rulership, etc.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan